What are some “sleeper” great vintage drums?

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The CB700 Free Floating snare drums from the early 80s can usually be had for way less than their Pearl counterparts. Now barring the condition... The one I have is a 6.5x14 maple shell. For those who have never played the original Pearl/CB700 FF snares it's the same drum. The lugs & hardware are actually better imo than what the modern FF drums made by Pearl currently use. The bottom diecast hoop had adjustable bridges so you could set the height of the extended snares. My FF snare is a beast. I've seen them on eBay cheap in the past. No one wants a CB700. They actually owned the FF patent and had an agreement with Pearl to manufacture them.
There are also non FF CB700 deep COS snares that sound really good and have all the "tweakability" of a Super Sensitive. One of my students picked one up lat year and brought it to me to tune. I could have tuned it for ages and come up with a bunch of cool tunings, so we settled on one.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by “sleeper”?
I would say that "sleeper" refers to anything that offers very good quality/performance/price but is largely ignored for one reason or another. For example, a great product that is overlooked because it's brand name is not typically associated with excellence.

Such as the aforementioned Pearl Free Floating and parallel-lay snare drums that were rebranded and sold under the CB700 label. I had one of each, and the construction was near-identical to the Pearl offerings. Same with most of the CB700 Mark Series drumsets with "wristwatch" lugs. Most of the floor tom leg mounts were stamped "Pearl" inside. (I'm not recommending the drum sets, only some of the snare drums.)

And I hate to sound like a broken record, but the made-in-Mexico Pacific (aka PDP) drums are - in my opinion - the most overlooked and underestimated drums ever made. My CX Maples are twenty years old this year. I bought them new, and every time I play them I'm again amused that in the past I've bought drum sets that cost ten times what I paid for the Pacifics, but didn't sound better.

DW hit the ball right out of the park with their first foray into inexpensive drums, yet first-era Pacific CX drums can still be purchased for $300 for a five-piece kit. Sleeper? I'd say so.

GeeDeeEmm

bfulton

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
I would say that "sleeper" refers to anything that offers very good quality/performance/price but is largely ignored for one reason or another. For example, a great product that is overlooked because it's brand name is not typically associated with excellence.

Such as the aforementioned Pearl Free Floating and parallel-lay snare drums that were rebranded and sold under the CB700 label. I had one of each, and the construction was near-identical to the Pearl offerings. Same with most of the CB700 Mark Series drumsets with "wristwatch" lugs. Most of the floor tom leg mounts were stamped "Pearl" inside. (I'm not recommending the drum sets, only some of the snare drums.)

And I hate to sound like a broken record, but the made-in-Mexico Pacific (aka PDP) drums are - in my opinion - the most overlooked and underestimated drums ever made. My CX Maples are twenty years old this year. I bought them new, and every time I play them I'm again amused that in the past I've bought drum sets that cost ten times what I paid for the Pacifics, but didn't sound better.

DW hit the ball right out of the park with their first foray into inexpensive drums, yet first-era Pacific CX drums can still be purchased for $300 for a five-piece kit. Sleeper? I'd say so.

GeeDeeEmm
Old PDP CX are amazing. I had some for a beater kit & ended up loving them.

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
best bang for the buck sleepers....

50-60's Slingys are hard to beat
US mfg'd Kents (recut the edges)