WFL and Roy Haynes

poetman

Reaction score
I'm curious if others know what dates Roy Haynes played WFL drums. The ad names him with Prez, and the catalog with Bird. I have always wondered what size his drums were with Bird. WFL doesn't seem to offer 12/14/20 setups in standard depths. The 8x12 and 14x20 could be offered, but their 14"s were 12" deep. Any thoughts?

Could these be WFLs?

Attachments

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts?
that's a 16" there right?

And it's his classic set up sizes/ at the time right? with that little snare drum.. looks a 12/20...12 and 16 ?
September 1953
around there...

there's a good shot/ Sparkle version ^

Last edited:

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
that's a 16" there right?

And it's his classic set up sizes/ at the time right? with that little snare drum.. looks a 12/20...12 and 16 ?
September 1953
around there...

there's a good shot/ Sparkle version ^
It's hard to envision that this existed, but it sure did. Just off the hook!

I refer to the pic with Bird, Monk et al.

poetman

Reaction score
To answer the NYT, yes, that is the greater photo in jazz history! Has down. Top players and amazing shot!

I know Haynes used a smaller bass drum, but I think that was a bit later with Ludwig. It's hard to tell what dimensions this kit is, but maybe JDA's right on the 16" and it could just be a 13/16/20 or a 12/16/20. Whatever the case, whatever he is playing at the London House--and on the dates with Bird--sounds so good!

Here's the NYT article https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/08/...k-charlier-parker.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I'm thinking that Roy started using WFL drums around 1948-49. Looks like he's using a Buddy Rich bebop piccolo with both of the sets pictured. I though the jazzette was created for Roy around 1966? I could be wrong about that though.

Morello Man

Reaction score
I doubt that’s his kit - in the shot with Prez. The Massey Hall shot looks like an 18 or 20, not a 16 as someone mentioned. The ads show what he played, not gig shots - they could be anybody’s kits or a house kit.

poetman

Reaction score
I doubt that’s his kit - in the shot with Prez. The Massey Hall shot looks like an 18 or 20, not a 16 as someone mentioned. The ads show what he played, not gig shots - they could be anybody’s kits or a house kit.
Definitely true! I'm just trying to keep this thread alive. His kit in the WFL ad doesn't seem to match the Ludwig catalog offerings.