What an opportunity!!!

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Maybe they truly believe this is a viable offer for bands, but it's the same ol' same ol'. At least they didn't use the term "exposure"...smh

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm obviously out of the loop here. What is the issue with this?
The business model seems somewhat solid. I've played in most of the states. I have not confronted anything that might be a problem with this.
Most all of the groups I played in took on promotion and management, so that is not an issue.
The major issues we confronted were the same mentioned here ... ticket splits and venue costs. Both appear to be solved with this agreement.
I'm missing some variable that others are aware of ...

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When venues do this, it tells me that people do not view their establishment as a destination for entertainment/enjoyment. Just a venue with a stage. They require bands to bring their audience and customer base.

Good venues, at least in my experience, have a built in crowd that comes because of the atmosphere. The club/bar is the destination, and the bands are there to entertain. This approach is that of a concert hall, and not a place where you would have any regular crowd. Just MO.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In another ten years bands will be begging for this deal. In my area it is $100 per man and dinner if you are lucky.

My guess is the EU will ban all playing of copyrighted material and Minority Report style PreCog Units will descend upon the venue to arrest you before you even set up.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
In another ten years bands will be begging for this deal. In my area it is $100 per man and dinner if you are lucky.

My guess is the EU will ban all playing of copyrighted material and Minority Report style PreCog Units will descend upon the venue to arrest you before you even set up.
Yet Spotify, Youtube, Pandora etc will continue to pay next to nothing in royalties.... I think it's getting close to the time that bands should play for dinner and a few free drinks and call it a day/night (obviously talking about those of us that are semi-Pro, playing any covers)

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think the issue is there are two types of clubs/two types of bands...doing the original music thing that's not a bad deal (who provides the PA/Soundman?). Original music and GB bands.

I have a gig Saturday, original music...cover is $10...band get's $2 for the 1st 25 people we bring in...then 100% after that. we play a 45min set. two other bands. We hope that the other bands folks will stick around for a few songs (we're in the middle).

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score

Why in the world with anyone BAN the use of copyright music in live performances??? How are composers supposed to make money?

Oh..... unless you mean "ban" any venue allow live performances of copyrighted material WITHOUT paying the appropriate license fees.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yet Spotify, Youtube, Pandora etc will continue to pay next to nothing in royalties.... I think it's getting close to the time that bands should play for dinner and a few free drinks and call it a day/night (obviously talking about those of us that are semi-Pro, playing any covers)
And... of course, bands DON'T pay any royalties for performing copyrighted music... venues do. Or whoever the live performance producer does.

Now I'm not saying that there aren't problems with the current model for streaming - but for legitimate businesses, like performance royalties aren't really that high either.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
And... of course, bands DON'T pay any royalties for performing copyrighted music... venues do. Or whoever the live performance producer does.

Now I'm not saying that there aren't problems with the current model for streaming - but for legitimate businesses, like performance royalties aren't really that high either.
Good point... I think sometimes though the bars are paying lower because of their fees...or at least another excuse for them

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

In a way bands do pay for performing copyrighted material because the venue that hired them does. If a venue pays 8K per year in ASCAP fees it is entirely possible that they are taking that into consideration when determining what they have left to pay a band. In addition several venues in our area simply refused to pay the fee and stop having live music so in that circumstance the band pays by the loss of a venue to play at.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Why in the world with anyone BAN the use of copyright music in live performances??? How are composers supposed to make money?

Oh..... unless you mean "ban" any venue allow live performances of copyrighted material WITHOUT paying the appropriate license fees.
The banning of copyrighted material seems to be the direction things are going.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In my naive opinion, you are a club that either has live music or you don't. Too many places simply like the idea of having a band but aren't set up for it, or haven't thought it out. Gotta love showing up and then having to wait for people to finish their dinners so that they can move the tables and have you set up. But at least you have a dining crowd.

I ran into something like the situation above. Reached out to a club looking for bands. They asked if I had a showcase available. "What's a showcase, what do you mean?" I asked. They wanted me to find 2 other bands, check with the club on the available dates and then we could split the door. So basically you are turning the lights on in your establishment, but I am now a booking agent too? No way am I setting all this up.

At least it's not "pay to play" but it may as well be. And yet there are always bands chomping at the bit to grab up these opportunities, so they continue to thrive.

Unless it's a benefit, I'm sorry I'm not playing for free or for "exposure".