What’s your favorite 20” crash?

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting question... I still dont know that all that many folks use 20" crashes. I have 5 cymbal rigs by brand, and each has a 20" crash (or a crash / ride) in it so it's a daily part of my playing experience. For me, large thin (thats the key right there) crashes are like power steering in your car, you just take a nice ease swipe and you are rewarded with a soft, full lovely crash. Of course if you want to power play them they offer all that extra volume and projection as well, but I prefer thinner (there's that word again!), quieter 20"s. My favorite right now is a Sabian 20” HH Vanguard Thin Crash (1570 grams). Just a warm and gentle crash and you would never dream it was 20"!

Last edited:

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Istanbul Agop Dark Crash. It works for rock/pop/country. It's not something I would ride on, but it could work in a jazz setting as well.

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
This dirty blonde right here, an old A that works well as a light, light ride, but a wonderful K-ish crash. A lovely explosion of flavor like popping a whole cherry tomato in your mouth, sweet with a little tangy aftertaste.
The sage Zenstat had opined in an earlier thread that it is most probably from the 1960s and possibly from the early 60’s. Just like me.
F91BA1AF-BF78-4676-BDD0-8BB6B3B8A637.jpeg
FDE26D66-2108-4E7A-8C38-2E52BABF5D5B.jpeg

CrashBoomPang

Reaction score
I just got an old Zanki Vibra 20" crash. It's like nothing I've played before. Really long and bright. Lots of odd overtones. As for what cymbals it works well with, first impression is none. It very much stands out in a mix (cymbals or band), which I'm thinking is a good thing.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This dirty blonde right here, an old A that works well as a light, light ride, but a wonderful K-ish crash. A lovely explosion of flavor like popping a whole cherry tomato in your mouth, sweet with a little tangy aftertaste.
The sage Zenstat had opined in an earlier thread that it is most probably from the 1960s and possibly from the early 60’s. Just like me. View attachment 418703 View attachment 418704
Wow. That thing is just sweet.
Any way to hear it?

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have two current favorites that are always on the kit. These cover the brighter/darker spectrum pretty well for me.

-20" Paiste 602 ME
-20" Paiste Masters Dark

Latest posts