What’s in your mic locker?

Fibes

Reaction score
I guess I should know what's going on in the mic locker too:

On the kit as we speak:

Pair Beyerdynamic M201TG - snare bottom, floor tom
3 Beyerdynamic M420N - snare batter, HH, small tom
1 Beyerdynamic M88TG - just inside kich reso pointed at beater
1 EV RE20 6 inches outside of reso. Seems to get more of what you want, less of "whole kit" with that RE20 voice. I like it better than condensers.
Pair Rode NT5 upgraded with Joly MJE-384K "Roadster" capsules. Run through a BLA 1st gen Auteur...amazing whole kit or just cymbals. I've read interviews of big names using the same exact combination for major sessions, and realized "hey I own all of that." The Auteur with these mics sounds better than preamps at 5 times the price. I don't know why, they just work beautifully together.

In locker waiting for assignment:

Rode NTK, Rode K2, both with major tube upgrades. If I ever get back to a bigger room, they will be M-S or spaced pair OH or room.
1 Sennheiser 441
Pair Shure 57's
1 AKG D1000
1 EV N/D868 great kick or Floor tom mic

Last but not least:

Pair K & K OXP6 Overhead cymbal mics. Once in a while I'll put one under the ride about 4 inches from the bell. I used to use them live all the time. Usually just one overhead, a 57 on snare, and whatever in front of the kick. I ended up with them through a Modern Drummer promotion, and if memory serves, only 50 pair were manufactured. The company (K&K) set out to design an outstanding quality pair of overhead mics, just to do it, and they certainly achieved the objective. I cannot tell you how many times just having 1 of these over the kit resulted in rave compliments. Still my go-to gig OH mic. At one point years ago, I had the company make a pair of back-up preamps for them, about once a year I test them to make sure they haven't died from non-use in storage.

Reaction score
(2) Audio-Technica ATM23HE
(6) Audio-Technica ATM25
(2) Audio-Technica ATM63HE
(2) Audio-Technica ATM450
(2) Audio-Technica AE5100
(2) Audio-Technica AE3000
Audio-Technica AT5040
Audio-Technica ATM87R
Sennheiser e901
Heil PR-48
Sennheiser e901
(3) Solomon LoFReQ Sub Mic
(2) Telefunken M82
Telefunken M81
Shure SM-57 Modded with ATI-58 Unidyne Transformer
Aston Origin
(2) Schoeps cmc641

Santino

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been through all the usual suspects. I'm on a Heil kick lately. Love the PR48 kick mic and the PR28 tom mics put the Sennheiser 602s to shame. Also lovong the PR40s on my 16-18 floor toms. I used to throw bass drum mics at those.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pair of mis-matched socks, tighty whities with a skid mark in them and a 20yr old half roll of crusty life savers.

Scottie15

Reaction score
I've been through all the usual suspects. I'm on a Heil kick lately. Love the PR48 kick mic and the PR28 tom mics put the Sennheiser 602s to shame. Also lovong the PR40s on my 16-18 floor toms. I used to throw bass drum mics at those.
Love the PR48 as well.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two SM57's and one Carvin condenser mike. I also have a Tascam digital recorder with 2 mikes built in for down and dirty (yet actually clean) field recordings.

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a full set of Shure PG mics (4 tom, 2 condensers, and a kick) plus an additional PG kick mic. The tom mics are used live while the condensers and kick mics stay at home. My non-PG mics are an SM57 for my snare and a Beta 91A for my kick, both of which are used live as well.