What are the cheapest sticks you're willing to play (and pay)?

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow! That's amazing! I buy a pair and after a couple months of playing I can actually feel like the stick is starting to give internally. At that point I trash them before they crack and become dangerous.
Maybe the 5BX, Groovers or Daniel Adair models.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think we need to acknowledge that there are cheap (poor quality) sticks and there are inexpensive (good quality) sticks. The Music Go Round sticks I bought are inexpensive. The best example of this were some of the bagged sticks from GC I picked up years ago. A lot of you are familiar with the Vic Firth Peter Erskine Ride stick - it has a very distinctive tip that none of the other stick companies have. I was looking through the bags and found one with those sticks, so I bought it. Out of the 10 pair, all of them were usable, and I matched up 6 or 7 really good pairs. The only difference between the unlabeled bag sticks and the labeled full price sticks in the rack was cosmetic - there were small knots or streaks in the wood, and that was it. I still have a lot of them.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
For me, the cost of sticks is negligible. I play lightly and quietly most of the time, and a pair usually lasts me years. So I gladly spend 10 bucks for a pair of Vaters (Manhattan 7A Hickory or 8A Sugar Maple) and know that I get sticks that are matched in pitch and weight and sound great. If there´s a cheaper alternative I don´t really care. :)

MrYikes

Reaction score
I haven't played in years, but started recently. I bought a pair of Zildjian sticks just to put on the drums to show off if I ever post of pic of my drums, I use promark because of the price. I have always used 7an. I bought from china ebay 6 pair for $9 maple ball tips, what I received was basically a 6a, they sell the same stick whether you order 7a or 5a. They are light. The problem is that I like them and now going back to promark is tough. The promarks feel very heavy and un-responsive and skinny. Because I play softly now these light weight sticks will do, though I will find some with nylon tips. Because I am trying to re-learn muscle memory for rim shots, I am marking these sticks up quite a bit, but haven't broken any.

Stickclick

Reaction score
I bought some Nova sticks that are working well for me.

I don't care what brand sticks I use. I go to a music store, see what's on sale and if I like them then I buy them.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
Awhile back, I bought 50 pairs of sticks from a place called "Straight Sticks" for $100. A buck a stick. Been playing them for some time and they seem to work as well as any others. But that's just me.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
So what am i doing wrong? I prefer wood tips but they just wont last at the tips. I have never broken a stick or cymbal or head and play at a low to medium volume with my hands.
Doesn't mater what brand or wood the tips get splintery then the chips start flying off. I do almost always use the tip on hats, maybe i need to try other technique?

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I bought from china ebay 6 pair for $9 maple ball tips,..... They are light.
Maple, most likely.
Cheap Chinese maple. Made in the millions.

I prefer wood tips but they just wont last at the tips.
Doesn't mater what brand or wood the tips get splintery then the chips start flying off.
Some guys put hard clear nail polish on their stick tips to reduce chipping but I've found Zildjian and Vater balltips to have good durability overall, naturally some batches will be better than others due to their moisture content at the time of distribution to dealers.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So what am i doing wrong? I prefer wood tips but they just wont last at the tips. I have never broken a stick or cymbal or head and play at a low to medium volume with my hands.
Doesn't mater what brand or wood the tips get splintery then the chips start flying off. I do almost always use the tip on hats, maybe i need to try other technique?
That's weird! I've never had tips splinter on me and I use wood tips as well. I don't see where technique would have anything to do with it since you don't use a tip to smash the cymbal. The only place I eventually have seen them chipping is somewhere in between the neck and the shoulder which is where you usually crash the cymbal and even that can be reduced depending on the angle that you are striking the cymbal. As soon as I see that, I trash and replace the stick. It's possible though that since I replace sticks as soon as I see any damage, maybe that's why I've never seen splintered tips. You didn't say what sticks you are using? Maybe a different stick might help!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Awhile back, I bought 50 pairs of sticks from a place called "Straight Sticks" for $100. A buck a stick. Been playing them for some time and they seem to work as well as any others. But that's just me.
I went to their website. Didn't know they existed. They look good and cheap and they are made in the USA. Good find! Those guys need to advertise!
I'd love to try something like that if they had some sort of combo in different sizes. I'd hate to be stuck with a brick in just 1 size. I'm going to email them and see.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Anyone tried the Aquarian graphite sticks? I'm curious because they seem a lot cheaper than the Ahead drumsticks and I've read good reviews about them. I've never tried anything that's not wood (except back in like 1990 when they had those weird plastic type sticks. I forgot what they were called!) They were terrible!
These are the Aquarians:
Aquarian.png

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I have no problem with the Sound Percussion 5B's. I use those often and a pair typically lasts about a month. I haven't had problems with warped or unbalanced sticks, at least no more than a "top" brand. I've been using Promark LA Specials 5B's recently, and those last about 2 months, so price wise it's pretty close, just less waste.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For a couple years now, I’ve been working my way through a brick of VF factory seconds I got off eBay for like $15. They were supposed to have been the Akira Jimbo sig stick when I bought them, but they actually ended up being the Peter Erskine ride stick, which was more than fine with me.

Other than one stick from the whole brick being noticeably curved (which really effs with the rebound, it turns out!), it’s been a pretty awesome investment.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I don't think you're doing anything wrong. It's not technique, and I play low to medium high volume. The MGR house brand sticks I bought were 5A nylon tips, because I'm getting tired of sticks that are virtually new with flat spots on the tips.

Targalx

Reaction score
I play primarily 2B sticks for rock. The problem I have is that 2B, although a universally stocked size, is not universal in dimensions and weight across brands. It seems that the variance is somewhat wide, actually. So, if I finally find the "just right" 2B, I stick (no pun intended) with it. Those Sound Percussion sticks have been the "just rights," especially at their price point.

I'm sure the major brands might make a "just right" for me, too. (In fact, one of the major brands might even be the OEM for Sound Percussion [GC]...?) But, for the premium price, I'm just not sure if it's worth it for me to explore. Again, I am not a very nuanced rock player, so my stick needs (and latitude of acceptance) might be substantially different than some of the others here.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I play primarily 2B sticks for rock. The problem I have is that 2B, although a universally stocked size, is not universal in dimensions and weight across brands. It seems that the variance is somewhat wide, actually. So, if I finally find the "just right" 2B, I stick (no pun intended) with it. Those Sound Percussion sticks have been the "just rights," especially at their price point.

I'm sure the major brands might make a "just right" for me, too. (In fact, one of the major brands might even be the OEM for Sound Percussion [GC]...?) But, for the premium price, I'm just not sure if it's worth it for me to explore. Again, I am not a very nuanced rock player, so my stick needs (and latitude of acceptance) might be substantially different than some of the others here.
It might be coincidence but I have found that anything that's "B" size, is sized different across different brands as you say. Everything I've tried that's "A" is pretty much the same in different brands. Weird! So the issue is not just in 2B's. I use 5B Promarks and they feel like bats compared to the Los Cabos 5B's. I actually like using both for different purposes but it's strange how they are so different.

dirtysicks

Reaction score
I have a seemingly never ending stockpile of Sigs and common models from VF, Vater and Promark. Many of the ones you see in bags are factory seconds while the rest are stock models. No real noticeable difference except for the few warped ones out of 20 pairs that I would give to young drummers after church.
31AEE7E7-162C-49F9-B332-4FB58A63C306.jpeg
A46E0084-37F9-4478-A27C-E3B4C8315FC4.jpeg
2952ED9A-E95C-455D-85C1-A9E6DDF5784E.jpeg