What’s with the blackros over $200

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I sold a clean & original Blackro with factory Imperials here for $100 a few years ago and was happy to get it because I only had one inquiry about it for 2 weeks or more.

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I sold a clean & original Blackro with factory Imperials here for $100 a few years ago and was happy to get it because I only had one inquiry about it for 2 weeks or more.
It's a good starter drum for a new collector at best. I have a 10 lug Blacro with the Silver Keystone (Birch) badge that is still hanging around, but'll be the first to go

fatchoppers

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just bought a NOS blacro with Ludwig roller case, sticks, and mallets. The handle was bent so the seller insisted on $20. I had a spare handle so no big deal. These sets seem to come up for cheap in between semesters and sometimes include a xylophone. The blacro is my favorite sound of the 5x14 Acros. An artist was playing one on a NYC NYE performance. It’s hard to beat the value of a blacro even at $200. I’ve passed on the 6.5 because the 5 already sounds so good. Even those can be had for a reasonable price if one looks close enough.
Yes they sound good but they were 80 dollars all day less then 10 years ago. I let a few go at 150 I only have a 6.5 blackro left.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Didn't Acros and Blacros make their name as student drums? If they're no longer made, what has taken their place?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see someone trying to scratch out a serial number probably because it was stolen from a school at some point? Glass half empty guy
o now 'ain't that curious : ) I asked seller if he has a theory or knowledge why
(wait for response..

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
o now 'ain't that curious : ) I asked seller if he has a theory or knowledge why
(wait for response..
"I think my kids did it.not sure .bought it at a sales years ago. "
..response.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"I think my kids did it.not sure .bought it at a sales years ago. "
..response.
Because kids are worried about such things as serial numbers.......

Could have just answered "bought it years ago at a yard sale for my kids and didn't notice it for quite a while after". That would be believable.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting there are 5 for sale on Ebay in the last 6 days.
Has anyone stripped off the black finish?

Here's one to monitor for current pricing

Last edited:

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Didn't Acros and Blacros make their name as student drums? If they're no longer made, what has taken their place?
Most students don't get drums in school anymore. Mostly they seem to get a cheap bell set and practice pad or if they are lucky they get a really cheaply made snare drum with a vic firth badge like this.

The days of school kids getting good quality beginner instruments has gone by the wayside.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get the low value of the 5x14 Blacro. It's no longer made (since 2014), they made less of them than the standard 5x14 and at least to me it has the perfect Acrolite sound compared to the standard. Plus the powder coat is a plus in terms of longetivity. Seems like lots of attributes that would make them more valuable. Maybe in the future they will go up in price. I'll keep mine!

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought one for 80 bucks. Most of the ones I have had, all had the original Ludwig white coated head. Kids mainly just got the drums and did not use them so the heads were always good. This drum I just got had a Remo Ambassador on it. I had a very hard time getting that head off the drum. I measured and looked and the drum does not seem to be out of round. But all the measurements from lug to lug, seem to be close to actual 14 inch. Are these shells a bit on
the larger size? Are the original Ludwig heads a bit bigger? I bought the drum to sell, but I don't want to sell with a head fitting tight like that. Any thoughts or experience with this issue? Thanks

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just bought one for 80 bucks. Most of the ones I have had, all had the original Ludwig white coated head. Kids mainly just got the drums and did not use them so the heads were always good. This drum I just got had a Remo Ambassador on it. I had a very hard time getting that head off the drum. I measured and looked and the drum does not seem to be out of round. But all the measurements from lug to lug, seem to be close to actual 14 inch. Are these shells a bit on
the larger size? Are the original Ludwig heads a bit bigger? I bought the drum to sell, but I don't want to sell with a head fitting tight like that. Any thoughts or experience with this issue? Thanks
Great score! Weather Master heads typically fit tighter than Remo. Could be the heavy black galaxy coating that seems to have heads fit tightly on these. Despite, I’ve had good luck with WM heads on them.

drumsforme

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently going for $180ish in Miami-Ft. Lauderdale-West Palm-Orlando-Tampa.......Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace