What are these 3 red drums in this vintage listing for $100?? The story CONTINUES - 18" Ludwig keystone virgin kick - original. Purchased new!

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I saw that finish on a REVERB kit and assumed it was mid-60's only....and probably not available by 442XXX serial number. The hoop inlay on the seller's kit is silver colored....not drum finish color. I'll push for more details to get the answer.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There's the winner who identified the l'il kick early on. Well done Fishaa.
It’s why I get paid the big bucks.

FYI... Maxwell’s in NYC had an orphan bronze mist 12” shell floating around for the longest time.
Check with them and grab it!!! It was dirt cheap.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks Fishaa. I still have to figure out if this is a lacquer or a wrap. Bronze mist, dark walnut, burgundy sparkle, are still options.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
The bass looks like mahogany lacquer like on the Roy Haynes Jazzette kit. Definitely not a sparkle or wrap. I have a pristine matching Pioneer.

What is up with the serial # on the Acro throw?

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The bass looks like mahogany lacquer like on the Roy Haynes Jazzette kit. Definitely not a sparkle or wrap. I have a pristine matching Pioneer.

What is up with the serial # on the Acro throw?
Will check out the Haynes kit. Thanks.

The acro # I mentioned earlier was the part # on the snare wires. Did you want something else off that drum?

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that link JDA. Mahogany and Walnut stain could be choices.

TheElectricCompany.....Acro was 545XXX....about a year later than the kick drum. Sorry, I mixed them up on that earlier post....now corrected. Which would all fit with an unwanted orphan kick staying in the store for a year. The teenager picked out the kick and the Acro.

I asked a well versed vintage drum restorer I know about the kick and their first impression was mahogany lacquer.. Then changed their mint to the burgundy mist lacquer with 1/2" wide silver sparkle hoop inlays......and noted the Slingerland drum hoop claws are not Slingerlands, lugs were RK's, and it would be a shame if WMP was painted over with red. We'll figure it all out yet.

Last edited:

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
It does look a lot like Bronze mist to me as well. Here is a decent pic of the finish on a Dec 11 1965 Club Date tom that I have.

Mike
my 65 bronze mist tom.jpg

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I'm going with Mike on this one for it being bronze mist. IMO there is no way that this is a wrap. It's also cool to see that it is a virgin bass drum. I'm not entirely sure why a music store would have had a virgin bass drum on hand like that but nonetheless it's pretty cool. Stranger things happen for sure. I was super fortunate to find a lone 1968 mod orange 14x14 a few years back on CL. When I asked the guy that had it why he only had that drum he said that it was a lone drum on the floor of Jacks drum shop in Boston in 1969. He said that it was part of a larger set and the person that bought the set didn't want the 14x14. The guy I bought it from bought the lone drum and played it with a Sonar set for years and years before giving it the best home possible in my drum room as part of my 1969 mod orange super classic.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool story Wflkurt. I can guess that the rest of that original brown mist sold and the 18 was swapped out for a larger size. Or maybe it was a minimal space display model or in the front window? In any case, the original owner is only a phone call away and I can ask him the "why" of picking out that lone kick drum. I'd bet it was the price.

Last edited:

drums147

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That was certainly my first thought way over the radio king toms.
Agreed . . . that BD is worth 2 or 3 times what old RK marchers are worth . . . just because it is RK doesn't make it a collector's item. There's a big difference in the value of a "rare" drum and a "collector" drum. NAD

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here is the original Jazzette kit in mahogany (of course this BD is 12x18 like mine).........please post a better pic of your bass drum with good lighting. I will post a pic of my original finish mahogany Pioneer once I get home......thanks. Bronze mist has a fine sparkle-type look (like a pearly paint job on a car finish) where the mahogany is more of a dark red painted color with no sparkle look......

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here is a link to a bronze mist snare with good pics - you can see the sparkle type appearance.

Below is a link to a vintage Mahogany finish. This one has more pronounced grain visible, though - my Pioneer is mid 60's and the color is right, but not much grain is visible (hence more like a paint vs. stain)......

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll post better pics of the bass drum once I get them from the seller....could be days or weeks though. They're no longer in a "hurry" to unload their kit now that they know it has some significance and value. The seller did state it had a sparkly look. Bronze mist seems like the one.

Not sure if I made this clear, but the 3rd red painted drum was a Ludwig 14" - probably an ex-marching 60's Keystone badge snare drum. I also have to check what damage occurred to the batter hoop on the kick drum from clamp mounting those Slingerland toms for several years....maybe very little if lucky...no worse than a kick pedal rash.

Last edited:

Latest posts