What’s your best score?

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
A mid 80's transition 402 in a pile of junk drums for $50. Missing hoops and a lug or two.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I have several...

Someone passed my name to a gentleman selling a 1963 Ludwig super classic in silver sparkle. The set came with an acro from 1968, a tama brass snare and an assortment of Zidjian cymbals including a 22" K Zildjian ride! I paid $600 for it all as he just wanted it gone. I sold off the 22,13,16 for $800, sold the acro for about $175, sold the Tama for around $150 and kept the Zildjians. The K though? I used it for a few years but I ended up trading it for a 1971 Ludwig mod orange club date! The guy I traded with got the club dates at a yard sale for $300 and it came with an acro, Ludwig Paiste 20" ride and some hardware. I got a lot of mileage out of the purchase of that '63 set!

vintage-1971-mod-orange-ludwig-club_1_1413f0fbb3c505cc2025e41493ad0665.jpg

Back in the mid 90's I answered an add in my local newspaper that said Slingerland drum set, $400. I called about the set and the guy told me it was purple metal flake as he called it. Having bought some things recently and knowing how rare purple sparkle is, I passed thinking this couldn't be real. Three days passed and I decided to call back as this was bugging me. He still had them so I went to this guys house. It was an old farmhouse in the middle of nowhere and chickens were running around the yard. Visions of Texas Chainsaw Massacre filled my head but I went in anyway as the very dirty looking old man took me to the basement. Sitting on the floor in piles with broken heads and misc hardware scattered about was indeed a Slingerland purple sparkle set. They were filthy but the sizes were an incredible 22,22,12,13,14 (toms),16,18 (floors), chrome snare and hardware. A lot of pieces and parts were stored in the 18" floor tom as it looked like it was being used as a trash can. Of course I pad as quickly as I could and as I was starting to load up he said, "don't forget the cymbals". Cymbals?? All 70's Zildjian 22,ride, 20" crash, 18" crash and 14" hats. It took me over a month to restore them but I had those drums looking brand new. I sold the whole thing minus the Zildjians at one of the Chicago drum shows. I drove it out there and the sale more than paid for the set itself as well as the whole trip.

SLINGER1.jpg

There have been other cool scores but a lot of this happened in the 90's/early 2000's. I have not seen nearly as many deals as I used to. They are still out there but not like they once were.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
I forgot about the Slingy 5 ply 10 piece 10" thru !8" and 2 BDs that I bought for $150.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was the end user in this Slingerland kit about a year ago, and was still happy to get it for well below their actual value. Clean, one owner '66 Champangne Sparkle 12,14,18 with close serials. Pretty mint 1967 Supra. No modifications on anything. The cymbals are Zildjian 50's worth about $500 on their own. Had this almost a year now. And still have every piece that came with it....even the blanket that kept the snare drum and cymbals wrapped up in the trap case.

The kit was offered FREE to a local school by the original owner's widow. The school passed....after all, who wants an "old" beat drum kit anyways? A young local flea market dealer/swapper happened to spy these in the house when he was doing some odd jobs for the widow. He got them for "not much money." He tried to flip them to his local Guitar Center for $750 or so but was refused. GC's policy was they wouldn't pay for hardware....didn't even want the kit if the HW had to be included. Seller was intent on moving everything or nothing. Why didn't GC just buy this for $750?...and then put the hardware aside....not a hard decision to make. So the seller next went to CL.....where I entered the picture. I happily "paid" for the minimal hardware. The seller knew he had a somewhat desirable vintage kit - though didn't know the additional value of the 14 and 18 nor the cymbals. In fact, when I responded to the ad, I had no idea of the sizes as they weren't listed. I just assumed it was a 20" bass drum. While, I've had better % deals on lesser kits, this has the best story.

best 0aac.jpg

Last edited:

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Almost forgot about this one - Slingerland 80n Buddy Rich Kit with the optional 22” bass drum and 6 x 14 Buddy Rich TDR Snare ( second 16” floor Tom not in the picture ). 5 ply clear interior no rerings shells . Factory mahogany veneer finish .

I was with Eyedrum and Treviso at the Chicago Vintage Drum show two years ago when the first booth we passed had this kit sitting set up . I had to check it out as ai had been discussing the night before how I had been looking for an 80n Kit . The asking price was $1500 which I would have happily paid , but Treviso said “ Ask him what he would take cash “. I did and the price dropped to $1250 ! I paid the man and took them home and gigged them with a Big Abbas for awhile but the hardware was finicky and unreliable so I sold them for a really nice profit .

