What “Do it all” sizes to go with? Vote!

Which sizes would you pick for a “do it all” setup?

• 20x14/14x14/12x8

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • 20x14/15x14/12x8

Votes: 29 25.0%
  • 22x14/14x14/12x8

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • 22x14/15x14/12x8

Votes: 15 12.9%

• Total voters

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They still have some, but it looks like only in 22" / 24" + 13" / 16"
Yup, not the sizes and the finish I want but those are super cool with those lugs. I think traditional club dates look better than super classic or down beat kits.

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't worry about the sizes of the drums (especially if you have mics on the drums) ... it's how they are tuned.

I use an 18" kick at most of my gigs ... genres include: rock, pop & country

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
I just asked Terry (Bonzoleum) how to go about ordering Club Dates... should get a reply soon. I did confirm that he just ordered them and they came straight from Ludwig, they’re not NOS. Bowties is maybe another question, but ya never know.

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
i plated 12/14/22 for years and it was perfect.
of that list above, id opt for 12/14/20 as the older i get, the less i want to carry!
my goto thought would be 13/16/22

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just asked Terry (Bonzoleum) how to go about ordering Club Dates... should get a reply soon. I did confirm that he just ordered them and they came straight from Ludwig, they’re not NOS. Bowties is maybe another question, but ya never know.
Yea it is just an excel sheet from Ludwig, on their website, you fill it out and give it to your dealer (in my case would be pro drum shop) and get a quote. Their current sheet doesn’t show club date (2ply maple-3 ply poplar-2 ply maple) available. So it is straight forward, choose CM shell and your lugs, no bow ties available.
You can also choose to add white reso-cote to the shells and add baseball bat muffler, cymbal mount on bass drum, edges, etc. All just costs extra money.

Last edited:

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought 20/15/12 will get a lot votes Because of that 15” floor but looks like 20/14/12 is majority’s vote.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Yea it is just an excel sheet from Ludwig, on their website, you fill it out and give it to your dealer (in my case would be pro drum shop) and get a quote. Their current sheet doesn’t show club date (2ply maple-3 ply poplar-2 ply maple) available. So it is straight forward, choose CM shell and your lugs, no bow ties available.
No, I’m familiar with the website order form. What I’m saying is that may not be the whole story. L
I thought 20/15/12 will get a lot votes Because of that 15” floor but looks like 20/14/12 is majority’s vote.
I play a 12/15/20, and it’s awesome. But the jazz decided me on the 12/14/20. They just do a better job of jazz AND other stuff. The 12/15 does a really good job at the other stuff, but can’t compete with a 12/14 for jazz imho. The 12/15 can do jazz of course, just don’t expect a classic bop sound. But for mid to low tunings, the 12/15/20 is badass, the spread is really nice.

I’ve been able to get everything I’ve wanted as far as heads for the 15”, so that hasn’t been an issue. The 12/15/20 combo is starting to pop up from more companies, seems like it’s catching on.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What are you going to do with your Premiers.
keep half? Sell all? Trade in?..
If I end up pulling the trigger on a downbeat kit, I will probably keep the 22/16/13 Premiers and sell the 20/14/12. Really hard for me to decide, I love the 12x8” Premier tom, and the 14”x14” floor, and the 20” bass...damn! I need to go see a mod orange kit in person, I might not even like it. I am only considering this because of that finish otherwise wouldn’t want to get rid of the Premiers.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
If I end up pulling the trigger on a downbeat kit, I will probably keep the 22/16/13 Premiers and sell the 20/14/12. Really hard for me to decide, I love the 12x8” Premier tom, and the 14”x14” floor, and the 20” bass...damn! I need to go see a mod orange kit in person, I might not even like it. I am only considering this because of that finish otherwise wouldn’t want to get rid of the Premiers.
Can I see that picture if there is one, of the 20/12/14 Prem please. Thaxs

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can I see that picture if there is one, of the 20/12/14 Prem please. Thaxs
Sure, the 20” is in my car, I’ll bring it up and set it up to take a pic. Will post here tomorrow! They are gorgeous, the hoops need some refinishing, I was gonna take them to Pro drum.

mtug

Reaction score
I have the 20/14/12 set in Ludwig CM as you're contemplating. I use (well, I used to use it prior to the political disease we're experiencing) it for jazz, big band and some rock. I have found it does well in all applications.

kzac

Reaction score
Looking to iron out the sizes of Ludwig CMs I want to order in near future. Debating on different configurations but my heart is set at 1 config.
Drums will be Ludwig classic maples with single 45deg edges, there is the option of double and rounded but I think it is extra $100 per drum to change from standard single 45.

This will be my “do it all” one and only 4-piece drum set (Jazz, fusion, blues, rock, no extra loud and heavy music) so needs to cover a lot of grounds and be portable. I will pair it with a 14”x5” classic maple matching snare or a 14”x5” Supra, or both depending on budget.
Here is my suggestion after playing drums for over 40 years
Don't.... Again .... Don't .... buy a drum kit
Get the drums that produce the sound you desire, regardless of who makes them or the shell material indicated.
If your gigging about town it all depends on IF you plan on miking your drums or not.

If your gigging... get shells that are plastic wrapped. Gigging bangs up drums, even in cases.

Take advantage of the Yamaha triple mount and their hardware, as you can get your stands down to a reasonable volume and weight, If you use their tom mount on your floor tom, you loose the legs to tote around.

My gigging kit included a 10in mounted tom 14 and 18 floor toms.. I only took the 18 when I new we would be playing a rocking venue with lots of folks
I used a piccolo snare as its smaller, gives a good crack, and fit in the bag with my toms.

The debate will be 20 VS 24 in bass drum, and that is where miking the kit comes into play, A 20in bass will not be enough for a large venue but it will be more than adequate for a small venue. If you don't mike your drums then make sure you have two bass drums and carry along the appropriate one.

My gigging about town kit for over 20 years had Stage custom toms and bass (which got beat up), A piccolo snare, either a Yamaha 20 bass or a Ludwig 24 bass, and a Ludwig 18 floor tom for loud venues. A small box of traps. and of course my hardware and cymbals. Using the Yamaha triple mount allowed me to reduce the volume of cymbal stand bottoms I had to carry (especially if your the roadie).
For small venues I had a cymbal bag, a hardware bag, a tom/snare bag (MX clothes bag) and my Bass bag, and a backpack o stuff. I got my hardware bag from Wal Mart... 6oo denier bag with handles on either end and side pouches. I have seen other folks successfully use a golf club bag for their hardware.
For large venues I only had to include the larger bass drum and the 18 floor tom in a separate bag (5 bags total)
I could trek everything into the venue in two trips.
To keep from getting ripped of, I would carry cable locks with me and lock my stuff to something solid if necessary. That kit held up for over 20 years of use, and no one ever complained about how it sounded.

Because I selected my cymbals by sound, people would come up to me after the show and say.... those are great sounding cymbals. I use a Sabian B8 ride, A Paiste prototype 16 crash, a Zild 18 crash, 8 (Meinl) and 10 (B8) splashes , New beat HH, or 502s HH, and a 12in china (something I picked up for 20 bucks). I also had a cut down Sabian AA crash (20 cut to 14) with a huge bell that I would use at rock venues. I used cymbal stackers for the splashes to reduce booms and stands

That is why my advice is not to focus on a kit... get the things you will use that will provide the sound you desire. I can personally tell you that Ludwig's will be too punchy and muddy for Jazz. you want toms that have distinct tone and long sustain for Jazz, especially if your playing fast paradiddle runs on your toms. My current studio kit has two 8s tuned high and low just for that purpose. The higher pitched tom also serves for timabli work, its a ringing Mapex tom, perfect for its purpose.

Lastly, Drums sound completely different in the mix, you need to be able to cut through or you will just wash away into the background, and all that fancy hand work will be for naught.

My first gig, I hauled around a monster kit 5 or 6 toms a 24 bass and about 12- 14 cymbals, and traps and their stands, it was a huge pain in the butt to setup and haul back and forth. After the second gig ... I cut way back. Focus on a 5 minute setup ... use lots of tape to mark your stands and their position on your rug. Hardware position locks are your best friend.

Good Luck ... Hope something I have stated helps ... This was my approach.... Kinda rambling round but I'm old so Its OK...

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here is my suggestion after playing drums for over 40 years
Don't.... Again .... Don't .... buy a drum kit
Get the drums that produce the sound you desire, regardless of who makes them or the shell material indicated.
If your gigging about town it all depends on IF you plan on miking your drums or not.

If your gigging... get shells that are plastic wrapped. Gigging bangs up drums, even in cases.

Take advantage of the Yamaha triple mount and their hardware, as you can get your stands down to a reasonable volume and weight, If you use their tom mount on your floor tom, you loose the legs to tote around.

