What “Do it all” sizes to go with? Vote!

Which sizes would you pick for a “do it all” setup?

• 20x14/14x14/12x8

Votes: 64 55.7%
  • 20x14/15x14/12x8

Votes: 29 25.2%
  • 22x14/14x14/12x8

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • 22x14/15x14/12x8

Votes: 14 12.2%

• Total voters

hsosdrum

Reaction score
14” floor toms for rock is way too small.
Ginger Baker's main floor tom when he was with Cream in the '60s was always a 14x14 and that size sure worked OK for him playing rock.

In fact, it works for me too. My Legacy Maple kit has 8x12, 9x13, 14x14 and 14x16 toms and the 14x14 kicks a$$. It's all in the tuning (and in the touch, of course).

I voted for 22/14/12 because I haven't used a bass drum smaller than a 22 in close to 50 years. I like the heft I get from 22s. It's easier to dial-back a 22 than it is to make a 20 sound bigger.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
I smell regret in this too honestly and I only want to do it because of Ludwig’s mod orange finish. I wouldn’t wanna do it for any other Ludwig kit or any other kit.
here is the 22/12/14 that I just setup to take a pic. The other pic is the 22/16/13 and I left the 20” bass in the car since last time I played at a friend’s house. 3-ply Mahogany all around with beech rerings. I practice on dw practice pad kit these days. The 22/16/13 are from mid 70’s and 20/14/12 are from early 70’s so different tom mounts but I don’t use the mounts anyway.

I think the mod orange fever is temporary and it might leave me and I will be regretting for letting these go but again I am so into mod orange nowadays.
View attachment 459778
View attachment 459779
Also, these pics don’t do this kit justice, it probably shows 30% of what it really looks like in person, gorgeous deep piano black with super shiny diamond like chrome.
Those are really, really nice! Basic black is forever.

deegeebee

Reaction score
I am really enjoying 12x15" as a do it all alternative these days. Punchy and very wide tuning range. Can easily get it to rumble like a 16 or bop like a 14.

That said, keep the Premiers! Extreme switch from those mahogany 3-ply shells to modern 45 degree edges. Won't be any going back.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My favorite part of these threads is when the we are asked to specifically pick from a list or vote for something, people rush to offer their own, personal held favorite opinion that was not even a part of the orgional options on the table.

I like Dale's comment "I guess. Let’s be honest here, any sound is good for any genre. We all make a big deal about it, but it really doesn’t matter. Worse case scenario is your sound is simply different." Love it Dale... and dont we all WANT to be different? Don't we WANT our own sound? That's why their is an endless supply of brands, material and sizes in the market place, so we can each find our own sound.

Jazz head, man I understand the burn for a new kit... it's flares up in most of us from time to time but maybe you could save a bit longer and keep the Premier's AND get the Ludwigs? No chance for regret then. OR sell half the bank and keep them both but different... say the Ludwigs in 12, 14 & 20" maple while you keep the 13, 16 & 22" in the Mahogany Premier's.

Oh wait... I just gave my own opinion that was not listed as part of the orgional list didn't I... OK, never mind the first part then!

I voted for the first configuration as I use that to cover a LOT of different situations but their is not a bad option in your list.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never owned a 15" FT, but many folks here have sworn that it's the perfect in-betweener size. I can gig rock fine with a 14" FT, but I prefer a 16" — seems like the 15" could be the "just right." Except finding heads at a moment's notice might be a pain in the rear.

I dunno, I think a 15" FT is worth exploring...? So, I chose 20/15/12.
I love my 14X15. I have 3 of them and they work perfectly with the 8x12 or 9x12. I like the 16x16 I have, but I prefer that with my 13”.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not only is the first option a proven versatile combination, but since it's Ludwig's "Downbeat" configuration you should be able to get it with little to no wait time and cheaper than custom sizes.

Last edited:

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My favorite part of these threads is when the we are asked to specifically pick from a list or vote for something, people rush to offer their own, personal held favorite opinion that was not even a part of the orgional options on the table.

I like Dale's comment "I guess. Let’s be honest here, any sound is good for any genre. We all make a big deal about it, but it really doesn’t matter. Worse case scenario is your sound is simply different." Love it Dale... and dont we all WANT to be different? Don't we WANT our own sound? That's why their is an endless supply of brands, material and sizes in the market place, so we can each find our own sound.

Jazz head, man I understand the burn for a new kit... it's flares up in most of us from time to time but maybe you could save a bit longer and keep the Premier's AND get the Ludwigs? No chance for regret then. OR sell half the bank and keep them both but different... say the Ludwigs in 12, 14 & 20" maple while you keep the 13, 16 & 22" in the Mahogany Premier's.

Oh wait... I just gave my own opinion that was not listed as part of the orgional list didn't I... OK, never mind the first part then!

