WFL 3 piece drumset dating plus cymbals help

jmele2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another friend of mine looking for info on his elderly father's drumset. 24" Bass drum, no floor tom that we know of. Looks like a 6.5" deep snare? 12 or 13 RT, unsure at the moment. I'm no expert on Ludwigs from this time period. Looks like 50's to me. Any help as to age would be great.

Would this drumset have been sold without a FT?

BD hoops look original, but am unsure about the tom hoops.

Ride looks like 80s to me? Bounce ride looks pretty cool to me, when did Z stop making them? Alejian- I know I've seen info on them here, but can't remember anything about them.

I'm still waiting on sizes of cymbals...

As always, thanks for any and all information you all can provide.

IMG_2761.jpeg
IMG_2477.jpeg
IMG_2480.jpeg
IMG_2482.jpeg
IMG_2483.jpeg
IMG_2774.jpeg
IMG_2775.jpeg
IMG_2778.jpeg

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The silver WFL badges are right at post war, 48-50, the gold one is 50-55, the last badge before WFL Sr bought back his name from CGConn in 55. After that, the keystone badge said both WFL and Ludwig, then the blue/gold Ludwig transition badge.

Very likely there is no FT, common at the time and in the catalogs. That is typical hoop mounts of the day, especially on the less expensive kits (duco paint, single center lugs, etc). It all makes sense.

The bounce ride is a trans stamp from the same 47-54 era. The Ride is a 60s stamp. Alejian was the Slingerland house name iirc, but was still Zildjian. Good stuff your friend has.

Last edited:

Roch

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the exact kit at one point and it did come with a ft..but it wasn't original..It looked like it came from another kit/era..but, it matched pretty good

brokenstick

Reaction score
Nice to see.I'm forming some my old stuff into a 4 piece player right now.24" mahogany finish marching bass,Zephyr toms and a 6 1/2 Pioneer.Vout

jmele2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The silver WFL badges are right at post war, 48-50, the gold one is 50-55, the last badge before WFL Sr bought back his name from CGConn in 55. After that, the keystone badge said both WFL and Ludwig, then the blue/gold Ludwig transition badge.

Very likely there is no FT, common at the time and in the catalogs. That is typical hoop mounts of the day, especially on the less expensive kits (duco paint, single center lugs, etc). It all makes sense.

The bounce ride is a trans stamp from the same 47-54 era. The Ride is a 60s stamp. Alejian was the Slingerland house name iirc, but was still Zildjian. Good stuff your friend has.
Great information, thanks so much! I was thinking the cymbals would be much later in age. Very nice

jmele2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tom looks as large, or larger than the snare.
Maybe just the pic angle?
More details as you get them please.
Cool kit!

Here's your cymbal help.
Thanks - my friend is out of town and not close to the drums, will definitely have him measure the drums again. I'm thinking it's probably a 13 and just looks weird because of the angle, but who knows...

jmele2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a close-up of the Bounce ride stamp:

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 11.23.19 PM.png

jmele2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a couple of pics of the "Ride" cymbal stamp:

IMG_2776.jpeg
IMG_2777.jpeg

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Nice set! It is also plausible that the 9x13 was added later as it has the gold badge. The bass and snare probably are late 40's. Lots of people did this back in the day when they could only afford certain pieces. Because these are club date drums (student models), it's not out of the realm to assume that the 9x13 was added at a later date.

jmele2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice set! It is also plausible that the 9x13 was added later as it has the gold badge. The bass and snare probably are late 40's. Lots of people did this back in the day when they could only afford certain pieces. Because these are club date drums (student models), it's not out of the realm to assume that the 9x13 was added at a later date.
Thanks for your help and information!

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Beautiful. It was common during this period for the manufacturers to offer kits without a floor tom. The clip on tom mount is normally mounted to the batter side of the bass, closer to the player.

jmele2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful. It was common during this period for the manufacturers to offer kits without a floor tom. The clip on tom mount is normally mounted to the batter side of the bass, closer to the player.
Yes! great and thanks - my friend is a saxophone player and definitely doesn't know how to set up that mounted tom...