Since when did the 5x14 blackro market for 250
Geez I bought a couple for 50-100 range few years ago

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since when did the 5x14 blackro market for 250
Geez I bought a couple for 50-100 range few years ago
Blacro's have gone up because they're becoming more rare. (Especially the 6.5). Last production year for Blacro's was 2014. I bought a New old stock 5x14 from Ludwig less than 2 years ago and paid close to $300. It was one of the last ones left in their warehouse.
There's a Blacro for sale here on DFO right now for $150. It's a good deal:

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blackro?
Granted, I have not shopped for one in a couple years, but I honestly don’t recall ever paying over a hundred for a Supra! And I’ve bought quite a few of them over the years. I gave most all of them away as gifts for up and coming drummers.
There’s a chance I may have paid a few more for a gift “Birth Date” drum, but I don’t think I did.
They are extremely simple aluminum ... correction ... Ludalloy shells.
The old ones are more prevalent than sand on the beach.

To each his own, I guess.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
The snare market in general is nuts in my opinion,boutique drums for outrageous prices when the company has little or no public sale history.
I understand supply/demand and i understand materials go up in price but geez,give us a break!
$150-200 is all id pay for a 5" blackro.
Of course,my 6.5 stays with me and it was a pawn shop find,$140!
The 5s are great!

kallen49

Reaction score
I was offered $300 for my 6.5” Blacro in 2019 and realized I would regret selling it,
instead sold my 1973 one owner, (me), 5” supraphonic. It had the very rare silver badge with scratched-on serial number. I got $300 trading it in at my local drum shop.

The 6.5” Blacro does everything the Supra did and more. A great drum that I paid $165 for it about eight years ago. I‘ve used it on hundreds of gigs and does not seem like it will ever suffer the pitting & flaking the Supra had.

I’ve often seen posters here praise their Blacros. Especially 6.5”s. An undervalued drum?

The higher price for 5” may just reflect the comparative value they have especially when you see the high prices asked for all drums in 2021.
*I’m near Toronto so prices for new drums here are even higher, a new 5”x14” Supra is $799 CAN so about $600 US. This at Long & McQuade who have 90 odd stores across Canada.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see a used one with Imperials.
you want eyeball on it pm me.

Last edited:

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 6.5 in new condition sitting on my shelf that I never seem to play. I’ve thought about selling it. I must be getting smarter...I’m going to hold on to it regardless. In days gone by, I would have sold it and then regretted selling. I might even have bought it back at a higher price. Guess I’m learning after all these years.

Bonzoholic

Helluva Nice Guy
Reaction score

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
1mm shell. I wonder if these are seamless?
I found this on DCP's website!
Sounds like they are but I guess it depends on how you interpret the statement:
"Utilizing the same practices as it's seamless aluminum counterpart"

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right off the link above

Both snares feature a beaded, seamless shell like the Acrolite we all know and love. However, the Acro-Brass and Acro-Copper use a slightly thinner 1mm shell fitted with 10 lugs (rather than 8) per-side as well as Ludwig P86 throw-off and butt-plate.

I personally think an 8 lug model would've been the bee's knee's

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just bought a NOS blacro with Ludwig roller case, sticks, and mallets. The handle was bent so the seller insisted on $20. I had a spare handle so no big deal. These sets seem to come up for cheap in between semesters and sometimes include a xylophone. The blacro is my favorite sound of the 5x14 Acros. An artist was playing one on a NYC NYE performance. It’s hard to beat the value of a blacro even at $200. I’ve passed on the 6.5 because the 5 already sounds so good. Even those can be had for a reasonable price if one looks close enough.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're patient, you'll find a nice Blacro for $100-$150. Sold a mint one late last year with case, pad, and stand for $175 and felt lucky to get that. I'd buy another Blacro if it were nice and $125 or less.
I had an all original 1967 Acro and to me it was a better sounding snare than the "drier" blacro. When on line dealers have the Blacro's they tend to ask $200-$275 hoping to find a fish.
A lot of potential buyers won't look any further and just pay up.

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have found, bought, cleaned and then resold a lot of Blacrolites over the last few years. They always sell and it usually does not take too long.
They are getting much harder to find in my area. I think they are a much better drum than the mid and later 80's Acrolites which seemed to be
prone to having the stud of the lug (which passes thru the shell ) just break off. It seemed to me that lugs of that period were weaker or a faulty
casting. Every blacrolite I get always seems to have the muffler cranked on , as tight as possible. The shells are often dented in where the strainer
connects to the shell. It is easy to take that dent out. I really think they are great drums and I will continue to buy any that come my way for the
right price. But, I don't own any and have not kept even one for myself. Another thing I noted. The older ones had metal washers on the tension rods
and the later ones had plastic washers. The new "cheap" Ludwig snare drums for students are not worth buying used, for resale. That's for sure.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, blacro drums are getting a little less common on the yard sale sites. I missed out on one earlier today on my local FB marketplace, but you can find them occasionally for under $100. Just need to be patient.