Attachments

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A few other deals....

1913-1920 Zildjian K Constantinople 10" splash $5.39: Thrift Store

NYC Bd of Ed 6.5x14 Acrolite with factory Imperial lugs (1 of 7 known) $300: Craigslist

1964 Ludwig Downbeat with Supraphonic, ALL ORIGINAL INCLUDING HEADS. All stands, Speed King, bags, 60's Zildjian Hats and 18 inch ride, 15" UFIP Crash. $300: Craigslist

20" A Custom China in mint condition $60: Facebook Marketplace

DW Collectors black Nickel over Brass 14"x 5" and DW heavy Duty 9000 series snare stand $250: Facebook Marketplace

1969 Ludwig Acrolite and a bunch of stands $30: Facebook Marketplace

and a few dozen more......

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rogers Blue Onyx 5 piece Dayton Top Hat set with wood Dynasonic. $500 Wrap and chrome in great condition.

mebeatee

Reaction score
About 25 yrs ago I bought a '63 set of Gretsch 13/16/20 in blue satin flame that had a '63 5 1/2" Camco snare in blue sparkle, for $275.
Before moving from the city I sold them to a friends boyfriend who played in a surf band....perfect kit for that combo. Kept the snare and still have it.
About 10 yrs ago the owner of the local music store who collects drums called me up and of course I rushed down and scooped a '65 set of Sonor's in white satin flame......13/16/20 with matching 4x14 snare, plus hardware for $400. Still have that kit.
What goes around comes around???

I had a small sized Dynamic kit.....8,10,12,18 w/ 4x12" snare given to me....use it as a teaching kit for smaller folks.
The snare however I rebuilt with proper strainer et al and it sounds incredible!! I've taken it to Eastern Europe, the Baltics, and Russia 3 times on tour, and it will generally accompany me on any travel by plane touring...(I used to do)...so it's paid for itself many times over....lol.
bt

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
About 25 yrs ago I bought a '63 set of Gretsch 13/16/20 in blue satin flame that had a '63 5 1/2" Camco snare in blue sparkle, for $275.
Before moving from the city I sold them to a friends boyfriend who played in a surf band....perfect kit for that combo. Kept the snare and still have it.
About 10 yrs ago the owner of the local music store who collects drums called me up and of course I rushed down and scooped a '65 set of Sonor's in white satin flame......13/16/20 with matching 4x14 snare, plus hardware for $400. Still have that kit.
What goes around comes around???

I had a small sized Dynamic kit.....8,10,12,18 w/ 4x12" snare given to me....use it as a teaching kit for smaller folks.
The snare however I rebuilt with proper strainer et al and it sounds incredible!! I've taken it to Eastern Europe, the Baltics, and Russia 3 times on tour, and it will generally accompany me on any travel by plane touring...(I used to do)...so it's paid for itself many times over....lol.
bt
You have exotic gig destinations, sir. May I ask who you play with?

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This was a small scale score for me about 6 years ago. I found an early '80s Acro for $20 that needed reheading and new snares. After a quick cleaning, I flipped it for $180.

Screenshot_2014-11-08-08-38-41.png

CIMG1562 1.JPG

Last edited:

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yamaha 90´s Recording Custom 8"10"12"13"15"20" in Cobalt Blue for $900. Dirty as hell but after cleaning it up I posted a pic the next day on facebook without intending to sell it. Got a phone call a few minutes later and was offered $2400 for it. SOLD within 24 hrs from purchase.

89507973-0DCD-44C8-B4BA-A0DE38996F60.jpeg

4CA256AD-ECB9-4931-AD75-34E563FFB9E8.jpeg

Last edited:

singleflammedmill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
C$1000 (US$730) for a Yamaha Recording Custom 18X14, 10X7.5, 12X8, 14X14.
C$120 for a Roland SPD-S that I sold CA$350 the next day.
C$280 for a Mapex Saturn 24X20, 12X9, 16X16
C$160 for a Mapex Saturn 22X18, 10X8, 12X9, 14X14 (I bought the complete kit for CA$800 and sold the hardware and cymbals C$640).

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
14'' paiste sound edge hi-hat cymbals $3.00 bucks
i bought a rogers 380 set for $60.00 it came with a pre serial 5x14 cob supra
70's rogers set in gloss black 20 12-13-16 5x14 dyno snare for $300.00 sold the snare a couple years later for $450 .

drums1225

Reaction score
I've been fortunate/benevolent enough to find quite a few great deals throughout the years.

