header.nohb.html

What’s your favorite Nefertiti Clone?

james_c_marks

Reaction score
Which Nefertiti Clone ride do you think sounds best?

There are several examples on YouTube

Will you post a link to your favorite?

9EC79A3B-7D2F-45A5-B104-EAED40FF87DF.jpeg

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
To mimic the ride sound of the actual "Nefertiti" track of Miles Davis with Tony Williams?

I'd say trashier Agops are your best bet. It's not that one model always has that sound, but various models can get close. Boutique makers might offer even more complex sound, but they're hard to find. I would use a high-pitched stick (the wood tone) to get that "high, dark" ride sound.

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a cymbal commissioned through Timothy Roberts (who also runs Reverie Drums and Stack Ring Percussion) with the goal being a cymbal that plays like Nefertiti, without trying to be exact. Basically I wanted a heavier weight cymbal (~2600g) with a clear stick sound, dragons breath wash, lots of shanking possibilities, and a big trashy crash.

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is no clone of that cymbal, even the ones that claim to be clones. If a manufacturer was able to mass produce that sound, we'd all know about it, and people wouldn't be eternally hunting for it.

There are lots of individual cymbals that can get a little bit of that vibe, played the right way, under the right set of circumstances. I had a 22" Bosphorus Turk that sounded like that, from the playing position, anyway-- my 22" Cymbal & Gong Holy Grail sounds like it sometimes, other HGs sound like a different take on it. I also have a 20" Agop Turk that's sort of like it. None of them are anything like the original cymbal (or each other) in weight or design.

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Funch nefertiti ride which has a thing I really like but to me my Agop sounds nearly identical to the recorded album sound. I think if Agop was readily available in 1960 Tony would have used them.

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Clearly I am not in the know then. So what is the "original weight and design?

I don't know any specifics. There are pictures of it around. I think somebody said the weight was ~2600 grams. Completely different from the other cymbals I mentioned-- Turks, and Holy Grails with a 50s A-type bell, all about 300-500 grams lighter than that.

Of course that Mehmet is supposed to be an exact copy, except none I've heard sound like it.

zenstat

Reaction score
Clearly I am not in the know then. So what is the "original weight and design?

Since you asked nicely, the original is an Intermediate Stamp K Zildjian Istanbul, and Paul Francis weighted it and said "just under 6 lbs" and I make that 2720g and have stored it as 2700g in roundish sort of number for "just under". Here is Paul with Wallace Roney and Vince Wilburn (Tony's nephew) with the cymbal.

22-2720-nefertiti.jpeg

22-2720-top.jpeg

22-2720-stamp.png

The trademark image isn't that clear but if you know what to look for it is an Intermediate Stamp. The stamp is half way out from bell to bow which fits Intermediate Stamp positioning, and Nefertiti was recorded in June and July 1967 which also fits. Of course, if you know what lathing style and bell style to look for, those attributes are consistent with the Intermediate Stamp era.

The weight comes from an interview Timothy Roberts did with Paul and he mentions it at 2 hrs 18 minutes in. That is followed by a great Louie Bellson story when he was playing a ... but I won't spoil your listening. :cool:

Last edited:

zenstat

Reaction score
Oh yeah, and based on the weights I've got for the first Mehmet Tony Clone the 22" is a bit under 2300g so a weight class lighter than the original. Around 2019 (haven't pinned down the year exactly) Mehmet came out with a heavier Tony clone which is the same weight class as the Nefertiti. It is called a Jazz-Rock Ride and here it is thanks to Gerry

curly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Since you asked nicely, the original is an Intermediate Stamp K Zildjian Istanbul, and Paul Francis weighted it and said "just under 6 lbs" and I make that 2720g and have stored it as 2700g in roundish sort of numbers for "just under". Here is Paul with Wallace Roney and Vince Wilburn (Tony's nephew) with the cymbal.

View attachment 594294

View attachment 594295

View attachment 594296

The trademark image isn't that clear but if you know what to look for it is an Intermediate Stamp. The stamp is half way out from bell to bow which fits Intermediate Stamp positioning, and Nefertiti was recorded in June and July 1967 which also fits. Of course, if you know what lathing style and bell style to look for, those attributes are consistent with the Intermediate Stamp era.

The weight comes from an interview Timothy Roberts did with Paul and he mentions it at 2 hrs 18 minutes in. That is followed by a great Louie Bellson story when he was playing a ... but I won't spoil your listening. :cool:

Thanks Zen!

Wish we could see that cymbals profile. Looks like there might be a pronounced downwards flange distal to the rivet holes.

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wonder if a lighter 22 K dark medium played with light sticks or boleros would sound close.

zenstat

Reaction score
Thanks Zen!

Wish we could see that cymbals profile. Looks like there might be a pronounced downwards flange distal to the rivet holes.

Yes it does look like that to me as well. I that is part of the lore. I haven't had hands on one of the Mehmet clones but if it was more faithful on profile than weight ;-) it might show the downwards flange. Anybody have the set who can look for us? I may have saved multiple sets of photos for the sets for sale, but I'm not sure. I can't save everything because there is too much everything. :)

jashoup

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Although not trying to be Nefertiti clones per se, certain examples of the K Con Bounce have that kind of tone to me...maybe even moreso than some actual clones.

Ding ding ding

I have two 22 Bounce rides, one from 2013 and the other from 2022, and they're both very "Nefertiti-istic." Then again I've played other Bounce rides that were quite different.