What’s wrong with this picture (new Cheap Trick)

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw it on Facebook and said, nah…

6669F06A-DEBA-4EAB-9A84-8BD53A9EEAFB.jpeg

fun2drum

Team DFO
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
No Bun.... Epic Fail!

I think that Bun is an integral part of Cheap Trick. It's definitely not the same band without him behind the drums. It's a real shame that things turned the way they did with them. I'm sure there are probably regrets there, but no way to go back and make it the same as before.

moonbabie

Reaction score
Ha...I had to do a double take on that one,good observation!

steambent

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yammie set with Ludwig head on kick. That makes about as much sense as most things in this world. Then again they are a washed up band ever sense the Bun exit so who cares.

RogersLudwig

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are there? Two original members? At least the Grateful Dead changed their name after Jerry was gone. Lots of bands sadly continue afterthe bulk of the original members are gone. Look at Canned Heat…what a joke.

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bun has been gone for about a decade, sadly. I am of the belief that if there is no Bun, there is no Cheap Trick. It's like having 4 legs on a stool...remove one and it is no longer a stool.
...and with the great potential to leave you rather sore.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zeppelin is the only band I can think of that ceased to be when the drummer was no longer with them. Sadly the business dictates that no member is irreplaceable and fans are left to take it or leave it.

Funny that some of my favorite bands, (Crimson. Yes, Genesis) switched members frequently and it never bothered me. Seems its the more popular rock acts that generate the debate and yet Styx, Journey, Cheap Trick and more continue on without a noticable drop in their following. One could write an interesting study on this.

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are there? Two original members? At least the Grateful Dead changed their name after Jerry was gone. Lots of bands sadly continue afterthe bulk of the original members are gone. Look at Canned Heat…what a joke.

You should have seen the Heat when I subbed for Fito on 2 gigs. NO original members. Hilarious man.

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cheap trick were SO COOL back in the day. Zander is one of my all time fave rock singers.

But without Bun and with Rick's constant goofy clowning, I find them unwatchable now.

Here's a cool version of their (IMHO) best song...

Rick on Les Paul (?) and Robin on electric 12 string (?). Unfortunately the camera man forgot there was a drummer in the band....

gdaileda

Reaction score
Probably anyone with interest enough to take note of the brand of drums someone is playing would also notice that the drums are not Ludwigs. So what's the point of substituting decoy Yamahas if it's not going to get past all the drummers in the audience? Can't the backline companies just leave off a mismatched logo head?

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Bun has been gone for about a decade, sadly. I am of the belief that if there is no Bun, there is no Cheap Trick. It's like having 4 legs on a stool...remove one and it is no longer a stool.
I've worked the visual and must conclude you are indeed correct.

Remove a single leg from a stool upon which someone is sat, and sure enough. The stool is quickly made bunless.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Probably anyone with interest enough to take note of the brand of drums someone is playing would also notice that the drums are not Ludwigs. So what's the point of substituting decoy Yamahas if it's not going to get past all the drummers in the audience? Can't the backline companies just leave off a mismatched logo head?

I wonder if the bass head was put on simply for the Cheap Trick logos on it and not to try to pass off the backline kit as a Luddy.