What are some “sleeper” great vintage drums?

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above Kurt. Here's my BOP 1963 18, 12, 14 and 6 lug snare
Hi,
Hope I’m on your list if you ever decide to sell. I thought almost had you convinced a few months ago. ????

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
PDP I know is not vintage and my only experience is with the CX series from 2005 and the Concept Maples. I liked the CX better and I think they're great sounding drums.

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pearl Fiberglass drums are perhaps some of the best sounding, affordable sleeper vintage drums out there. Stripped of their wrap they have a beautiful presence when backlit, not to mention they sound astounding! Here's one recently completed with custom 7 x 13 snare.

IMG_20200128_101306604_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190930_140140017.jpg

Last edited:

dingaling

Reaction score
Sonor swinger is one of the best deals out there. Same exact beech shell as teardrops but plastic lugs. Sounds amazing. I’ve seen them sell for $300. Not a lot of size options, most were 12x8, 13x9, 16x16, and 20x14 but that’s should cover most gigs. I have one. I recommend getting your hands on one!

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Hope I’m on your list if you ever decide to sell. I thought almost had you convinced a few months ago. ????
You're top of the list if I decide to sell. There are just a few sets that I can't seem to part with and know I'd regret if I did.

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
The CB700 Free Floating snare drums from the early 80s can usually be had for way less than their Pearl counterparts. Now barring the condition... The one I have is a 6.5x14 maple shell. For those who have never played the original Pearl/CB700 FF snares it's the same drum. The lugs & hardware are actually better imo than what the modern FF drums made by Pearl currently use. The bottom diecast hoop had adjustable bridges so you could set the height of the extended snares. My FF snare is a beast. I've seen them on eBay cheap in the past. No one wants a CB700. They actually owned the FF patent and had an agreement with Pearl to manufacture them.

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Rogers "Big R" XP-8 kits from 1979 - 1984. 8 plies of 40-year-seasoned New England Rock Maple, perfect 45 degree bearing edges, hand measured on a flat granite table. These drum sets are a steal, pure and simple.
Thought it was Canadian Rock Maple?

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sonor swinger is one of the best deals out there. Same exact beech shell as teardrops but plastic lugs. Sounds amazing. I’ve seen them sell for $300. Not a lot of size options, most were 12x8, 13x9, 16x16, and 20x14 but that’s should cover most gigs. I have one. I recommend getting your hands on one!
Had a set once...I didn’t know about the teardrop thing!...Set went to Japan....

dingaling

Reaction score
Had a set once...I didn’t know about the teardrop thing!...Set went to Japan....
yea, and a big plus is the plastic lugs make them paper light to carry around which Sonor players I’m sure appreciate. Also I’ve heard you could retro fit the champion/phonic lugs in the swinger holes due to same spacing. Never tried as it would add a lot of weight for no reason, the plastic lugs have held up. Although like the Ludwig standard could break.

LBCD

Reaction score
Valley Custom, my 14x7 with added die casts hoops. An amazing drum very similar to the Rogers XP10’s of the day.

B48C72A6-7923-4E67-A4C1-E1478675224D.jpeg

My 14x8 Rogers

7DBBD393-D599-4769-98F6-756F44C4B76D.jpeg

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The CB700 Free Floating snare drums from the early 80s can usually be had for way less than their Pearl counterparts. Now barring the condition... The one I have is a 6.5x14 maple shell. For those who have never played the original Pearl/CB700 FF snares it's the same drum. The lugs & hardware are actually better imo than what the modern FF drums made by Pearl currently use. The bottom diecast hoop had adjustable bridges so you could set the height of the extended snares. My FF snare is a beast. I've seen them on eBay cheap in the past. No one wants a CB700. They actually owned the FF patent and had an agreement with Pearl to manufacture them.
Yeah. I totally get that. Thanks for posting that. I was always super surprised at how great my friend's CB 700 kit sounded and felt. The snare was nice, too.
Sweet.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Look at this thing!

6 of the meanest looking tube lugs I've seen with flanged rims. Crazyness.
I bet it sounds kinda cool, Luan shell dries it out a bit, probably. You could tune a two ply head waaay down low for a big swampy thing.

It looks like something that I would hesitate to tension tightly. All those cracks and snaps as it tunes up would startle me with fear of a snapped part or flying clip!

Last edited:

Latest posts