WFL Buddy Rich Super Classic

Vibes

Reaction score
A drummer friend called me last week and said he had some old Ludwig shells he wasn't going to do anything with and asked me if I might be interested in them. He said he had intended to clean them up but didn't have the time. The floor tom has a transition badge and no date stamps were in the drums so I am thinking 1955-59 . COB rims. I had been wanting a WMP set for a long time and was about to rewrap my Big R set in a vintage marine Pearl. These have a little fade but absolutely beautiful. He practically gave them to me. Nice Remo ambassador heads all around except the 16" batter which I had. And fibre skin reso and PS3 batter. So I was set. They were dirty but in really great condition. I took every screw,bolt,spring, washers, lug, rim, hoop, rod, off and cleaned and polished everything. I put the rail, tom, and cymbal amounts away for safe keeping. The tops to the cymbal mounts were missing, and no L arms, I have L arms but no cymbal mount top parts. They came out beautiful and sound great. These are lifetime keepers Just missed getting a matching snare shell for them yesterday. Darn it. Had the hardware for it too.

Attachments

Vibes

Reaction score
Looking for opinions. I don't believe the original drums shipped with a bass drum logo. I ordered a nice WFL logo. Should I put the logo on or no ?

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Very nice find! I know they sound nice. I also put a WFL decal on mine even though they probably did not come with one.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking for opinions. I don't believe the original drums shipped with a bass drum logo. I ordered a nice WFL logo. Should I put the logo on or no ?
no

markrocks68

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Excellent set and you are right, those are the shells of greatness and thats a keeper. Congrats!

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like the logo and drums haven't yellowed much. Possibly point to these drums not being gigged much in clubs where smoking took place.

Vibes

Reaction score
The guy I got them from could not tell Me any history of them. They have yellowed some . The bass drum on one side in particular. Must have been sitting somewhere in the sun on that side. The shells and wrap are not beat or scratched up. If they were gigged they must have been in cases. The drums themselves are in excellent shape. I keep applying Meguires headlight cleaner on that yellow side. The drums really sound great.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Amazing looking drums. Does the floor tom have a transition badge?
You're a lucky man!

Vibes

Reaction score
Thanks Bob, going to mic it up in the studio tomorrow and see how it records. Hopefully I will be able to perform on it live in the not too distant future.

Latest posts