WFL Supreme 14x5.5 Snare beds are off?

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
Hello!

I bought it from Reverb and knew it's a type of drum that really has "only" one tuning spot where it sounds good.

I just received my 1957 WFL Supreme 14x5.5 snare in the mail today and upon inspecting it and taking off the heads and cleaning and such.
I noticed that the not only were the snare beds pretty wide but they don't align with the hoops on... Sooo..I'm just wondering if this is common or if I should request a refund so I'm not wasting time and looking strange trying to return it later.

I'll post pics obviously. The snares lay flat and the strings are not on the outside of the snare beds but it just looks odd. I know this is a student model but isn't this kinda a big flaw? Or is it?

Attachments

Myk

Reaction score
It looks like there is a hole beside the snare butt, could it be the butt was moved over for some reason?, it may have aligned with the beds where it was before.
Not sure why it may have been moved, better pics, is there another hole behind the butt?, and yes I would send it back if this is the case or if that hole wasn't mentioned

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
It looks like there is a hole beside the snare butt, could it be the butt was moved over for some reason?, it may have aligned with the beds where it was before.
Not sure why it may have been moved, better pics, is there another hole behind the butt?, and yes I would send it back if this is the case or if that hole wasn't mentioned

That is actually just a paint chip. I'm sorry I should have taken a better photo, it's hard to see.
I looked inside the drum and there are no extra holes. Nothing looks filled on either side of the shell.
Could it be it's just like that from the factory? The hoops obviously can't move,it just such a weird angle,strange for a company that's been making drums for so long.

Aaronjiski

Reaction score

Attachments

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yep those are a bit off. Two options. Return the drum or ask for a partial refund. If you keep it extend the beds on the short sides so they extend the same amount on each side.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I had a Slingerland that the bed was one panel off from the throw and butt!
Sent it to Pork Pie.
Bill fixed it right up.
Like Thin says you could widen the bed

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you got this for a crazy low price, I would try to return it. Beds from this era are indeed deep but they should be aligned correctly. The workmanship on WFL drums were generally very good. I have a few WFL, Trans-badge, and early 60s KB snares and the beds are all centered, albeit deep. I'm wondering if this drum started out with narrower beds and someone attempted to widen them decades ago.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig QA has been noted to vary widely.
This looks like one of those them times it varied widely.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ludwig QA has been noted to vary widely.
This looks like one of those them times it varied widely.
Exactly! It's just the way Ludwig cut them. I bet all previous owners didn't have an issue and the drum sounded just fine! I have a collection of Slingerland wood-shell snare drums, 6-lug and 8-lug, and I'm surprised by how poorly the snare beds are located. Yet, it doesn't seem to really affect the sound in any negative way!

-Mark

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
Exactly! It's just the way Ludwig cut them. I bet all previous owners didn't have an issue and the drum sounded just fine! I have a collection of Slingerland wood-shell snare drums, 6-lug and 8-lug, and I'm surprised by how poorly the snare beds are located. Yet, it doesn't seem to really affect the sound in any negative way!

-Mark
I took it in to Pro Drum to have Stan widen it a little. It’s not a huge deal it just bugged me :). Great addition to my collection, now I’m looking at a Leedy Broadway.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

-Mark
Just a few years ago they shipped a bunch of Carl Palmer snares where the throw didn't completely release.
No matter how much things change...

poco rit.

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idk if I'm too late, but id say put some new wires on and try to get a good sound out of it first before redoing the beds. Make sure hoops are in round. I have a Barrett Deems, same year same size as yours, and the beds looks exactly like that. Indeed, it took forever to fiddle with the snare wires and tuning to get the sound i wanted. I was so aggravated at one point that I screamed. But eventually I got a good sound and i love it. Its my main quarantine snare right now :)

Attachments

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I heard about that issue!

-Mark
That was me bitching to Ludwig.
They fessed up to it,but how can you knowingly ship defectivel product from the get go shows poor management at the top.