What are some “sleeper” great vintage drums?

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So many great drums and series posted already and I dont really disagree with any of them. I think for myself, I agree the most with the idea of the 1970's Niles Slingerland's being a real sleeper. From the time these they were bought through most of the decade, they were really producing some quality instruments.

two recent restorations....

20180421_192550 copy.jpg

20190406_141826.jpg

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I own a ‘74 Niles Slingerland kit.

The snare - a Krupa COB - is really great and underrated.

The drums from the kit are also really nice, though I had the chrome wrap removed after too many years of abuse, and asa result, the edges are also redone.

But...Slingerland hardware from that era was pretty bad. Screws stripped easily and the cymbal stands didn’t hold up. I bought Pearl hardware to replace what came with the kit.

SKSMITH

Reaction score
Early 80's Ludwig Rockers & Rocker II's.
As mentioned, you can get them cheap and they are the same shells as the Classic line, from that same time. The early ones were built in Chicago.
Instead of the modern Modular hardware, you got the old Ludwig post tom mounts & floor tom mounts. The interiors on some are speckled Zolacoat, to hide imperfections.
Good drums for their value, basically the Standard's of the early 80's with a black/white badge instead of the blue/olive badge.
Steve

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
Late 70s Slingerlands sound just amazing and they came in all sorts of cool finishes. While the double tom mount leaves a lot to be desired, it works, but the single seto-matic tom mount, copied from a Fibes design, is one of the best yet devised. The bass drum spurs are also a weak point, so try to find a bass with a double set of them. I think all 24's came with a double set. Their snare drums, from the cheapest to the most expensive, are the best. Slingerland had a lot of different products, especially snare drums and finshes.

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Slingerleedy. Great shells, pretty lugs. And vastly underrated....
I just recently picked one up. You’re very correct, I was really impressed with the shell when I changed heads, and the drum sounds phenomenal. I kinda hope the word doesn’t get out about these, haha.

bfulton

Reaction score
I agree that the COB Gene Krupa Slingerland snare is underrated. Once I rebuilt the Zoomatic, and cured a dent in the shell, I fell in love. A truly find and versatile snare!

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
80's Pearl Exports

Yes even with "that" tom mounting system and POWER tom sizes. Most can sound very respectable and can be had for pennies.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
80's Tama Imperialstars, Royalstars, and Swingstars. Lots of people have gigged with these drums. And they can be found cheap like the Pearl Exports. It's gotten to the point where much of the 1980's has been completely discounted except for the very top of the line drums from each manufacturer....like YRC's. But most everything from the 80's just keeps getting cheaper and cheaper. I keep seeing 80's Tama Superstar kits costing less and less. Those are getting to be superb values when shell packs are $500-$650. 80's and early 90's Tama Granstars are superbly made all birch drums, which are frequently found dirt cheap. Finding a shellpack for $350-$500 is not hard.

Last edited:

thejohnlec

Reaction score
I agree that the COB Gene Krupa Slingerland snare is underrated. Once I rebuilt the Zoomatic, and cured a dent in the shell, I fell in love. A truly find and versatile snare!
I have the COB Sound King version of this, renamed after Krupa passed. I paid $30 for it. It was quite dirty but became a jewel after I cleaned it up. All original with the shell protector tab on the Zoomy. I agree that it has amazing tone!