What’s your favorite stick?

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Old Johnny Rabb sticks for me. I stocked up back when the company closed up shop, and then augmented things when I found a bunch of NOS about a year and a half ago.

7A (ball, acorn or mushroom tip) for jazz
5A or the Keltner "JK Traditional" model (basically a 5B ) for general business.

I've also got seven or eight pair of the "SLIM" model (not pictured), similar to a 7A. Close to, but not quite exactly the same as, Rabb's vaunted Keltner "JK SLIM" model.

Rabb made my favorite brushes as well.

rabb_implements_201.jpg

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
While reading an archived interview in Modern Drummer of Sandy Nelson, I learned what I believe was the secret of his tight yet meaty sound. He said that he loved playing with the Promark Oak sticks. I bought a pair and never looked back. I think what I have are the 727, nylon tips.

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
5B-2B and in between.
Vic Firth Rod Morgenstiens, Harvey Mason model, real dark wood with a real small round tip, not sure that model is made anymore...
[snip]
Anyone remember the Duraline brand? Sticks were white kevlar or fiberglass? The had heads as well same materials. I managed to break both as a teen.
They sure do! But, I remember back in the 1990s when the finish was beautiful, like a translucent walnut. The same with the Weckls and the DeJohnettes, Buddy Rich, and so on—just a beautiful crimson and bone white finish that really showed the grain and inspired me to play well. A little after they started leaving the tips blank is about when it all changed to the garish paint-like lacquer; maybe 2000. I miss it!

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In fact, here we go:
Screenshot_20200222-173111~2.png

Actually, I'd probably say that the vintage DW stick would be my favorite, aside from the tiny sticks I have for light cymbal playing, and orchestral types for snare and fooling on the pad.

Reaction score
Right now, my stick choices are this.

Rock= Vic Firth Steve Smith sigs or 5B
Jazz= Vic Firth SD4 with a shaved down tip
Pad= Vic Firth 5B or SD2 Bolero

All wood tip.

Throughout my life I have gone through many sizes. At the time I thought each one was IT! Harvey Mason sigs. Steve Gadd sigs. 5A Maple. 8D. 8D Maple. SD4 Hickory. 5B Maple. SD2 (for the set.)

There have been other sizes that I can't remember. But always Vic Firth!

On my next VF order I might try out each of the four "new" jazz sizes that they introduced a few years back.

Who knows....
MSG

Browny

Reaction score
VF 5B wood.

Comfortable, good sound on drums and cymbals, does everything I need it to, and I’m yet to find a drum/music store that doesn’t have some on the shelf.

bonzo60

Reaction score
Regal Tip 5A since the late 80's. Recently Regal Tip 5AX, a bit longer and thinner but nicely balanced.
On a whim recently, I bought some Vater Sessions and they felt great, nicely balanced but the tips chipped after 2 wks. of just general playing/practicing.
My lds has some Ludwig 5A's that felt nice, olive tip, 16" might give 'em a try.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I play 3 different models depending on the situation...

Light and low volume = Regal Tip Combos
General work horse model = Regal Tip JAZZ (both nylon & wood)
High volume = Vic Firth Quest Love

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Vic Firth 5A Wood Tip Double Glaze.

Vic personally gave me a pair of the first 5As when he introduced them in 1981 and to this day, there’s nothing better for me (though I did use Zildjian sticks in the 90s/2000s for obvious reasons). I was using Steve’s (Gadd) sticks for a bit, but came back to 5As.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
In fact, here we go:
View attachment 428588
Actually, I'd probably say that the vintage DW stick would be my favorite, aside from the tiny sticks I have for light cymbal playing, and orchestral types for snare and fooling on the pad.
When I heard about the Dave Weckl sticks, the "signature stick" was something I'd never heard of before. Thinking it may be a fad, I bought two (pairs).
Used one and learned how fragile Maple sticks are.
The other pair, I kept for posterity. I still have them in their original sleeve.
Looks just like those seen in the ad Joe A posted.

...as for my personal preferences, I currently like using Promark Select Hickory Rebound Balance .565's and Vater Matrix sticks.
The Promarks seem to make any cymbal they touch sound just a little better, but sometimes they're too much for the cymbal I'm using. During those times, I use the Vater's.…….and sometimes I just use the Vater's. :evil4:

Elvis

Last edited:

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I heard about the Dave Weckl sticks, the "signature stick" was something I'd never heard of before. Thinking it may be a fad, I bought two (pairs).
Used one and learned how fragile Maple sticks are.
The other pair, I kept for posterity. I still have them in their original sleeve.
Looks just like those seen in the ad Joe A posted.

Elvis
I located a gently used pair in a local Facebook group of mine, too. Excited to see them again!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Joe,

What years did VF do the original red Dave Weckl sticks?
I'm thinking I've had mine for about 25 years now.

DSCN2505.JPG

Elvis

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pro Mark Shira Kashi 5a. The hickory kept cracking on me, and I rarely crack sticks. No idea.

For rehearsals in close quarters, tiny venues: Vic Firth Steve Gadds, but wish they had not changed the paint. (Why did they change the paint?)

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
In answer to the thread title I was gonna say Thai Stick but then you said drumsticks in your first post so Vic Firth Questlove clear finish.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Promark 747's. Used 'em since 1974.

These were one of my favorites starting out in the 80s. I was away from drumming for about 15 years. After coming back and getting to know things again, I've found that Vater 2b hickorys are EXCELLENT. I tried Pro Mark balanced 5bs, some cheapy Stagg sticks 2b. . .definitely like the Vaters.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Promark mostly:
PW7AW Shira Hashi Oak; what ever that means. LOL For lite duty low volume venues.
PW727W Shira Hashi Oak, for my normal playing gigs
Ed Shanshnesy 707, ball tip; occasional higher volume needs, also good for a long smooth drum roll

I wanted to try something different and purchased a Zildjian Heavy 5A Laminated Birch. I wanted something with more mass in weight but thin. They are thinner than most 5A's I believe but too heavy for me and it's hard to find a good balance with them. I'll do more experimenting.

sherm

Latest posts