What’s your favorite part of a drum set?

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know, during this Covid thing we all get extra creative with our threads or maybe this has been covered before.

So, what is your one and only favorite part of a drum set? It can be anything that makes up your set (drums, cymbals, hardware, even a drum key). Get specific!

I am undecided between the hihat and the ride cymbal...14” floor tom is also winking at me!...I will also comment when I’m ready to announce the one and only.

Just tell me 1 piece!...and if you want, the reason!

Last edited:

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You know what I really love? A great floor tom (with legs). I love the resonance of a well-tuned floor tom. Usually, when I sit at a kit I've never played before (like a rental or house kit), the first I check is the floor tom. If it sounds good, I'm going to have a good night.

Floor toms usually have really nice visual characteristics. There's lots of wood, you can see the whole thing (unlike a BD), there's just a drum, no mounting hardware. In my eyes, it's the purest drum on the kit.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, I had to think about that one. I think for me it's a tie between the bass drum and snare drum. I consider both of them together to be the most basic form of the drum set, the way I define it in my own mind. Together they provide beautiful contrast - two parts that compliment each other for a combined sound that is greater than what the sum of those two parts should be able to provide. They're the beat that I can feel inside, that beat which first drew me into drums as I listened to rock at night on the radio as a kid. Those two components can also be enhanced visually with different finishes, and in the case of the bass drum, given a unique identity through art on the front head. I could show up with only a bass drum and snare drum, and with a bit of creativity, play with confidence and a full sound on just about any song.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I was first fascinated with the drums as a kid, it was clearly the snare that interested me the most. That noise aspect, how it was created with the wires underneath that vibrated even though they were not hit, even the fact there was something like the throw-off. When I finally got to play the drums, I think the hi-hat became my favorite, so many sounds to discover. Snare became the thing you had to practise :)

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, I had to think about that one. I think for me it's a tie between the bass drum and snare drum. I consider both of them together to be the most basic form of the drum set, the way I define it in my own mind. Together they provide beautiful contrast - two parts that compliment each other for a combined sound that is greater than what the sum of those two parts should be able to provide. They're the beat that I can feel inside, that beat which first drew me into drums as I listened to rock at night on the radio as a kid. Those two components can also be enhanced visually with different finishes, and in the case of the bass drum, given a unique identity through art on the front head. I could show up with only a bass drum and snare drum, and with a bit of creativity, play with confidence and a full sound on just about any song.
Couldn't have said it better! Well said sir! The Bass drum is what I build the kit around. If I think of it all of my kits have been purchased or assembled for the sound of the bass drum/drums. I've played kits where everything sounds good but the bass drum is lacking and that makes it a hard pass for me. To my ear the bass drum sticks out as the most personal part of a sound which is probably why it drives me crazy that many producers and sound engineers try to homogenize the sound so much.

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Snare drum would be my favorite. My toms and kick sounds typically don't change once I have them dialed in where I want them but I like changing out my snares for different sounds, feels, dynamics, tones, etc. Keeping the everything the same but changing out the snare can be enough for me to subconsciously change how I am playing or feeling behind the kit.