What’cha all been doing to occupy yourselves?

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Haven’t been interested in playing drums by myself. Done 2 virtual gigs. Not real satisfying. Gotten much further into ukulele. We’ve got a group meeting in a park once a week. Learning new chords every session. Riding my bike more. At the height of the lockdown, was riding 6 days a week, working 1. Really enjoying exploring via bike. My wife runs a dog rescue. Been helping hoa lot. With so many people in need, she’s been busy. Had both shots. Maybe I’ll get back to gigging sometime....
EB70DEEB-EAC8-4E85-B41F-66F3837D0754.jpeg

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wish I was doing something musical but.. bought a new house and between that and an IT conversion at work and everything else been stupid busy.

Summer ebbs here in the high desert and I ordered my son a new ATV, we're both itching to ride. So much open space around here but with the zombie apocalypse like gear stuff is somewhat on back order. Hope it gets here soon.

Fishing.. need to get licensed.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I have taken a few lessons, and have been listening to A LOT of music. I have enjoyed not gigging for a while, but I am ready to get back into it at some point. Still nothing really going on in this area as far as gigs.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve taken up guitar and bass from scratch (GAS is involved, big time) but always allocate 3 hours a day for either hiking or biking. Oh, I’m retired. Then I’m always on hand to provide video and audio production for my wife’s business. Also, getting rehearsals ready for my two bands. Very, very busy BUT I do find connecting with wifey poo to be my favorite thing to do.
Still, I still feel like it’s ground hog day at times...

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
NYC here. Bored stiff to be honest. I've never seen it like this. Things are still stupid here due to, well, you know what. The longer this crap goes on, the less likely we ever go back to normal. Drums have kept me sane, but it does get old playing by yourself.

But the weather is pretty nice now, so we'll being going out east to our new summer bungalow to get away from the state of depression still hovering over the city.

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've taken some lessons....two different drummers/two different directions

Working on my house a bit...some bike rides but its only been nice enough recently (need to ride more in the week).

Catching up on some shows on Prime/Netflix

One of my 22 year old daughters has been living with me...they/she graduate this May...I know if they can nab decent jobs/handle loans...they won't be so present in my daily life...so I'm trying to enjoy hanging with her and waiting for her sister to be back in the area (my son also graduates this May...but is staying in NOLA for an MBA and has a FT job lined up)

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Staying one step ahead of the blues .

Lots of yard work / repairs. Daily walk @ 4 kliks . ZOOM with my best friends . Always a pile of books to read - just finished Nick Lowe's bio . Daily mid day nap . Time to get my fishing gear out and inspected . Usually about an hour a day behind the kit . 1/2 hour daily thanking the good Lord for helping me make it this far . 2021 !! used see that date in science fiction movies !! Oh yeah I've taken vaccuuming and house cleaning up to an olympic level . And DFO DFO DFO DFO ... thanks for being here .

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Trying to make constructive use of my time ...

Now that the weather is nice, I'm spending hours of my time drinking beer in the back yard while watching the bird feeders and rolling my own.

Practicing my hi-hat technique on my new 16s.

Video gaming (Bought a PS3 to play old school racing games).

Watching big-time stock car racing and F1 on TV.

Planning travel -- Asheville next month, Memphis by plane in June and Switzerland in October.

Eating

Bicycling -- We have a four-mile greenway that starts a few blocks from the house. The return trip is almost entirely uphill -- only melodic death metal makes the trip a pleasure (In Flames, Amon Amarth, Gojira, etc.)

Pickleball (If you don't know what it is, ask an old person).

Oh, and I'm back in our actual offices now three days a week starting today, so add lunch from interesting local restaurants to the list.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t been playing drums since my surgery and just bought a new house and my job is essential so I haven’t missed any work .
I did set my kit up in new house Saturday, need to go talk to neighbors before I go crazy .

The wife and I did a FB live show every Saturday during lockdown, that kept us busy learning new stuff every week .

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
Had our busiest year at the deli...finished off our lease and closed up shop..spend a week moving all contents to a storage facility, and my garage...been walking every day for an hour, low carb diet, lost 15 lbs, brought down my blood pressure, planning the new shop, starting to ramp up operations to open the new location in June...bandwise, recorded a few songs, got together for rehearsals/social evenings...been gardening like crazy the last few days, painted the ceiling in the living room...you know...staying busy

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've gone to work everyday, esential worker.
Last Fall we had a couple of outdoor rehersals.
I've bought 5 kits in the last year, yikes! Sold 4 of them, actually made a few bucks overall.
4/5 of those kits were RED, I've become Red Drum Guy (RDG).
I've kept (so far) the only brand new one, yeah its red.
100_3655.JPG

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Trying to make constructive use of my time ...

Now that the weather is nice, I'm spending hours of my time drinking beer in the back yard while watching the bird feeders and rolling my own.

Practicing my hi-hat technique on my new 16s.

Video gaming (Bought a PS3 to play old school racing games).

Watching big-time stock car racing and F1 on TV.

Planning travel -- Asheville next month, Memphis by plane in June and Switzerland in October.

Eating

Bicycling -- We have a four-mile greenway that starts a few blocks from the house. The return trip is almost entirely uphill -- only melodic death metal makes the trip a pleasure (In Flames, Amon Amarth, Gojira, etc.)

Pickleball (If you don't know what it is, ask an old person).

Oh, and I'm back in our actual offices now three days a week starting today, so add lunch from interesting local restaurants to the list.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am an essential worker so working daily .
I bought an Acoustic guitar which I am teaching myself . I am also taking a bass lessons through the Fender play app .
I am enjoying playing both more than I expected to .

I did a couple remote recordings with my Big Band but did not really find it very fulfilling . I was using my e-Kit ,which I hate . Next time I will use my acoustic kit and cymbals . I bought a Sabian Soundkit to work with my Zoom Q2N just for this purpose .

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No gigs of any kind for me so I splurged and bought myself a Roland TD11 set and have been going to town on it, playing along to a lot of older records, stuff I didn’t normally play. I also had some surgery to remove scar tissue, that I’ve been putting off for years, since Desert Storm in 1991! Next up for me is some real fun, I scheduled a colonoscopy!

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Immersing myself in Cameroonese rhythms and music. Highly danceable and very slick. Found a copy of Christain Bourdon's book and it's got me deep in the shed.

The CD alone has tons of cool grooves and is worth the price of the whole package, IMHO. The book has those and more.

It keeps me off the streets.