I voted for the first configuration as I use that to cover a LOT of different situations but their is not a bad option in your list.
I may be able to do that in future, keep the 22/16/13 Premiers and get a Ludwig downbeat kit But I can’t keep everything and add the downbeats too. I wanted to kind of rush this thing because I don’t know how long mod orange will be offered, it’s been out since 2017.
Also to avoid spending a lot of additional money I was thinking to sell the whole shell bank and settle on a 20/14/12 or 20/15/12 which will cost me extra $1500ish but will cover a lot of grounds and also save space. The deep black is gorgeous with the chrome, I may regret selling the 20/14/12 even.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My "go to" set is the one shown in my avatar... a 1966 Rogers Headliner. 12/16/20. I converted a Rogers 12x15 tenor drum to a floor tom and it has replaced my 16x16. Using a 2-ply batter head, it can reach almost as low as the 16. The best part is that it's much easier to carry! If I was buying a kit today, I'd want a 15" floor tom in either a 13" or 14" depth.

-Mark

Attachments

avedisschwinn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I voted 12/15/20. I am thinning the herd, and if I were actually to get "one last kit" I would choose 20x14 bass drum, with 10x8 mounted and 13x13 and 15x15 floor toms. Unorthodox, but I like the intervals for versatility, and I like one up + two down.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I voted 12/15/20. I am thinning the herd, and if I were actually to get "one last kit" I would choose 20x14 bass drum, with 10x8 mounted and 13x13 and 15x15 floor toms. Unorthodox, but I like the intervals for versatility, and I like one up + two down.
I didn’t mention it my post but I wanted to go with 20/12/15 since that 15” floor should be interesting or maybe the more standard downbeat combo.
But now again I am lost in the dilemma of if I should sell my shell bank of vintage Premiers and get a 3-piece modern Ludwig kit.

chillybase

Reaction score
I'm only voting Downbeat sizes even though I haven't gigged as a drummer much. I am a longtime musician though and I feel that a Downbeat sized kit would be suitable for most venues. I have to say that my teenage years were during the 90s. So big Dave Grohl kits were popular as they were in the 70s.

I bet you could fit the floor tom, rack tom, snare, and throne seat into one of those Protec bags. Hardware may be able to fit into those side pockets, depending on what you have. Kick in its own bag. Lastly, your cymbal bag. I'd say you would be in the club/rehearsal in two trips max. Maybe strap the drum rug onto the Protec bag. Maybe add a kick drum mic inside with a KelleyShu and then get an overhead mic or pair for when you need a little push on the smaller gigs without a soundperson.

I'm not sure what kind of car you drive but you'd be able to fit the drums into a small car for sure.

I have a 22/116/14/12 Tama Superstar and I still want to size down to a 20/14/12 even though it isn't that much smaller.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 22/116/14/12 Tama Superstar and I still want to size down to a 20/14/12 even though it isn't that much smaller.
116, that must be a big drum..jk

same here, I do have both 22/16/13 and 20/14/12 and I think I have too many drums, I can settle with a 20/14/12 or 20/15/12 but I have hard time letting my Premiers go and replace with a Ludwig set.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
12/14/20 for the win. But have you thought about Club Dates with CM shells? The center imperial lug is oh so classic jazzy and they come with roundovers, no extra charge! Fat, warm, yummy.

What’s better than ordering a new set of Ludwigs? (That’s a rhetorical question btw, obviously there’s nothing)

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
12/14/20 for the win. But have you thought about Club Dates with CM shells? The center imperial lug is oh so classic jazzy and they come with roundovers, no extra charge! Fat, warm, yummy.

What’s better than ordering a new set of Ludwigs? (That’s a rhetorical question btw, obviously there’s nothing)
I wish I could get the club date (not a fan of imperial) bow tie lugs but Ludwig doesn’t offer club dates anymore. Whatever you see on the market today that is it.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
I wish I could get the club date (not a fan of imperial) bow tie lugs but Ludwig doesn’t offer club dates anymore. Whatever you see on the market today that is it.
I thought that was the case as well, but I just watched Bonzoleum unbox a brand new set from Ludwig. Club Dates with CM shells (instead of the Club Date shell), and I’m pretty sure he said “I ordered them with the classic maple shells”, whereas he would’ve mentioned if they were NOS or something. I know they’re not on the menu anymore, but it’s worth a phone call.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought that was the case as well, but I just watched Bonzoleum unbox a brand new set from Ludwig. Club Dates with CM shells (instead of the Club Date shell), and I’m pretty sure he said “I ordered them with the classic maple shells”, whereas he would’ve mentioned if they were NOS or something. I know they’re not on the menu anymore, but it’s worth a phone call.
Just looked at Ludwig’s ordering sheet. Club date shells are not available BUT imperial lugs are, so yes one can order a CM shell with imperial lugs, and bearing edges can be ordered as single or double 45 or rounded. If I go with a club date I’d want the bow tie lugs, for some reason I like the imperials only on Supra. Chicago music exchange offered club dates with bow ties a year or two years ago, exclusively made for them.

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
Just looked at Ludwig’s ordering sheet. Club date shells are not available BUT imperial lugs are, so yes one can order a CM shell with imperial lugs, and bearing edges can be ordered as single or double 45 or rounded. If I go with a club date I’d want the bow tie lugs, for some reason I like the imperials only on Supra. Chicago music exchange offered club dates with bow ties a year or two years ago, exclusively made for them.
They still have some, but it looks like only in 22" / 24" + 13" / 16"

Latest posts