What’s your best score?

ludwigmod72

Reaction score
OK here goes.... a bit lengthy story but the end result is unheard of but true. Two years ago my father passed away at 87. He meant everything to me and had his own big band during the 50’s in which he was also the drummer. Upon his death I decided to finally purchase a DW Collectors Kit in Broken Glass 10/12/26/22 SSC Configuration which I had always wanted. That being said, I found the exact kit on Reverb for 3719.00 from a very reputable instrument dealer in New Jersey and purchased it. Prior to the purchase I messaged them on Reverb to make sure I was getting what was described in the listing (Stock Photos) and they said yes. However, I was told that due to the automation of their warehouse/orders, they would be unable to open the boxes as the kit was coming directly from DW. Nonetheless, I went ahead and purchased the kit based off their solid reputation. About 3 days later, the boxes (From DW directly) arrive. Upon opening them, I discover a brand new DW Collectors Kit but in White Glass, Maple Standard. Needless to say the kit was gorgeous but not what I ordered. After several messages back and forth with the dealer about receiving the wrong item, they offer me the kit which initially cost me 3719.00 for YES....1000.00 !!! (I still have the Reverb messages) The irony of this story is I had a strange feeling that my dad was watching over this whole transaction because 1) The first kit he bought me as a kid was a Royce in White and 2) He was ALWAYS about getting the best deal for his kids when it came to any kind of purchase whether it be a car, household item etc and 3) Out of the many kits I’ve owned throughout the years, he always said White was his favorite color and the classiest. I find it fitting that my first kit was White and my last and final kit is White albeit “White Glass”. Thanks dad for everything I miss you everyday and “Thank you” to the instrument dealer for going above and beyond with making things right.

ludwigmod72

Reaction score
OK here goes.... a bit lengthy story but the end result is unheard of but true. Two years ago my father passed away at 87. He meant everything to me and had his own big band during the 50’s in which he was also the drummer. Upon his death I decided to finally purchase a DW Collectors Kit in Broken Glass 10/12/26/22 SSC Configuration which I had always wanted. That being said, I found the exact kit on Reverb for 3719.00 from a very reputable instrument dealer in New Jersey and purchased it. Prior to the purchase I messaged them on Reverb to make sure I was getting what was described in the listing (Stock Photos) and they said yes. However, I was told that due to the automation of their warehouse/orders, they would be unable to open the boxes as the kit was coming directly from DW. Nonetheless, I went ahead and purchased the kit based off their solid reputation. About 3 days later, the boxes (From DW directly) arrive. Upon opening them, I discover a brand new DW Collectors Kit but in White Glass, Maple Standard. Needless to say the kit was gorgeous but not what I ordered. After several messages back and forth with the dealer about receiving the wrong item, they offer me the kit which initially cost me 3719.00 for YES....1000.00 !!! (I still have the Reverb messages) The irony of this story is I had a strange feeling that my dad was watching over this whole transaction because 1) The first kit he bought me as a kid was a Royce in White and 2) He was ALWAYS about getting the best deal for his kids when it came to any kind of purchase whether it be a car, household item etc and 3) Out of the many kits I’ve owned throughout the years, he always said White was his favorite color and the classiest. I find it fitting that my first kit was White and my last and final kit is White albeit “White Glass”. Thanks dad for everything I miss you everyday and “Thank you” to the instrument dealer for going above and beyond with making things right.
Sorry Guys, I meant 10/12/16/22 NOT 26 lol!!!

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll let you know when I'm ready to sell!

I never expected to find something like this in a pawn shop. I thought that only happened to other people.
I'll let you know when we get an unexpected windfall! Grail or not, I have a jasper shell progressive jazz (and two other non Gretsch sets) already! There's gonna be a day hopefully where things are sitting just right, and the search will be on!

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Apparently mine best deal isn't anywhere near what most of you got, but here goes. I got my Gretsch Catalina Clubs for about $200. I think it was about $230 after tax, but I got them to include new heads with that price. The drums themselves looked new and I've had them 8 years and a thousand gigs now.

If you count the drums my buddy gave me, then my '69 Rogers were the best deal I've gotten. He didn't even charge me shipping.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Snagged a 1968 Ludwig Super Sensitive (badly pitted but all original) and an early 80s Acrolite for free, just as they were about to be thrown into a dumpster.

I found a Slingerland 5" brass Sound King for $30 that was really dirty but cleaned up extremely well. It had the original head on it and the warranty card as well!

