WFL Mystery Surprise (player/resto questions, not for the purist!)

deegeebee

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Managed to get this WFL project for pretty cheap. Didn't really know what to expect other than the previous owner had applied a veneer over the wrap to cover up the holes left by a Pearl tom mount. Just got them today, haven't had time to pull off all the veneer yet, but so far looks like it should be possible to restore into a very nice player kit - which is exactly what I have been after.

14x22, 16x16, 8x12, shells dated 1957-1958. Cool red+blue=turquoise sparkle wrap underneath is original. Hoops, ft legs and brackets, claws, rods are not original, lugs look like later Ludwigs, repro badges, but none of it looks out of place and is all in great shape. Edges and wood look really good aside from some extra holes. Bonus full set of new Remo heads worth about half what I paid for the kit.

Who know what surprises will lurk under that veneer, wish me luck! In the case of the bass drum there is even a layer of blue sparkl contact paper in between the wrap and the veneer, so kind of expecting that one to be a mess unsderneath.

Any advice on how best to clean the glue residue off the wrap? I have read that mineral spirits are the way to go, but thought I should double check. Guys said he used "protect spray adhesive". Hoping it is not corrosive enough to have eaten at the wrap.

Also on the lookout for some bd hoops or hoop inlays to match the 50s turquoise sparkle. Has anyone successfully recreated this colour using modern turquoise or blue sparkle? What would the width of the bass hoops/inlay have been?

I can post some more pictures as I get into it if anyone is interested. Won't be doing all the work myself, probably just the stripping and cleaning. There is a local guy here who is a wizard with the resto work so will probably leave that part to him if it looks worth doing.

Ooops, realize now this might be better suited to the builders workshop forum - mods please move if appropriate.

Attachments

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think youve got a nice WFL Blue Sparkle set there! Good luck and please post pics!

deegeebee

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Stuck in to it now. So far so good, going to take some doing. More craft store sparkle paper under there than I though. Doesn't leave a residue but is a B* to get off. Spray adhesive residue is coming off with some work and mineral spirits.

The 13" is more blue than the other two and the wrap is in better shape except for the bit of exposed wood at the seam. Interesting that they are all red-backed, even though the shade of blue/turquoise is quite different. Doesn't really support the notion that is was the red backing that turned the blue turquoise.
20200815_153240.jpg

The wrap on the 16 has some decent cracks, but actually don't mind the look of them. Might need to find a way to stabilize them, any suggestions welcome. Hadn't even thought to look originally, but even the 16" is drilled for a Pearl tom mount. Why?!
20200814_200852.jpg

The bass matches the ft in shade, still lots of sparkly crap to get off. Looks like swiss cheese with all the mount and spur holes, but those should be an easy fix. This drum has seen some things!

20200815_201705.jpg

Wood and edges still all look really good.

deegeebee

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Few more pics of progress - Definitely done all the easy stuff at this point, only the miserable hell work left. I posted for help in resto/rehab tips, have some glue that mineral spirits and/or heat are not getting off.

FT looks pretty good:
20200823_145932.jpg
20200823_145950.jpg
20200823_145918.jpg

BD and rack tom still have some sparkly contact paper/vinyl wrap crap I am having teouble getting off - any suggestions welcome:
20200823_155250.jpg
20200823_181533.jpg

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow what a project. After all the cosmetics are done are you considering having the edges looked at or redone to factory specs?

deegeebee

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow what a project. After all the cosmetics are done are you considering having the edges looked at or redone to factory specs?
Absolutely. Honestly though, the edges and wood in general (extra holes aside), are in amazing shape. Hard to imagine considering what these have been through. Could easily be tuned up as is and sound great. This was the main reason I bought them, despite the veneer over wrap hack job (sparkly crap was a surprise).

Only issues with the edges are a couple of small knicks, very minor rering separation on the FT and one dent in the BD edge where the previous owner (veneer dude) packed the BD on top of the knurled FT leg with only plastic wrap as protection (booo) to ship them to me.

That said, we have a local craftsman here that specializes in vintage ludwig resto work that I will get to patch the holes and have a go at the edges. Doing to cleanup work myself to save him the hassle and me the expense.

Recently got him to fully restore this beat to snot jazz fest I picked up for cheap, including a full reso edge recut.
Before:
20200721_134920.jpg
20200721_134941.jpg
20200721_134949.jpg

After:
20200811_140304.jpg
20200811_124607.jpg

20200823_194948_HDR.jpg

Anyone in Canada need this type of work done just let me know and I can put you in touch.

Last edited:

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got a good plan. Nice have some help from a guy who knows. Those will he great when finished.

deegeebee

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hang a stick bag over the cracks and go with it!!
Oh for sure! I am putting an honest effort into getting as much crud off of it as I can, getting the big pearl mount holes plugged and the edges touched up and then playing the crap out of it.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used the off brand Goo-Gone for this type of thing and it worked pretty well.

Excited to see how this comes out!