header.nohb.html

What are the current top 3 Afro-Cuban books?

Drummer69BB

Reaction score
Please give me your opinions on the top 3 contemporary Afro-Cuban books. I have several and would like to see if my materials are 'dated.' Thanks in advance.

Drummer69BB

Reaction score
Thanks for that - I have Conversations in Clave, also a great book by Frank Malabe and Bob Weiner (Afro-Cuban Rhythms for Drumset).

Jimmy Branly has a new book out too.

Reactions: T-2

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That Malabe/Weiner book was the first serious Cuban book I was aware of-- in 1988 everybody at USC was copping the guaguanco groove from that. It left me with a lot of unanswered questions though-- like what clave is was still mysterious. Uribe's book is a full blown indoctrination, for people like me who are coming to that music as North American drum set players. Re: clave he walks you all the way through what it is, where it came from, how it functions and how the music is organized around it.

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that Uribe’s book is the most comprehensive. It breaks down what to do in different situations with various percussionist configurations and also what the rest of the rhythm section is doing. I also like Tito Puente’s and Chanquito’s books. Although they are more geared toward timbales the drumset in Afro Cuban music comes from the timbales. Most of the drumset drummers are timbaleros and can play all of the other parts. That helps them construct sound and authentic Afro Cuban drumset rhythms. The Chanquito book incorporates bass drum and gives a method for learning the rhythms. The Puente is another that breaks down what the rest of the rhythm section is doing. I recently purchased Dafnis Prietos book which is more broad and not specifically Afro Cuban but it seems a sound pedagogical work.

vxla

Reaction score
- Beyond Salsa Percussion, volumes 2 and 3 are outstanding for breakdowns of modern timba patterns.
- Afro-Carribean Rhythms for Drum Set by Chuck Silverman
- Timbafunk (Díaz, Garibaldi, Spiro) is a good book that will outline how to play with other percussion instruments in a more folkloric manner.

Honestly if you haven't been to Cuba in the past 10-15 years to study, your material is likely dated. Even today's timba is vastly more funky than timba from 2000.

Last edited:

Drummer69BB

Reaction score
- Beyond Salsa Percussion, volumes 2 and 3 are outstanding for breakdowns of modern timba patterns.
- Afro-Carribean Rhythms for Drum Set by Chuck Silverman
- Timbafunk (Díaz, Garibaldi, Spiro) is a good book that will outline how to play with other percussion instruments in a more folkloric manner.

Honestly if you haven't been to Cuba in the past 10-15 years to study, your material is likely dated. Even today's timba is vastly more funky than timba from 2000.
Excellent! Thanks for that, will attack them once they arrive!

gwbasley

DFO Master
Reaction score
What is this?... no one mention of Dough Auwater's " Essential Latin Styles for the Drumset...?

This book is a must for anyone delving into Latin Rhythms....foe me it is the Bible!

Drummer69BB

Reaction score
I've been impressed by the Silverman book.
About 1/3 of the way through it - would highly recommend it as well. A lot of historical explanation of how the rhythms came to be, why the accents are important, the intended feel of the groove...very well laid out in a manner that builds upon itself.

Going to grab Auwater's book next - this forum has some good insight!

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

T-2

Reaction score
Thanks for that - I have Conversations in Clave, also a great book by Frank Malabe and Bob Weiner (Afro-Cuban Rhythms for Drumset).

Jimmy Branly has a new book out too.
I was there (taking lessons) at the original Drummer's Collective, around 1979/80 when Frankie was trying that stuff out, he'd pull me into a room and sing patterns and get me to play them on the kit. Frankie was just the greatest guy, and so very talented; I'm so glad they put that book together and that it lives on.

Drummer69BB

Reaction score
I was there (taking lessons) at the original Drummer's Collective, around 1979/80 when Frankie was trying that stuff out, he'd pull me into a room and sing patterns and get me to play them on the kit. Frankie was just the greatest guy, and so very talented; I'm so glad they put that book together and that it lives on.
Wow that would have been cool. My high school private teacher and university head of percussion department both were Berklee College of Music alumni and both studied under Alan Dawson. Same deal. They both (themselves literal world class drummers) would say how down to Earth he was and how 'he made it look so easy.' I love that we have all of their body of work forever preserved in books such as those mentioned in this thread.