My gigging kit included a 10in mounted tom 14 and 18 floor toms.. I only took the 18 when I new we would be playing a rocking venue with lots of folks
I used a piccolo snare as its smaller, gives a good crack, and fit in the bag with my toms.

The debate will be 20 VS 24 in bass drum, and that is where miking the kit comes into play, A 20in bass will not be enough for a large venue but it will be more than adequate for a small venue. If you don't mike your drums then make sure you have two bass drums and carry along the appropriate one.

My gigging about town kit for over 20 years had Stage custom toms and bass (which got beat up), A piccolo snare, either a Yamaha 20 bass or a Ludwig 24 bass, and a Ludwig 18 floor tom for loud venues. A small box of traps. and of course my hardware and cymbals. Using the Yamaha triple mount allowed me to reduce the volume of cymbal stand bottoms I had to carry (especially if your the roadie).
For small venues I had a cymbal bag, a hardware bag, a tom/snare bag (MX clothes bag) and my Bass bag, and a backpack o stuff. I got my hardware bag from Wal Mart... 6oo denier bag with handles on either end and side pouches. I have seen other folks successfully use a golf club bag for their hardware.
For large venues I only had to include the larger bass drum and the 18 floor tom in a separate bag (5 bags total)
I could trek everything into the venue in two trips.
To keep from getting ripped of, I would carry cable locks with me and lock my stuff to something solid if necessary. That kit held up for over 20 years of use, and no one ever complained about how it sounded.

Because I selected my cymbals by sound, people would come up to me after the show and say.... those are great sounding cymbals. I use a Sabian B8 ride, A Paiste prototype 16 crash, a Zild 18 crash, 8 (Meinl) and 10 (B8) splashes , New beat HH, or 502s HH, and a 12in china (something I picked up for 20 bucks). I also had a cut down Sabian AA crash (20 cut to 14) with a huge bell that I would use at rock venues. I used cymbal stackers for the splashes to reduce booms and stands

That is why my advice is not to focus on a kit... get the things you will use that will provide the sound you desire. I can personally tell you that Ludwig's will be too punchy and muddy for Jazz. you want toms that have distinct tone and long sustain for Jazz, especially if your playing fast paradiddle runs on your toms. My current studio kit has two 8s tuned high and low just for that purpose. The higher pitched tom also serves for timabli work, its a ringing Mapex tom, perfect for its purpose.

Lastly, Drums sound completely different in the mix, you need to be able to cut through or you will just wash away into the background, and all that fancy hand work will be for naught.

My first gig, I hauled around a monster kit 5 or 6 toms a 24 bass and about 12- 14 cymbals, and traps and their stands, it was a huge pain in the butt to setup and haul back and forth. After the second gig ... I cut way back. Focus on a 5 minute setup ... use lots of tape to mark your stands and their position on your rug. Hardware position locks are your best friend.

Good Luck ... Hope something I have stated helps ... This was my approach.... Kinda rambling round but I'm old so Its OK...
Here's my advice , don't listen to this guy ..Geez you are going to dole out advice on tom tones and you use a B8 ride ??
bahahahahhhaahhah and 2 8" toms in the studio ? You sir are the only guy I've ever heard of doing that ..

kzac

Reaction score
I had initially written a long response ... but for the work you describe married to gigging, I would suggest acquiring a set of Yamaha Rydeen 24 bass with 16 floor tom, especially if your gigging around town.
Replace the snare with the one of your choice
Replace the bass Spurs with the Gibraltar heavy version (a direct bolt on replacement)
Replace the bass drum hoops and claws (something heaver, I used Maple hoops and some heavier claws I had in my stash)
Replace the front bass drum head with a Ambassador, the rear head is just fine (add a contact patch)
Replace the floor tom legs and brackets, this is where Yamaha saved money.
Consider coating the bare shells (inside with some marine epoxy enamel clear, especially the bearing edges) it will keep moisture problems at bay.
You could change drum rims. but I didn't find the heaver rims to make much if any difference in the drum sound
That kit will tick off all your venues on your list.
Add to that the use of the Yamaha tri mount for your cymbal stands (to reduce how many you carry) and you will have an outstanding road kit, that you won't be worried will get knocked about (and its going to get knocked about).

If you don't want anyone to know what kit your playing, just remove the badges

Those drums are light weight and sound incredible with proper heads.

Leave your 3K Ludwigs in the studio or at the house...

Last edited: