WFL and Roy Haynes

Jolo

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know, but this is my favorite picture of Roy behind his Ludwig Jazzette kit circa 1966. I refinished my Jazzette to match his.....12, 14, 12x18, Supra.

View attachment 537886
Wow, I just realized I’ve been working on the identical Mahogany Jazzette set.

Attachments

• 87429078-F360-42FC-827F-3C39B988CDC2.jpeg
    87429078-F360-42FC-827F-3C39B988CDC2.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 20

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Did they do a 5 lug 13? Whatever it is in the ad picture the lugs are spaced quite a distance apart. Reminds me of a 5 lug Gretsch 12 but if they put 5 lugs on 13s at the time then it's still inconclusive.

There is that clip of Buddy Rich jamming with Bird where he's using a micro set so it appears that endorsers might not have been strictly locked into using cataloged sizes.

I love the way Bird shows genuine appreciation for Buddy’s musicianship.

Jolo

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My set is the original reddish brown lacquer over mahogany which isn't as nice as your darker shinier finish but it is original so I'll tackle the scuffs
when the weather up here in Minnesota warms up. Or I may just assemble it without touching up the scuffs and let each one hold it's own story.
It also has one original solid (no inlay) batter hoop and a switched 60's Ludwig triple flanged front hoop which is a little weird but it works.

Last edited:

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My set is the original reddish brown lacquer over mahogany which isn't as nice as your darker shinier finish but it is original so I'll tackle the scuffs
when the weather up here in Minnesota warms up. Or I may just assemble it without touching up the scuffs and let each one hold it's own story.
It also has one original solid (no inlay) batter hoop and a switched 60's Ludwig triple flanged front hoop which is a little weird but it works.

Cool project. What process do you use to touch up the scuffs on a finish like that?

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did they do a 5 lug 13? Whatever it is in the ad picture the lugs are spaced quite a distance apart. Reminds me of a 5 lug Gretsch 12 but if they put 5 lugs on 13s at the time then it's still inconclusive.

There is that clip of Buddy Rich jamming with Bird where he's using a micro set so it appears that endorsers might not have been strictly locked into using cataloged sizes.

Yes, I had a white laquer 13" . Shell was egg shaped , I kept the lugs and hoops . Nickel over brass 5 lug .

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you know whether that is real wood veneer or a wrap?
That's actual mahogany which at the time was the standard outer ply on almost every Ludwig drum. At the time the Jazzette was only cataloged in either a mahogany or maple "Thermogloss" (hot sprayed nitro lacquer) finish. Pretty much all wrapped Ludwigs at this time had an outer ply of mahogany, with these they were just finished off. Obviously if you selected maple finish the shells would have maple outer plies in place of the mahogany.
It's apparent that they would do wrapped Jazzettes as well as such sets do exist but that option wasn't mentioned in the catalog. In the early 70s they replaced the natural wood finishes with cortex (Formica) versions of faux woodgrain but those would have B/O badges.

I'd kill to stumble onto one of these sets in either finish that I could afford, so far no such luck.

67LD~164.JPG

LU-PG013.JPG

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's actual mahogany which at the time was the standard outer ply on almost every Ludwig drum. At the time the Jazzette was only cataloged in either a mahogany or maple "Thermogloss" (hot sprayed nitro lacquer) finish. Pretty much all wrapped Ludwigs at this time had an outer ply of mahogany, with these they were just finished off. Obviously if you selected maple finish the shells would have maple outer plies in place of the mahogany.
It's apparent that they would do wrapped Jazzettes as well as such sets do exist but that option wasn't mentioned in the catalog. In the early 70s they replaced the natural wood finishes with cortex (Formica) versions of faux woodgrain but those would have B/O badges.

I'd kill to stumble onto one of these sets in either finish that I could afford, so far no such luck.

View attachment 538329
View attachment 538330
Wow! Thanks for all the info. Like a history lesson.

Jolo

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool project. What process do you use to touch up the scuffs on a finish like that?
Repairing the scuffs would probably involve lacquer thinner, stains, and lacquer and some advice from a wood refinisher I know.
If it requires refinishing the entire drum I may leave them as is. I know a guy who has a 1958 Stratocaster that's pretty rough but still pretty cool.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I love the way Bird shows genuine appreciation for Buddy’s musicianship.
WFL was making 5 lug per side toms in the zephyr lug era and that carried over to the early classic lug wfl drums. The first year of the classic lug drums featured small lugs on all the toms. After maybe a year they went with large lugs. The early classic lug WFL drums also featured the chip pattern style of WMP and within a year or so, changed to the common Ludwig style WMP that Ludwig was famous for.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
WFL was making 5 lug per side toms in the zephyr lug era and that carried over to the early classic lug wfl drums. The first year of the classic lug drums featured small lugs on all the toms. After maybe a year they went with large lugs. The early classic lug WFL drums also featured the chip pattern style of WMP and within a year or so, changed to the common Ludwig style WMP that Ludwig was famous for.
Thanks for the info. But, I think you meant to repond to another post.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. But, I think you meant to repond to another post.
It goes back to trying to figure out the sizes of one of the sets Roy is shown with earlier in the thread. Whether a 5 lug drum locks it into being a 12" tom...apparently not as there were 5 lug 13s early on.

Another thought on the floor tom. Probably a 16 as the early 14" toms were 12x14 and the "unsquare" ratio should be obvious.