WFL or Legacy Mahogany- what’s the difference?

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
Looking into a wood snare and I really like the old school rock n roll sound of 50’s WFL snares. I’m also drawn to the modern trappings and fresh hardware of the legacy mahogany series. Is there a huge difference in sound or feel between mahogany plied 50s drums and Ludwigs modern reboot? There’s certainly a price difference.

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The older drums aren’t perfectly round. That’s really the only knock on them. Well they probably don’t have as wide a timing range either.
I prefer the sound of the older drums, but that’s highly subjective. Two big differences are the older drums will have brass hoops and very different snare beds.
If you want a wide tuning rangeI’d get a newer drum. You could always get a set of brass hoops for it.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a wonderful 50’s that I love but don’t often use it as my projects these days call for a more versatile drum, and I think Bijan’s points are on target. Perhaps this is one if those circumstances where you can give yourself leave to get both(?)

Going forward, I bet if you don’t get the vintage drum you’ll always be longing for one. I know I did. Things would be a lot more expensive if you were a guitarist.
6A03D2EE-8911-4DE7-85C9-BB52925A98D6.jpeg

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
if you want a new one, made to today's tolerances and high standards, buy a new Ludwig. They are fantastic. If you want old, vintage wood...search out a vintage drum. Like anything, you will have to play a few of them before you find the magic. Buy new, and you get the magic! Ludwig has really knocked it out of the park with their Legacy line..both the maple and mahogany.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've never seen or been in the same room - with the new one.
I've seen plenty I'm 'intimate' (gigs) with 2--6.5s - of the old ones : )
I got lucky I bought the first one in person and bought the second one online. So I don't know if there's a difference (new and old) or not. : ) I know what I paid for the old ones.
Mine are 6 - lug 6L. (6.5) I don't think they make those new. (490s)

Last edited: