WFL bass drum out of round

Chris o

Reaction score
Hello all.
I have a problem I am hoping someone can help me with.
I have an old mahagony wfl 22" bass drum .
One re ring came unglued and the previous owner epoxied it back but did a lousy job and didnt glue it back at the right spot leaving gaps and a big mess and basically glued the drum out of round.
I got the epoxy off and and want to save this drum .
My question is would it be better to use a new rering that is in round like a 22" rpre cut ring from drummaker? Do you think this would help it get back in round?
Or try and get it back with the old rering.
Any suggestions or tips would be very appreciated.
Thank you

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would dry fit the ring and see if it brings it back in round.
Is the ring still glued together? I didn’t know that replacement rings are available, I don’t think my ocd would allow me to use them!!

Chris o

Reaction score
The ring is not connected at the scarf joint but it is still glued in a couple places.
It would be a modern re ring 8 ply I think but no scarf joint.
Basically a 1 1/2" cut off of a Keller shell

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
You could try and rotate the existing ring to a new position and re glue and clamp .

REF

Reaction score
Just as an experiment, measure how out of round it is, get yourself a wood clamp long enough to span the entire shell, place the clamp over the widest area and squeeze it in until all your measurements are close to equal. Leave the clamp on for a month in the most warm and humid place you can - basement, garage, laundry room, attic, wherever. After a month take the clamp off and check it again. If it's better, continue but, know there is a reason the drum went out of round to begin with. Wood does what it does and could do it again. A re-ring is not likely to change those pressures in the cells of the wood, especially the older the drum is.

On the positive side, look at Trixon. Sounds like a bass drum to me. Their conical shells are hardly perfect, most of the time, on vintage sets, either, and they still sound good. I have purchased Keller shells that came to me out of round. Nothing crazy but, not perfect, either.

As long as you can get the heads on your drum, you can manipulate your head tension to get good sound.

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You can cut the outside diameter out of a piece of plywood, make sure you get it as close to perfect as possible
Put the plywood over the drum and position it where the ring goes
Clamp and glue the ring back on the shell and try and get clamps In a few spots to hold the shell tight to the plywood
once the glue dries it will hold the shell in the shape of the plywood , which if cut really good will be in round

Latest posts