WFL Super Snare

abryantp

Reaction score
I was once on here under the alias of drumbum31. I do not come on here as often as I did when I got bit by the vintage Ludwig bug in my teens a few years back. This forum has always been such a wealth of knowledge!

I was wondering if anyone is lucky enough to have a WFL Super in their possession - if so, I would love if you shared a photo or two and the story of when you found/bought it.

Cheers

markrocks68

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here you go. This one is as NICE as they can get. Dare I say it even looks brand new.
Found in a music stores attic in Buffalo NY about 6 years ago.
I ALMOST had another the other night on ebay but lost the auction by not much. DANG.
The goal is to have a players and a collectors version of all the models of all the awesome early WFL/Trans badge/pre serial COB snares.
As of right now, check on the Trans badge & preserials 5x14. I use them all the time.

Attachments

abryantp

Reaction score
@Mark

What an absolute gorgeous example of probably one of the most recorded snare models of all time! Love the story about finding it in Buffalo a few years back.

Have you tracked these a decent amount over the years? Are there a certain amount known to be produced? Typical purchase price for one in great condition? Also I have heard the throw off is the way to date as an earlier WFL Super or a later WFl Super - does anyone know anything on that?

Cheers

markrocks68

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
@Mark

What an absolute gorgeous example of probably one of the most recorded snare models of all time! Love the story about finding it in Buffalo a few years back.

Have you tracked these a decent amount over the years? Are there a certain amount known to be produced? Typical purchase price for one in great condition? Also I have heard the throw off is the way to date as an earlier WFL Super or a later WFl Super - does anyone know anything on that?

Cheers
Thank you! This drum is a center piece of my collection.
It's now goes with the earliest known Oyster Black Pearl kit I have from 56.
These are few and far between to find.
The ones that I seem to see more of then any are the pre serials from 60-63
Followed by the transition badge drums 58-60.
The old style heavy lugs are what I have read to determine the drum but the badge & weight are also indicators.
Not many were made but no idea on any numbers.
I know these rarely pop up.
there is one on ebay right now that is missing the badge on it, but included.
Most of these can be found for under 1K but any 6.5 or the 402/403's will be big bucks.
https://www.notsomoderndrummer.com/not-so-modern-drummer/2016/12/14/1956-wfl-buddy-rich-model-super-classic-drum-set

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow...that's gorgeous and quite ambitious! I have both a pre-serial COB 5x14 Supra and S.S......that's good enough for me! Now, if I happen to come across a WFL COB....hmmm.
But if I do come across a 6.5" COB, I'll jump on it!

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a shot at one but instead got a TB 400 to go with my TB 402. The WFL belonged to a friend. I sold it and a WFL 401 as a package deal. Would LOVE to find a WFL 402 haha.

abryantp

Reaction score
@Speedy Keen
Another gorgeous example! Do you recall what you paid and how long ago? I'm just wondering what fair market value is - seems to be between $1,000 $1,500 for a clean example. I am really curious if there is a certain number of them produced.

@Bijan
That 402 is making me drool - gorgeous drums

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
I had a shot at one but instead got a TB 400 to go with my TB 402. The WFL belonged to a friend. I sold it and a WFL 401 as a package deal. Would LOVE to find a WFL 402 haha.
Very nice! I have a COB TB 400 like yours but my COB 402 is a non serial number badge. The original badge was damaged when I bought it recently and a replacement badge of the same era was included. I so wanted to put a TB on it but I kept it original.

abryantp

Reaction score
Opened up this discussion because I'm looking to make some moves and potentially purchase a WFL super. Interesting thing about this one is I have never seen a WFL strainer like this one (Potentially was a prototype strainer they were messing around with?). Looks to be all original.

Attachments

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
Opened up this discussion because I'm looking to make some moves and potentially purchase a WFL super. Interesting thing about this one is I have never seen a WFL strainer like this one (Potentially was a prototype strainer they were messing around with?). Looks to be all original.
Scroll up & look at Speedy Keen's pic--maybe your strainer's throw-off handle is on backwards........marko

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I pulled out my pre-serial 5x14 COB snare inspired by this thread - why should it sit in a bag??? I had a lot of fun last night playing it....what a great drum! Can't wait to jam some more tonite......

abryantp

Reaction score
It's odd I can't find a picture of one anywhere that throws to the left hand side. The drum has been purchased - before and after pictures soon once I have some time to clean it up.