A few highlights:
  • Tama Starclassic Maple, 20x18, 12x8, 14x12, 16x13 with hardware - $730 on Ebay (Sold it more than 10 years later, without hardware, for $1300)
  • 20" Spizzichino Ride Brand new, straight from Luciano in Italy - $310 on eBay - Now worth close to $2K (considering selling it).
  • 14 x 6.5 Dunnett Titanium 1 month old $425 (back in 2004, from a friend)
  • 14 x 6.5 Ludwig Supraphonic $50 (Happened to be standing there as a teenager sold it to the store where I was teaching for $50)
  • 14 x 5 Ludwig Acrolite b/o badge: Basically FREE, as it was included with a Pearl Export kit that I bought and flipped.
  • 22" 1950's A Zildjian Ride and 14" A Zildjian Hi Hats ("Selected" stamp) FREE - Belonged to my best friend (inherited from his grandfather who led a big band in the 60s and early 70s) who didn't play drums; when his mom was selling the house and cleaning out the basement, she offered them to me. I told her I couldn't accept them, as she could easily sell them for several hundred dollars. She said, "If you don't take them, I'm throwing them in the garbage". Well, since you put it that way...

I still have and play all these instruments (some more than others), except for the Starclassic Maple shell kit.

wraub

Reaction score
As a starting drummer with some cheap cymbals, I wanted a decent crash, hats, and ride. Made a random normal stop at my usual pawn shop, and spied a stack of cymbals, including hats, crash and ride, wrapped and unpriced.

I really just wanted the ride, I figured I could haggle for it but the lot was likely beyond me.
Went to "my guy" at the counter, but he was busy. I pointed at the cymbals, and he smiled and said. "Today is your lucky day. Those were found during an inventory, they've been here a while with no info."

Then, he turned to another clerk and sain, "Take care of him on these... he should leave with them", and then he smiled at me and walked away. :D

Not the best cymbals in the world, but I got a set of ZHTs- hats with clutch, 2 crashes and ride, along with a set of ZBT hats, and an Agazarian crash for $47.

As a novice drummer. these were very useful for me to learn with and served me well, also, to learn what good cymbals sounded like. ;)

That said, I just picked up a set of Zildjian Quick Beats for $80.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yamaha 90´s Recording Custom 8"10"12"13"15"20" in Cobalt Blue for $900. Dirty as hell but after cleaning it up I posted a pic the next day on facebook without intending to sell it. Got a phone call a few minutes later and was offered $2400 for it. SOLD within 24 hrs from purchase.

View attachment 444236

View attachment 444237
Was it Weckl who called for the sale?

I am not a Yamaha fan, but those look great. Nice work!

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Was it Weckl who called for the sale?

I am not a Yamaha fan, but those look great. Nice work!
The original owner was a Weckl nut and had special ordered the kit in Weckl specs. I came across the sale ad on a website that sells anything from baby stuff to cars. The ad had been sitting there for months. The only pic showed the kit stacked up in a filthy, defunkt bathroom (no joke), covered with dust. It looked horrible. But, after an evening cleaning with warm water and a soft rag the kit looked amazing. The front logo head that I thought I had to throw away was like new after a good cleaning.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great thread! I have 3 that qualify I believe.
1. 1960's Zildjian 15" factory matched hats mid 800 grams on both for 69.00 at Sam Ash.
2. A 2008 DW Collectors kit in blue glass glitter 22/12/16 NEW in 2010 for $1300 dollars from Best Buy in NJ when they sold instruments.
3. From FB marketplace an 80's Tama Superstar kit in Super Mahogany damn close to MINT kit was 425.00 included 22/12/13/16 plus a B/O badge Supra 14x5, and hardware and cymbals even the brown covered Tama throne to be absolutely honest I offered this man more than he was asking as it was obvious he didn't really understand what he had. I even offered to take just the Tama drums at 425 and help him write the ads for the other gear... He declined and shook my hand said he was now sure his drums were going to a good home. Anyhow,
Supra and cymbals were sold / traded locally for approx 600 dollars. Standard 80's Zildjian set up 20" medium ride 16 thin and 18" medium thin crashes Paiste 505 hats both med heavy bottoms for some reason. Supra was flawless! I kept the Tama kit and all that gorgeous Titan Hardware ( heavy as hell ) only flaw on the Tamas is somebody played the reso head as a batter so there's scuff marks on the chrome reso head.

Latest posts