What are these 3 red drums in this vintage listing for $100?? The story CONTINUES - 18" Ludwig keystone virgin kick - original. Purchased new!

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
40's Slingerlands? Marchers or actual kit drums? They appear to be mostly original with heads too. Might have been drilled to mount as toms?

Attachments

Last edited:

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Based on the tom mounts on the bass drum hoops the toms could be real SRK toms. Plus the fact they have small beaver lugs I see those with wooden hoop toms,not always but more than once.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
except for the 3rd drum with single tension tuners....but it could still be awesome
dtk

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, they look like RK's to me as well.

Haven't you left yet???? Don't respond while driving!! ;^)
Ha. Ha. I called on it when it was an hour old....and too late I might add. Seller told me it was spoken for and they would honor their original price of $100. If those are RK's then the whole package could be in the $600-$1000 range. The ad is now down. The BB acrolite and virgin Keystone Ludwig kick aren't bad either. $80+ early Zildjian, vintage stands, cowbell, extra parts, unopened brushes. Best deal I've seen ever in my area.

zz1.jpg

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Why don't sellers spend a little time on line (Ebay, CL, blogs, forums) to see what they really have? 5 minutes on Ebay and you'd find out quick the snare drum and/or kick drum exceeded the asking price.

Last edited:

levelpebble

Reaction score
I think a large part of the psychology is the 'time (and space) is money' concept. Seller KNOWS at $100 or so this pile will be gone instantly and grandad's headache will be off my plate forever. You list it at $500 and we'll all still call, but we're trying to get them down to $200-$250 over the phone. I doubt that most non-drumming sellers want to put up with the tire-kicking. Just give me my garage back, they say.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, the Monday morning QB in me says "DOH" - you should have jumped on it!!!!
Sometimes, you just go on your gut & instinct. I would have said:

Bass - $100 (likely WAY more) - heck the badge is $50!
2 upper toms - $100 (looks like nickel RK lugs) easily in parts
FT (Leedy/Ludwig marcher) - $100
Cymbal/stand - $100
Acro - at least $100
==================
$500 - no brainer!

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I couldn't jump on it....the listing was 1 hr old when I saw it. I messaged immediately and was told it was already spoken for....seller would not discuss it further...even though I suggested there was more value there. I figured it was $600+ easy. The listing is gone. That's that.

Didn't figure on an 18" kick. When I see those in person even the 20's look tiny. I can't really tell from the photos without a known tom size sitting on top. But no doubt the Ludwig experts could evaluate the lug size and badge placement and come up with the dimensions. If I measure up the bass drum logo of the 18" kick linked below, it seems to take up more space than this CL drum.

18" kick face for comparison

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tama, we've all been there & done that.....a killer deal (even if all is not known), but as soon as you see it, despite only an hour old, it's long gone for whatever reason.....sold, retracted, 2nd thoughts, bogus deal.........don't dwell on it, man....

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They're baaaaaaaack.

Apparently, the owner of this kit received so many calls to buy it for $100 that they decided NOT to sell before they knew more about them. I had let them know that they were worth well over $100 and to call me if they ever had any questions. Today they called. I was stunned that the items were still for sale. Fortunately, they'll got the lion's share of their legacy rather than the next owner. I spent a lot of time on the phone getting details and measurements. So here goes.

The husband bought the Ludwig part of this kit brand new around 1968 in a Connecticut music store. No original receipt though. The keystone badge #'s on the kick and snare agree with this. The heads on all parts of those 2 drums are 100% original. Kick, snare, snare stand, 16" cymbal, cymbal stand, and kick pedal. A cute little 2 piece kit....nice mojo. A short while later he ran into the RK's in Maine and added these 13/14" as toms. He painted over them in this red finish to better match his burgundy kick. They don't have any cloud badges on them - no air hole - just some muffler knobs. The 5th drum is probably a former 14" Ludwig marching "key stone" era drum as it has holes for snare throw off and butt plates. It was painted over burgundy as well. Now the gooooood.

Bought new in the later 1960's.

Ludwig 1966/67 18x14 inch virgin kick drum in what appears to be burgundy sparkle. Original hoops/heads. No holes. 442XXX.
Ludwig 1967/68 Acrolite with original heads and #2517124 strainer. Probably pretty nice shape too having sat for 47 yrs. 545XXX.
Zildjian 1960's stamp 16" RIDE cymbal - weighing around 1250-1300 gms - and ink stamped "ride." How cool.
Ludwig cymbal stand, snare stand, speed master kick pedal. Fiber case holds orig sticks, brushes, brochure, cowbell, etc.

So this was this guy's drum set until around 1972 when he graduated high school and mothballed the kit. Apparently never really played it again. The kick drum has spent most of the past 40 years in a closet. I asked them for more close up shell pics to assess the snare and kick. I suspect the 18" virgin kick in that finish wasn't the most popular drum for rock...and sat in the shop for a while as an orphan looking for a home.....until the "young kid" decided it was cheap enough for him. What a stroke of luck....and he almost sold his legacy for $100 a few weeks ago. Photo of the finish below. It's the only dark sparkle finish other than Galaxy that I can see. But owner says there are sparkles in it...with a general "mocha" look. So for a wrapped shell with a seam - burgundy sparkle is the only darker wrap that seems to fit. Only shows up in the catalog for a few years and then is gone.

The RK's have no badges or other identifying features except muffler knobs and ink stamps on the heads....see photos in next post. These don't fit the kit and I told them should be sold separately along with the Ludwig converted snare drum. The kit items would appeal to 3 or 4 different types of collectors. Their "dream" was to sell their cherished kit to a good home, ideally keeping it "intact." I told them that the mix of drums will probably never allow that...while still achieving most of the kit's value. And the concentration of value in one drum doesn't help. But they do have a mini-Ludwig student 2 pc. drum "kit" bought brand new. And burgundy sparkle toms could easily be added, even if rewrapped. How many can say they own an 18" virgin keystone kick - original heads - and in this finish? Had the owner still played or gigged in the 70's you can bet this kick would have been drilled for 1 to 2 toms.

Lots of cool stories popping up on the forum this week. Must be vintage week. If someone has interest in the RK's and located in Connecticut/MA/RI let me know. They are going to sell the Ludwigs as well...after some further investigation and research. Maybe post it on Reverb with a shipping option. Would be cool if there's a 12 and 14" burgundy sparkle toms out there "waiting" for their kick drum to show up. But I like this 2 pc kit a lot and adding a couple toms to complete it. 2 cool drums and some stands with a cymbal....bare essentials.

ludwig burgundy sparkle 1.jpg

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
RK photos and one of the Acrolite snare side. These RK's are still mysterious. The wood finish is a bit chewed up under the paint on one of them. And what was the original color - probably a lacquer. Only stripping the paint will give the answer. Radio King experts please chime in.

Attachments

Last edited:

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are factory Ludwigs with similar finishes to that kick, at least from what it looks like in those pictures. Did the owner confirm there's a seam? Because it could be a drum painted at the factory that has a degree of sparkle in the paint. I'll try to find some examples.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
While they were going over the drum on the phone they did say there was an exterior seam on it. I'll ask for a photo to confirm. In fact I asked them to send me photos of all 8 panels and the heads....want to get a good look at it. Took us about 10 minutes on the phone just to figure out it was a 18x14 and not an 18x12.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I saw that bronze mist finish on a REVERB kit and assumed it was mid-60's only....and maybe not even available by 442XXX serial number. Yet, it does sort of look like that....almost like dark walnut.

Last edited: