What are the best triple flange batter hoops?

fitzsy

Reaction score
Chrome over brass 2.5mm from drum factory direct. I don’t play anything else on my drums.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Brass hoops indeed sound great (not necessarily brass-coloured but the core being brass instead of steel).
With steel hoops, there are mostly two different thicknesses, 1.6 and 2.3 mm. I guess there aren't too many manufacturers that make them, so they might all be pretty similar. The chroming could be of different quality, and then there was/is this issue of 2.3mm hoops being larger and causing lug "splay" with Ludwig snares, for example.

jaymandude

Reaction score
Chrome over brass 2.5mm from drum factory direct. I don’t play anything else on my drums.
on toms for me. But not rim shot backbeats. They're too thick for my aging hands. I'd rather used older Ludwigs..

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A lot of brands are similar these days, most probably made in the same factory. I have found Pearl superhoop II’s to be the most consistent as far as being flat, and the chrome doesn’t flake. DW has their “true hoops” which are supposed to be guaranteed flat, but I don’t go out of my way to buy DW products.

I’m usually fine with Gibraltar ones, but I do buy a few at a time and send back the ones that are a little off.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For me it's more about the sound; brass is richer in overtones. Then again, this might not always be what you want.

BNK

Reaction score
A lot of brands are similar these days, most probably made in the same factory. I have found Pearl superhoop II’s to be the most consistent as far as being flat, and the chrome doesn’t flake. DW has their “true hoops” which are supposed to be guaranteed flat, but I don’t go out of my way to buy DW products.

I’m usually fine with Gibraltar ones, but I do buy a few at a time and send back the ones that are a little off.
Gibraltar is now owned by DW so they're still getting your $$$$

BNK

Reaction score
I find the COB softer on my hands than steel for backbeats on my supra.
Brass hoops are definitely softer than steel and if you're a heavy hitter that always plays rim shots you can actually deform the hoop over time.

The DW "True Hoops" are decent hoops but at 3.0 mm really zap a lot of life out of a drum.

Pearl Super Hoop 2 hoops are very consistent and great quality hoops at 2.3mm, which is strong enough to withstand abuse but not choke the drum.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Drum factory direct 2.3mm are basic and well priced......I'm not a fan of 1.6mm and 3mm is too much. I'd rather have stick choppers or die casts at that point.

Latest posts