What are my options for non-vintage hihats with a paper thin top (under 700g for 14")?

midwayfair

Reaction score
It seems really easy to find stuff in the 800s (I think most people would describe that as "light") and I've seen a few instances of Bosphorus Master Vintage in low or mid 700s, but these are the only ones I've seen that are often in the low 600s for 14" hats:

Agop 30th anniversary
Paiste Masters Thin

In 13", it looks like Agop's dark dry would be roughly equivalent to mid-600s in a 14".

I haven't looked at every brand, but most don't post a weight range in a reverb ad anyway. I've looked at at least some of the boutique cymbal smiths mentioned here and most of them are up in the 800-900 range.

Basically I've got a 668g that I use as the top, with a new beat bottom ~1100, and I really like the feel of these weights. I'm thinking of getting a pair with a different sound but a similar feel. Have I missed anything that I should check out?

Again: Not vintage.

Ian S

Island Time
Reaction score
I haven't seen any that I remember, though I haven't scoured the internet for ultra paper thin hats. But you might consider to commission a pair from, or send a pair for modification to an artisan cymbalsmith.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Two A Zildjian 14” fast crashes would be pretty close to that target weight. If you are willing to make your own pairs, most manufacturers probably offer similar weight 14” as crashes

Tdipaul

Reaction score
Sometimes Dream Bliss HH tops are this thin.

Older Bos "Hammer" hats usually have a thin top

As do the current Jazzmaster versions ( screen shot from cymbalsonly.com )

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Dave Collingwood in the UK crafts really nice thin buttery hats. They are a little over USD 400 for a pair of 14“. Don‘t know if he‘s got some in stock, but you could easily order with him.

Collingwood Cymbals
I was just going to mention him. I have a pair made by him with a very thin top, quite a high bow. I am using the top with a thin crash at the moment, for the softest sound I can get. You can hear the original pair here:
https://soundcloud.com/seb234%2Fmy-collingwood-cymbals

INeedDrumLessons

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems really easy to find stuff in the 800s (I think most people would describe that as "light") and I've seen a few instances of Bosphorus Master Vintage in low or mid 700s, but these are the only ones I've seen that are often in the low 600s for 14" hats:

Agop 30th anniversary
Paiste Masters Thin

In 13", it looks like Agop's dark dry would be roughly equivalent to mid-600s in a 14".

I haven't looked at every brand, but most don't post a weight range in a reverb ad anyway. I've looked at at least some of the boutique cymbal smiths mentioned here and most of them are up in the 800-900 range.

Basically I've got a 668g that I use as the top, with a new beat bottom ~1100, and I really like the feel of these weights. I'm thinking of getting a pair with a different sound but a similar feel. Have I missed anything that I should check out?

Again: Not vintage.
No help at all, but I wanted to say when I was heavy in to guitar pedal building I used to follow you on all of the forums. I ordered and put together your Clipper Ship OD back in the day too. Good to see you again!

2oo2

Reaction score
This turkish brand Masterwork makes really thin cymbals, maybe you can find a suitable hi-hat top or pair from them.

midwayfair

Reaction score
I was just going to mention him. I have a pair made by him with a very thin top, quite a high bow. I am using the top with a thin crash at the moment, for the softest sound I can get. You can hear the original pair here:
https://soundcloud.com/seb234%2Fmy-collingwood-cymbals

Thanks for the recommendation. I had looked at Collingwood's site and I saw that 14s would have been around 1000 on top. I know that cymbalsmiths will lathe off a certain amount, but I thought it might be weird to say, "Hey, these things you make? Can you make it twice as thin?" But I can certainly check with him!

The cymbals in your clip sound good tho :)

Sometimes Dream Bliss HH tops are this thin.

Older Bos "Hammer" hats usually have a thin top

As do the current Jazzmaster versions ( screen shot from cymbalsonly.com )
Ah, I missed that Jazzmaster on Tony's site! I'll take a listen.

No help at all, but I wanted to say when I was heavy in to guitar pedal building I used to follow you on all of the forums. I ordered and put together your Clipper Ship OD back in the day too. Good to see you again!
Crazy! I did NOT expect to find another guitar pedal builder on a drum forum! Drums were my pandemic project. I got a kit for my band's drummer to have here during practices and to record, and looked at all the space it was taking up in my room and said, "Guess I should learn how to play them while they're here ..." Haven't built a pedal in a while, though. Plenty of rack gear and microphones, but I'm a very simple person when it comes to guitar effects these days.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bosphorus Turk 14" hats which I'm playing right now are 666 over 902. What I did was buy a pair of Turk Dark hats, 902 over 1110, and then buy a Turk 14" paper thin crash which was 666. Now the 902 is either the bottom or the top depending on what kind of music I'm playing.

Griener

Reaction score
Ask @toddbishop if Cymbal & Gong has anything in stock.
Most of their cymbals are on the lighter side because they replicate vintage cymbals.
And I haven't played one yet that didn't sound great.

INeedDrumLessons

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation. I had looked at Collingwood's site and I saw that 14s would have been around 1000 on top. I know that cymbalsmiths will lathe off a certain amount, but I thought it might be weird to say, "Hey, these things you make? Can you make it twice as thin?" But I can certainly check with him!

The cymbals in your clip sound good tho :)

Ah, I missed that Jazzmaster on Tony's site! I'll take a listen.

Crazy! I did NOT expect to find another guitar pedal builder on a drum forum! Drums were my pandemic project. I got a kit for my band's drummer to have here during practices and to record, and looked at all the space it was taking up in my room and said, "Guess I should learn how to play them while they're here ..." Haven't built a pedal in a while, though. Plenty of rack gear and microphones, but I'm a very simple person when it comes to guitar effects these days.
Same! played drums off and on for years and decided to take it more serious last year. As far as pedals, I've still got bins and bins of parts but I haven't built anything in a long time. There's only so many fuzzes and ODs to build. I enjoyed the process but was always more of a guitar into amp guy.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure the weights but paiste pst7 lights are killer. I own the lights and mediums both are killer.

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ask @toddbishop if Cymbal & Gong has anything in stock.
Most of their cymbals are on the lighter side because they replicate vintage cymbals.
And I haven't played one yet that didn't sound great.

Thanks for the mention, Michael.

Cymbal & Gong's Merseybeat hihats fill the bill-- this set weighs 671/732:

I haven't carried a lot of MB hats, but C&G is remarkably consistent with their weights, especially within batches. Often cymbals of the same size/model will be within 10 grams of each other. So most of them are probably in the ballpark. I can go over to C&G HQ and pick some out personally for anyone who wants them.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a pair of 14" Agop traditional paper thin crashes that I put together as a set of hats. They were just too thin and mushy. I googled - you can find then in the 600's grams so probably too light. I'd try paper thin crashes or "light" ones.

midwayfair

Reaction score
Thanks for the mention, Michael.

Cymbal & Gong's Merseybeat hihats fill the bill-- this set weighs 671/732:

I haven't carried a lot of MB hats, but C&G is remarkably consistent with their weights, especially within batches. Often cymbals of the same size/model will be within 10 grams of each other. So most of them are probably in the ballpark. I can go over to C&G HQ and pick some out personally for anyone who wants them.
Giggity! That's the sound I was looking for -- really sloshy and delicate!

I can't DM people here yet, can you message me? Or you might be able to e-mail me, I don't know if my profile shows it.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna vote for using a crash for the top, and a hihat top for the bottom. I recently got a 13" bottom as part of a lot that I bought. Just for kicks I put my brother in law's 13" A Custom crash on top, and it sounded amazing!

You can also have Bosphorus make a custom set for you.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have to get them used but Zildjian " Rarities" 14" K Dark Thin hats seem like they'd for what you're after. Lossforgain has a recent thread about them on the for sale page or possibly here on the cymbal page.

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Giggity! That's the sound I was looking for -- really sloshy and delicate!

I can't DM people here yet, can you message me? Or you might be able to e-mail me, I don't know if my profile shows it.

Sent you a personal message....