What’s your favorite cymbal brand and why?

Row

Reaction score
Paiste probably, but only because 602 and Signature/Traditionals are my favourite sounds. Don't really like the rest of their lines.

drummerfriend

Reaction score
For decades it was Zildjian.. About 10 years ago ventured out to Bosphorus. Agop and a few Meinl.. Found home with Paiste.

Paiste - for my ears has the perfect blend / balance of sound for my ears. The alloy has a nice feel to it as well to play for stick response.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
As my 5 year old grandson says as he spreads his arms wide with glee in his eyes when asked what is his favorite anything... "ALL OF THEM!"

My signature says it all for me... Every cymbal company makes great cymbals, but not all cymbals are great!

TPC

Reaction score
On any given day, I have a favorite.

Today? Bettis.

Yesterday? Old A’s. (Really thin ones) :)

Last week? Nolan!

Last month? Paiste Masters (Medium Ride, BlueBird). Sh*t, those things are dark. More ancient and Turkish than the ancient and Turkish.

But to pick ONE favorite ... definitively?

Probably not.

Man, I love those Sabians on the Guiliana live videos. They sound perfect.

Or Old K’s

Or Chinese cymbals.

Short answer? No.

gchisatchmo

Reaction score
It’s a toss up between Zildjian and Istanbul Mehmet for me. Zildjian has always been my favorite because of Buddy Rich and Ringo Star, the sound is unmistakable. At a Connecticut show though, I was introduced to Mehmet. The Nostalgia crash John Sheridan had sounded awesome. Never heard a crash as sweet as that was. Ever since then I’ve been interested in Mehmet and boy are they a work of art.

So then, what’s your favorite cymbal brand and why?

gchisatchmo

Reaction score
It’s a toss up between Zildjian and Istanbul Mehmet for me. Zildjian has always been my favorite because of Buddy Rich and Ringo Star, the sound is unmistakable. At a Connecticut show though, I was introduced to Mehmet. The Nostalgia crash John Sheridan had sounded awesome. Never heard a crash as sweet as that was. Ever since then I’ve been interested in Mehmet and boy are they a work of art.

So then, what’s your favorite cymbal brand and why?

gchisatchmo

Reaction score
Personally craftsman cymbals have a mojo that mass produced cymbals will never have. Play a Laurentsen a Collingwood or Nicky Moon. You may sell all the others.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back before color I was a Zildjian guy but I think mostly because that was all that was readily available back then. Then I like the look and feel of Paiste so I went all 2002 series. Then I went to Sabian about 10 years ago. I've been loyal to the Paragon line for ride and hats for the better part of 10 years. Then I started mixing and matching.

Currently, I still have my Paragons. Just recently picked up a nice used kit and went ballistic on new cymbals. Picked up a set of Sabian HHX Complex series.

I AM IN LOVE. They are warm yet crisp. So there's that. Guess I've gone full Sabian.

jmato

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paistes for me. I just like their sound the best. I taught myself to play the kit by playing along to Bonham and Van Halen, who coincidentally both played Paiste (not intentional on my part), so that is the sound I hear in my head and want on my kit.

I have a complete set of Giant Beats, 602s, and Sound Formulas, with some stray Sigs, SC, etc.

My China is a Sabian Chad Smith, however. It's the best I have played (although I have not played many after picking this one up).

Such great diversity of opinions here.

gronstadt

Reaction score
I’ve gone through quite a few brands and was never really happy until I stumbled across Zildjian’s newer Sweet line. I went through about five rides and couldn’t be happier with the 21” sweet ride. The 15” sweet hats are perfect for any kind of music I want to play. The crashes have a very unique sound to me and I love them. I know they’re pricey- I got my set piecemeal from Reverb and eBay and saved a ton of cash. I agree the Mehmet cymbals are cool and I’ve tried some Dream cymbals (the price point is great but the consistency is questionable to me). Zildjian Sweet- those are for me, work for all genres, record great and sound awesome live.

Attachments

actionjcl

Reaction score
Personally craftsman cymbals have a mojo that mass produced cymbals will never have. Play a Laurentsen a Collingwood or Nicky Moon. You may sell all the others.
There will always be that niche market and of course cymbals (and for that matter, any percussion instrument) built by expertises craftsmen that are usually custom built will always be better, but without mass production, many would be left out.

CigarScott

Reaction score
For me, Paiste. The first decent cymbals that I could afford were Paiste Alphas. As a high schooler, going to those from Sabian B8's was night and day. The first "pro" level cymbal I could afford are my Signature 13" dark crisp hats (which I still had) that I was able to get at a silly good price. Now I'm a Paiste homer. The Signatures just do it for me. I have a couple 2002 effects cymbals but Signature, to me, is the ultimate cymbal line.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sabian for me, though I haven't been fortunate enough to sample all the major players (but quite a few). For me early on, it was the ability to buy brand new Sabian's at an affordable price compared to Paiste or even Zildjian. I sort of stuck to them out of habit and have liked the diversity of the product lines and now I have a little bit of everything from them - from bright and light to dark and dry. Not saying any other brands couldn't cover the same spectrum obviously, it's just I haven't had a reason to switch.

That being said - the only hihats I've ever played have been Zildjian New Beats. Still haven't found a reason to switch.