What actual colors are/were these..1939 WFL Hollywood snare ??

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a new Gretsch USA Brooklyn on my watch list. That was in a Blue/ White center/ pearl wrap..) (can't find it) I think the auction said special/Dealer only or something) But looked like that

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Annnnnd here's Johnny..USA Brooklyn

we,ll close...

("Hollywood Drum Show Demo Gretsch Brooklyn 5pc Blue Burst Nitron finish This finish isn’t even out yet to the general public .")

Similar ;) I don't know exactly how they do that but sure is well done.

Last edited:

musicman64

Reaction score
That's gotta be BDP and WMP, no?
That's what I am curious about. It COULD be BDP/WMP..with 80 years of age/fade....or Blue Diamond/Creme...I can't find any pictures or reference to the Duco option anywhere. That was also my question, has anyone seen a duco pearl model of this snare before?? Any info is welcome Thanks

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those finishes were created by painting the colors on the backside of a translucent pearl wrap so any color combination was possible and the colors don't necessarily have to line up with any of the standard pearl wraps. I'd guess that the color has yellowed a bit over the decades but this probably isn't too far off from the original which looks similar to a light blue and cream colored duco drum.

musicman64

Reaction score
Thank all you for having the correct information I needed. I thought it was a factory/stock option..but wasn't really sure. The wrap is actually in good physical shape, not loose or bubbling at all. The color fade seems to be age/product related, not from storage or exposure, as it is even all around.It will stay as is as long as I have it. Thanks to all you more knowledgeable for sharing.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As usual, expert detective work from you fellas. Nice job!
That drum is so cool. Is it yours?

musicman64

Reaction score
YES..it is mine. Another closet classic...I am actually running low on these hard to find ones. I am thinking of selling this one, as hand surgery{ both hands} is approaching. It was stored in a Ludwig suitcase, inside a pillowcase for many years. I just removed top head for inspection, vacuumed the dust out, replaced head and gently wiped it off. Quality construction helps retain it's integrity. Hate to see it go, but I am sure it will go to another good caretaker.