What “Do it all” sizes to go with? Vote!

Which sizes would you pick for a “do it all” setup?

• 20x14/14x14/12x8

Votes: 64 55.7%
  • 20x14/15x14/12x8

Votes: 29 25.2%
  • 22x14/14x14/12x8

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • 22x14/15x14/12x8

Votes: 14 12.2%

• Total voters

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking to iron out the sizes of Ludwig CMs I want to order in near future. Debating on different configurations but my heart is set at 1 config.
Drums will be Ludwig classic maples with single 45deg edges, there is the option of double and rounded but I think it is extra $100 per drum to change from standard single 45.

This will be my “do it all” one and only 4-piece drum set (Jazz, fusion, blues, rock, no extra loud and heavy music) so needs to cover a lot of grounds and be portable. I will pair it with a 14”x5” classic maple matching snare or a 14”x5” Supra, or both depending on budget.

Last edited:

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd go with a 22, my foot is one of my strengths but that's me, I just like the deeper sound.

14 and 12 after that, easier to get heads for them an I kinda like that setup too actually.

I guess it depends on what you're playing.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking to iron out the sizes of Ludwig CMs I want to order in near future. Debating on different configurations but my heart is set at 1 config.
Drums will be Ludwig classic maples with single 45deg edges, there is the option of double and rounded but I think it is extra $100 per drum to change from standard single 45.

This will be my “do it all” one and only 4-piece drum set (Jazz, fusion, blues, rock, no extra loud and heavy music). I will pair it with a 14”x5” classic maple matching snare or a 14”x5” Supra, or both depending on budget.
Morello sizes: 14x22, 16x16, 9x13.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have had a 20/12/14 kit. I have had a 20/13/14/16 kit. I have had a 22/14/16/16 kit. I have had a 22/22/14/15/18/20 kit. I have had a 22/22/14/16/18/20 kit. For the last 7 years my kit has been 22/22/15/16/18/20 kit. ALL of my kits did it all. Its how you play them that matters. BIG toms are better because they have a very wide tuning range. A foto of my "do it all" kit. I have been playing since 1970.

tama overhead foto 2.jpg

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is so personal of a decision. I really don't think you'll get much from polling the DFO. I get that it's fun to talk it out and get opinions, but i say take your time. lull yourself to sleep at night considering the options, and eventually the choice will be obvious. Figuring this stuff out is at least half the fun.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
project into the future and envision your
1) stage space
2) gigs/ type of gigs
3) mode of transporting the drums
4) how much you want to load out/load in
5) footprint you want to occupy at home/practice

20/12/16
yellow lacquer (or other) USA Gretsch

alternate "I'm gonna be a star" "I'm gonna dream I'm a star"
"I'm going to be a dreamer forever" "MTV will return" "MTV never left"
"I dream I was in Deep Purple once" "Ozzy's Gonna Call" and
"It's my rock and Roll fantasy"
22/22/12/13/14/15/16/18/19/21/22/8/9/10/goes to 11/

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
20/14/12.
I play the genres you listed except jazz, and we all know that configuration works for jazz. I have these Downbeat sizes in Classic Maples and it is my do everything, forever kit. I don’t have space or disposable income for extra kits, so I had to get one that covers the musical map.
A few factors for me:

—Size and portability: Not too big and not too heavy.

—Headroom: those sizes work well with the 45 degree edges and can project. The 20 bass mic’d can woof like a warg. One singer told me she never wears a dress on stage because “ your bass drum will make it lift up in back.” But they can also work well at lower volumes. I feel larger drums don’t do that as well.

—Practicality: Most of my stages are small and smallish. The Downbeat is in proportion to this reality. And there is more to proportionality than just footprint. A 14 tom is a spare snare head in an emergency. (I had this happen at a gig where I broke my snare head,didn’t have a spare, and used the floor tom’s head.)

Tonality: The pitch variations around this kit pleasantly work together in a gracious manner and they are a family of sounds familiar to the North American listener’s wars.

Nothing outrageous in any of the sizes you’ve listed, and I think you narrowed things wisely.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have seen and heard all kinds of combinations the past 51 years of playing. I have been playing for 51 years. I started at age 12 and am 63 now. ALL drum sizes can work for ALL types of music. There are NO rules , there are no certain sizes. I have every size tom made > 6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16,18,20. I have owned 20,22,24 bass drums. It doesnt matter. I post this so some new person to drums gets the facts right about sizes. What about wood types , bearing edge types , head types > There are NO rules. Use the wood you like , the bearing edge you like , the heads you like.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
Correct there are no rules. There are only rulers.

"wait. the band sets up over there??"
It's 4 by 2..
"can you run a monitor out to the parking lot?"
We never played on a tiny stage and never would. We never used monitors in clubs. why do you need monitors in a club? anytime we were gonna get booked in a tiny stage club the pay was always crap. If and extra inch or 2 is gonna cause stuff not to fit on the stage WHY the hell would you play a crap place like that ? We didnt and never will play for crap pay. If your band is good you can get the good gigs with nice size stage. If your band is crap then all will get is crap gigs that no good band wants. A guy that builds a club with a midget stage doesnt deserve to have a band play. He can hire a DJ for cheap.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
We never played on a tiny stage and never would. We never used monitors in clubs. why do you need monitors in a club? anytime we were gonna get booked in a tiny stage club the pay was always crap. If and extra inch or 2 is gonna cause stuff not to fit on the stage WHY the hell would you play a crap place like that ? We didnt and never will play for crap pay. If your band is good you can get the good gigs with nice size stage. If your band is crap then all will get is crap gigs that no good band wants. A guy that builds a club with a midget stage doesnt deserve to have a band play. He can hire a DJ for cheap.
When was the last gig you played.
And the monitor went out to the parking lot (in the post #16 joke I told).
My highest paying gigs over near 5 decades were and always have been consistently: the Jazz ones
and 2) some had no stage at all
You literally did set up "over there"
it was however the clientele and or the event that were upper crust
hence the pay.
cocktail jazz paid more -still does- than beer rock for me.
So for the money and the music I've set up on the stair landing at a Train Station restaurant
or against the wall next to the buffet in a Garden civic center or under a painting at the county Art museum.
Not only is there a ruler but a cloth tape measure.
But the money stack at the end of the gig was always higher.
Off side of the fireplace..

Last edited: