What 1 drum related item of yours ‘epitomizes’ it’s category or intended use.

notINtheband

Reaction score
Could be anything you use that is just so damn good at what it does. Your particular throne, snare, the ideal cymbal stand, the most gorgeous sounding floor tom, the mic that crushes every other you’ve tried.
For me, it happens to be a piece I truly don’t play that often. I have 3 kits and countless stands and cymbals, but one of them, a Paiste prototype China cymbal I rescued from a pawn shop for $40, is the most perfect sounding China I have ever heard. It just does what it does, better than almost anything I play. The ideal pitch, wash, sustain, and volume. For what I do, it just nails it.

flatwins

Reaction score
20 some years ago I was in our local Music Go Round (long since gone) and picked up a first gen Paiste Traditional 16” thin crash. The first gen had the etched logo and the cymbal had some cracks originating from the logo stamp. I paid $60 for it and drilled stop holes in the cracks. At the time I was playing harder music so I didn’t do much with the cymbal and actually forgot about it. Years later I rediscovered it and these days it is a staple. I use it for pretty much every practice and gig.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) hi hat
2) snare drum
3) ride cymbal
4) tom toms
5) floor tom
6) bass drum
7) left cymbal
8) bd pedal
9) seat
10) sticks

11) remo drumheads
12) drum keys
13) bd spurs
14) tom holder ft legs
15) internal shell screws
16) snare cord

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
20210613_172434.jpg
RCA R77, best darn mic I've ever worked with. This one has absolutely mint electronics and sounds just ridiculously good on everything I've tried so far. Here, it is at the position I prefer for drums. It nicely complements the kick-in mic's extra low-end, while also giving the snare and cymbals a sense of depth... I can also use it a mono overhead for that Instant vintage recording vibe and tone. It still brings a bit of that in a muti-mic setup, just less pronounced.

It wasn't a crushing deal like a 25$ old K at a garage sale, but I still paid way less then what some of these usually go for, wich make it one of the best deals I've made in like, ever. Even at FULL street value, this mic is worth every penny...

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 504110 RCA R77, best darn mic I've ever worked with. This one has absolutely mint electronics and sounds just ridiculously good on everything I've tried so far. Here, it is at the position I prefer for drums. It nicely complements the kick-in mic's extra low-end, while also giving the snare and cymbals a sense of depth... I can also use it a mono overhead for that Instant vintage recording vibe and tone. It still brings a bit of that in a muti-mic setup, just less pronounced.

It wasn't a crushing deal like a 25$ old K at a garage sale, but I still paid way less then what some of these usually go for, wich make it one of the best deals I've made in like, ever. Even at FULL street value, this mic is worth every penny...
Thought you might bring out the RCA. No doubt it is one of the quintessential mics of all time. Post a recording if you get a chance. I think it’s worth sharing how it sounds.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thought you might bring out the RCA. No doubt it is one of the quintessential mics of all time. Post a recording if you get a chance. I think it’s worth sharing how it sounds.
I most definitely will! I'm just getting the hang of video editing and I'd like to showcase it solo AND in context with the other mics, pre and post EQ. And maybe in a mixed track as well. For me, at the speed at wich I work, this means a whole day, maybe 2 ;-)

In the mean time here's a vid of me tracking for my band's album. The mix is a crude ruff that I did myself, but it includes the RCA. There's a bit of me yappin' but the song starts at 2:00 or thereabouts https://www.drumforum.org/threads/5-days-studio-retreat.177041/post-2117355

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have to say, my Ludwig LB508K 8x14 hammered bronze phonic. Sounds as good as it looks and even if it sounded bad, I'd still stare at it the way I always do.

IMG_20201223_175724.jpg

Second goes to my Motion-Pro throne. It's fantastic!

Motion-Pro.jpg

Plus every other Ludwig piece I won, LOL!!!

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
My Tama Camco bass drum pedal that I bought for myself on my 22nd birthday in 1994. I have used it every time I have sat down to play since. Even on gigs when I use a house kit or another drummer’s gear I always bring it with me. I am not sure I could function without it!
I have 4 of those including a NIB 30th Anniversary reissue I got for Christmas 2 years ago.I used it last night...

notINtheband

Reaction score
My Tama Camco bass drum pedal that I bought for myself on my 22nd birthday in 1994. I have used it every time I have sat down to play since. Even on gigs when I use a house kit or another drummer’s gear I always bring it with me. I am not sure I could function without it!
I too would have to give my throne an honorable mention. Hydraulic Roc n Soc with the backrest.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would have to say; the Grove Wedge is one of the most used addition to the kit that I have. And in combination with the 6.5x14 Lud-A-Loy snare it has be best sounding cross stick sound I've ever heard. IMO

sherm

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Two items I would keep until I die ...... 1) Brady 12 x 7 Sheoak block snare and 2) 21" Bosphorus Turk flat ride. I can't think of better versions of either for their intended use .....

Shovel&Pale

Reaction score
I too would have to give my throne an honorable mention. Hydraulic Roc n Soc with the backrest.
I still say one of the best pieces of music related gear I have bought (not hydraulic though, I set it and leave it). That and, I forget the brand but, a rolling hardware bag. Also 3 Gibraltar flat base cymbal stands. Cheap, solid and light!