What “Do it all” sizes to go with? Vote!

Which sizes would you pick for a “do it all” setup?

• 20x14/14x14/12x8

Votes: 64 55.7%
  • 20x14/15x14/12x8

Votes: 29 25.2%
  • 22x14/14x14/12x8

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • 22x14/15x14/12x8

Votes: 14 12.2%

• Total voters

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
They look nicer that I thought; maybe keep those and offload the later .
I can see why you're in such a conundrum (pun.

Sammybear

Reaction score
My last Ludwig CM kit was a Downbeat hybrid 20 x 14, 10 x 8, 12 x 8, 16 x 14. Lovely kit! Unfortunately sold it.
I now play a Ludwig CM Bop kit 18 x 12, 12 x 8, 14 x 14. I also have a 10 x 8 I can add for a 5-piece fusion/latin/rock type kit.
If I would have been thinking, I should have just added an 18 x 12 and 14 x 14 in the same color/finish as my first kit and I would have had great options. I was trying to reduce my carbon footprint by downsizing, but now find myself wanting to add a 20 x 14 back into the mix (I believe is the most versatile kick size out there). The 18 x 12 is great, but I miss the 20 x 14 and strangely enough the 16 x 14 floor tom.
If I had to do it all over again, I would go with the Down Beat sizes 20 x 14, 12 x 8 and I might upsize the floor to a 16 x 14. That might be my ideal kit.

Attachments

cruddola

Reaction score
Looking to iron out the sizes of Ludwig CMs I want to order in near future. Debating on different configurations but my heart is set at 1 config.
Drums will be Ludwig classic maples with single 45deg edges, there is the option of double and rounded but I think it is extra $100 per drum to change from standard single 45.

This will be my “do it all” one and only 4-piece drum set (Jazz, fusion, blues, rock, no extra loud and heavy music) so needs to cover a lot of grounds and be portable. I will pair it with a 14”x5” classic maple matching snare or a 14”x5” Supra, or both depending on budget.
You request makes no sense to me. Kinda like me asking what kind of woman to get to be my wife. Get off your ass and go out and try the various-sized kits out there. Try out their tuning range, different heads, etc. No one drums like you, so do your own research before dumping heavy dough on a custom kit. Ask your drumming friends to allow you to take a ride on their kits. Experiment! In six decades of drumming I've never had the need to score a custom kit. There's no need except to owning a boutique thing. Off the used floor and shelf has worked for me. I've played in bands that have opened for the Motown Greats and RCA Decca Jazz Greats, to Molly Hatchet, John Cafferty and including Vince Furnier and The Spiders back in the day. He's known today as Alice Cooper. The closest I've come to a custom kit is scoring a used made in Japan Yamaha Recording Custom and a used Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute kit. (I junked purchasing DW after sitting behind the Yamahas.)I still have them. (I like my Old-school, bullet-proof, early Tama Imperialstars best.) The Recording Customs, the most recorded kit ever. The most consistent in terms of widest tuning range from kit to kit ever made. (Same goes for their acoustic pianos. Sorry, Steinway.)The King of drums according to LIVE recording engineers at studios. While others come and go, the Recording Customs are the standard, bar none. I have yet to personally know of a drummer who has their own custom-ordered kit. They have mighty fine homes and transportation instead.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
I voted 20/14/12. That is what I play and have no complaints about using those sizes for almost any club date work. If you are doing large clubs 400 people or more in the room, move to a 22/16/13 configuration or even a 24 bass drum. And if you are dead set on a 12” Tom go up to a 9x12, it has more balls.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had initially written a long response ... but for the work you describe married to gigging, I would suggest acquiring a set of Yamaha Rydeen 24 bass with 16 floor tom, especially if your gigging around town.
Replace the snare with the one of your choice
Replace the bass Spurs with the Gibraltar heavy version (a direct bolt on replacement)
Replace the bass drum hoops and claws (something heaver, I used Maple hoops and some heavier claws I had in my stash)
Replace the front bass drum head with a Ambassador, the rear head is just fine (add a contact patch)
Replace the floor tom legs and brackets, this is where Yamaha saved money.
Consider coating the bare shells (inside with some marine epoxy enamel clear, especially the bearing edges) it will keep moisture problems at bay.
You could change drum rims. but I didn't find the heaver rims to make much if any difference in the drum sound
That kit will tick off all your venues on your list.
Add to that the use of the Yamaha tri mount for your cymbal stands (to reduce how many you carry) and you will have an outstanding road kit, that you won't be worried will get knocked about (and its going to get knocked about).

If you don't want anyone to know what kit your playing, just remove the badges

Those drums are light weight and sound incredible with proper heads.

Leave your 3K Ludwigs in the studio or at the house...
Oh I get it , this is sarcasm !!!

Slingwig26

Reaction score
Looking to iron out the sizes of Ludwig CMs I want to order in near future. Debating on different configurations but my heart is set at 1 config.
Drums will be Ludwig classic maples with single 45deg edges, there is the option of double and rounded but I think it is extra $100 per drum to change from standard single 45.

This will be my “do it all” one and only 4-piece drum set (Jazz, fusion, blues, rock, no extra loud and heavy music) so needs to cover a lot of grounds and be portable. I will pair it with a 14”x5” classic maple matching snare or a 14”x5” Supra, or both depending on budget.
I have Ludwig CM , natural maple, 16x20, 13x15, 9x12, 6x13. Great sizes. Sound huge, believe it or not.