What are some “sleeper” great vintage drums?

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
These days, the secret seems to be well out on acrolites and standards, entry level drums back in the day, are now known as more or less comparable to supras and jazz fests, respectively.

What are some drums which we might be talking about in similar ways 5 years from now? Not exclusively Ludwig, or even that old necessarily.

Trilock_Gurtu

Reaction score
Some of the old British stuff like John Grey is pretty good but not too pricey. Some MIJ drums also can sound fabulous for peanuts.
Yeah, John Grey stuff are big time sleepers. I have a couple JG snares; birch and COB, both 6 luggers. They are unreal.

Attachments

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
90s era Remo Mastertouch & Masteredge drums with Acousticon-R shells

Also anything from Legend Drums, a short-lived company from the 90s who offered incredibly well-made instruments

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Long-Timers will remember Bobby Chiasson Drum Farm. Mastertouch. He's still at it:

yeah, 6-lug wood snare drums from the American manufacturer's
especially the 6.5 ones .
70s Ludwig Atlas Cymbal stands (all 3 versions. 4 incl Hercules)
DW 5000 Nylon w/o plate pedals
Gretsch 6 lug Dixielands
old no ink A's

Last edited:

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Slingerland kits from the 60’s and early 70’s, we already talk about them though.

I have to agree with fully. I am a die hard Ludwig guy for life but every Slingerland that I have owned or played has sounded and looked great. The finishes look great and the sparkles really pop. I have also found that they are pretty easy to tune. I'll bet a Slingerland bop set sound amazing.

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with fully. I am a die hard Ludwig guy for life but every Slingerland that I have owned or played has sounded and looked great. The finishes look great and the sparkles really pop. I have also found that they are pretty easy to tune. I'll bet a Slingerland bop set sound amazing.
I agree with all of the above Kurt. Here's my BOP 1963 18, 12, 14 and 6 lug snare

Attachments

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pearl fiberglass drums... can't speak first hand but they seem to go like wildfire and for not much bread. There was one on the FB Marketplace last week for $200 with 22 bass, 13 and 14 toms, 18 floor with steel snare. Couldn't justify the miles to go and get it. Last Sunday, I brought a Pearl FG bass I found to NY for DFO member Aaron Latos. He showed me how easy it was to get the old wrap off and I was amazed how nice they looked in the sun back lit! I decided I was going to drive the miles to get the kit but it was sold! Ah well, another will pop up. Our resident Studio drummer, Tommy Wells (RIP) swore by these drums... he said they record like a dream! Japanese take on Rogers hardware is pretty cool on the older drums!

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yamaha YD9000, 8000, and 7000 kits in the 1977-1983 era (pre-Recording Series, pre-Tour Series, and Tour Series)....before Recording Customs and Tour Customs took up most of the attention. These kits are not well understood by even those in the drumming community. All of them are professional type kits and can be found very reasonable from time to time because Yamaha never put the actual model name on these.

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
The early, nicer (made in USA) Ludwig Rocker sets now often occupy the low cost territory where the Standards and Club Dates used to turn up. They aren't bad drums and the earliest ones sometimes even had classic lugs. They tend to sell for cheap but they have nice four ply shells and can sound very nice. The downside (for some) is that most of them are power tom sized, and the solid color wraps were somewhat flimsy and can crack.