I scored a Ludwig Supraphonic pointy badge in absolutely pristine condition for $75 on Facebook Marketplace. I told the guy that what he had was worth more than what he was asking. He appreciated the info but just wanted to unload it. He even brought it to me himself.

I was about a day away from pulling the trigger on a Slingerland Hollywood Ace when a good friend came to my house with a 1960s Slingerland Hollywood Ace WMP snare with a matching 20" kick drum and told me to consider them mine while I'm using them. Both instruments are in amazing condition. I'd love to find a matching mounted tom, floor tom, or marching snare to convert to make a nice little combo kit. That snare sounds incredible!

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate to get two great snares off of eBay in the early days.

Snare one was listed as “Ludwig Rockers Snare”, with 3 minutes left I looked, i imagine most people passed because the main photo showed a silver dot rockers head and no view of the drum. I looked at all the pictures......... 1967 psych red!!!!!!
$105

Snare two was listed as a “Ludwig snare that needs work”, one picture that was a scan of a Polaroid. It was black, 6.5, super, imperial lugs, and 8 lugs.......silver anniversary black enamel black beauty!!!! Needed heads
$315

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I found a Ludwig Acrolite snare for $70 in an antique mall. It came with the hard plastic case too.

I don't have a lot of drums, so this one counts as my best deal.

102_3904.JPG

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
you don't really mean that do you.
you have to be 'open' (literally 'lights on' in the building) otherwise you'd never notice them..
right?
you deserve partially or wholly the credit
Well, yeah. I don't look for that stuff at all any more, so I'm not still finding great deals.

Oh, yeah-- I was once driving past a public school and saw the band director rolling a timpani to the dumpster. I turned around and pulled into the driveway as she was bringing the second one out. I asked her if she was throwing them out and she said yes-- they'd gotten new timpani and they weren't allowed to sell the old ones. I asked if anyone would be bothered if I took them and she said no. So I scored 26" and 29" timpani in quite good shape (26 had a dent) AND a 28" marching bass and two marching snares and a set of old Ludwig marching toms for free that day. I could barely fit everything in my Subaru!

Last edited:

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Too many to list but some of my all time best were the 6.5x14 Neil Peart R30 Edge, 7x12 DW Edge, and 5x14 Jazz Series snares I got from a pawn shop for $325 combined.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In the early 80's I used to buy Ludwig kits for $100-150, clean them and sell the kit for 100-150 and the supra for 100.
If only I had kept them all...

In later years: Premier Royal Ace 4x14 wood, for free. Engraved 70's BB for $500.

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
21" Istanbul Agop Mel Lewis Ride - £35
Pork Pie 14" x 6.5" BOB - $80 - From the infamous MF Black Friday sale

Cheers
Mick

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
At a garage sale in mid Michigan I picked up a 20/12/14 Leedy set with matching 1-ply Shelly Manne snare drum for $300. All drums were in pristine condition and looked like they never left the house. Included was the bass drum pedal, hi-hat, cymbal stand and Zildjian cymbals plus a box containing sticks, brushes and a cowbell. I sold the cymbals for over $300 and later sold the set for $1,980.

Leedy1.JPG
Leedy3.JPG

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have found quite a few good deals so far in my drumming life. I figured once that I've come out about even after all the flipping. Not bad for a hobby.
My best work was at an estate sale. 24" Intermediate Stamp K for $90.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ludwig Keystone Supraphonic on a 60's Slingerland student stand - $20 , yard sale

Premier 22" x14 Resonator bass drum, factory complete - $10 yard sale

B/O Ludwig 18" single headed marching tom , Keystone 10 lug 15x12 marching snare red and gold sparkle - $ 15 KIJIJI

Double kit - 20 20 12 12 14 60's Premier(mix white, blue marine pearl) , 15 x12 BB Rogers marching snare , 20x14 ChromoWood 1st generation Ludwig 6 ply 22 x14 Chromowood too , 24x14 WFL virgin complete marching bass drum , Beverly Cosmic 21 aluminum snare , 2 14 x5.5 Premier 2000 brushed aluminum snares , 18 x 12 Premier HiFi marching bass drum, 30" AJAX beech orchestral bass drum , assorted hardware and parts, calfskins etc ..... @ $ 350 . I spent a fair bit of time restoring and making nice , used them , after a while flipped for at least five times what I paid . Everything came from the same shed belonging to a former school instrument supplier .

22 12 13 16 Ludwig 1st generation Ludwig Rockers - free .

8x14 Pearl six ply maple snare with the extended wire set up - $50

Lots more I've forgotten about .

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
THIS:

FREE!

Latest posts