What are these brown dots on my cymbals?

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just noticed this today and it's only on 2 cymbals, coincidentally they sit next to each other and they are both rides (Soultone & Istanbul Mehmet). They are little brown dots and I have no clue what the
heck it is. My kit never leaves the room and it's always A/C at 67 at night and 78 in the day time. Window has blinds so no direct sunlight either so I don't think it's environmental. What can it be?
mehmet.JPG
soultone.JPG

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oxidation.
From what and how? Why only on these two cymbals that aren't even made by the same company?
And identical little brown dots?
I've seen oxidation before as brown spots and have removed it with groove juice but never this. Weird!

andlours

Reaction score
It looks like you could've gotten sweat or a drink or something splashed on them, causing them to oxidize.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It looks like you could've gotten sweat or a drink or something splashed on them, causing them to oxidize.
I don't know but I guess anythings possible. I don't sweat enough to cause a splash or anything like that when I play LOL! And I never drink near my kit so I really don't know. I've thought about every possibility. I use Red hickory drumsticks and even thought if they were marking the cymbals. I checked and it's not that. I have one of those plugin air fresheners in an outlet which has a little liquid bottle. That's the only liquid near the kit. But that thing just warms the liquid for the scent. I wonder though if it somehow vaporizes in the air and falls back on to the kit. I'm looking at every angle. Since they are little dots it's gotta be some sort of mist. It's just really strange that it's only on two of the cymbals and they are next to each other. I'm gonna look deeper into it tomorrow and see and also try removing the dots with Groove juice.

1up2dn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
sneeze?
I would get rid of that air freshener stuff also...toxic...

ThomFloor

Reaction score
Those are stick marks. Notice they are on the 2 ride cymbals you have.
Play them more and they will fill up all the cymbal surface. Worry not, play on.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
sneeze?
I would get rid of that air freshener stuff also...toxic...
The air freshening department is controlled by the wife, that's one of those topics I don't touch:p
Maybe I will talk her into getting one of those Renuzit dome looking air fresheners that are solid instead of that liquid stuff for my drum room.

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Play them more and they will fill up all the cymbal surface. Worry not, play on.
I thought of that but I'm not sure. The drumheads I think would have the marks too. Last night I purposely got a stick and rapidly hit the ride repeatedly for like a minute on the side that has none of those spots and nothing. So I don't think it's the sticks. It's gotta be the oxidation. Also, I tried getting a towel with a little soap and water and it doesn't come off. So definitely not stick marks.

Frank Godiva

Reaction score
It's about the sound. Only you will see it. I have always believed that one should not clean cymbals as they develop a more complex sound profile with more patina, but I an old guy with old ideas.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree with ThomFloor - stick marks. The reason they don't show up immediately after you play is that whatever your stick is depositing on the surface hasn't had time to establish whatever chemical reaction is taking place. Have you tried using nylon tips?

On the other hand, when I store my cymbals for a while, I always clean them before they go in the case. I use Bar Keeper's Friend. Inevitably, when I open the cymbal case weeks or months later, there is always a few stains.

GeeDeeEmm

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I vote oxidation.

I had the same thing happen on one of my Craig Lauritsen rides. In the case of my Lauritsen ride it happened when the cymbal was sitting near vertically against a wall under a window. The window was leaking a bit of air (it's a 1914 house with wooden joinery) and after a big rainstorm I noticed the oxidation on the portion nearest to the window. I wiped off the spots with soap and water but the ghosted image remains. It can happen with any cymbal which does not have a coating to prevent air getting to it. Humidity in the air can do it, and any other particulate matter put into the air (air freshening) might act as a catalyst for droplets to form. If you live near enough to the sea there is salt in the air as well. If you live in a city there are a number of other chemicals which might promote oxidation in the air -- remember acid rain?

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree with ThomFloor - stick marks. The reason they don't show up immediately after you play is that whatever your stick is depositing on the surface hasn't had time to establish whatever chemical reaction is taking place. Have you tried using nylon tips?

On the other hand, when I store my cymbals for a while, I always clean them before they go in the case. I use Bar Keeper's Friend. Inevitably, when I open the cymbal case weeks or months later, there is always a few stains.

GeeDeeEmm
Yep, tried them and don't really like them. I like natural tips. I'm gonna try cleaning it off and then put some turtle wax for protection. I might also buy some of the same Los Cabos sticks but in regular hickory to see how that works out.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I vote oxidation.

I had the same thing happen on one of my Craig Lauritsen rides. In the case of my Lauritsen ride it happened when the cymbal was sitting near vertically against a wall under a window. The window was leaking a bit of air (it's a 1914 house with wooden joinery) and after a big rainstorm I noticed the oxidation on the portion nearest to the window. I wiped off the spots with soap and water but the ghosted image remains. It can happen with any cymbal which does not have a coating to prevent air getting to it. Humidity in the air can do it, and any other particulate matter put into the air (air freshening) might act as a catalyst for droplets to form. If you live near enough to the sea there is salt in the air as well. If you live in a city there are a number of other chemicals which might promote oxidation in the air -- remember acid rain?
I don't know! I just bought our house brand new 6 months ago. And it's one of those new super energy efficient homes that's like totally sealed + my a/c runs all day and the drums don't even get sunlight so I don't know if that would apply in my case.

ThomFloor

Reaction score
I don't know! I just bought our house brand new 6 months ago. And it's one of those new super energy efficient homes that's like totally sealed + my a/c runs all day and the drums don't even get sunlight so I don't know if that would apply in my case.
Every home has oxygen and humidity, some water vapour in the air.
Your cymbals look new with no patina. Your stick hits a coating, marks it, and the ingredients in air react. Doesn't matter if plastic or wood coated sticks.
Ask yourself why are these not on your crash cymbals? What do your hi hats look like?Better yet test the hypothesis - are the remarks on the underside of the ride cymbals? If not, voila, solved.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Every home has oxygen and humidity, some water vapour in the air.
Your cymbals look new with no patina. Your stick hits a coating, marks it, and the ingredients in air react. Doesn't matter if plastic or wood coated sticks.
Ask yourself why are these not on your crash cymbals? What do your hi hats look like?Better yet test the hypothesis - are the remarks on the underside of the ride cymbals? If not, voila, solved.
True! I get what your saying now. I didn't connect the dots with the "hitting & then exposing". I reread your original post and understand what you mean. My cymbals are like 2 months old so yes they are new. My hi-hats are fine, I figure because they don't have the bright finish of the rides the same thing apparently doesn't happen to them. They are pretty dark Istanbul Mehmet hats. I just checked the underside of the rides which I hadn't thought of doing and you are absolutely correct, it is clean. So it definitely is oxidation from where the tips hit the rides. I guess they have a different coating or something because I had never seen this happen. I've previously had Sabian & Paiste and with those I never saw anything like this. And same environment in Florida which is very humid. Now the question is if this is caused by any types of sticks?
Like I previously posted, I'm using Red hickory with natural tip. I really don't like nylon. I figure though that the Red hickory has nothing to do with it. The impact is what's causing it which in the end would be the same with any stick. I'm just gonna get rid of the marks with some cleaner and then wax the cymbals for protection. I will do it regularly on a set schedule and that should fix the issue. I know people say: Don't clean, the patina etc..
I like them clean and don't like seeing the marks. So that's what I will do. Thanks for the input and discovering what the cause was. I appreciate it!
LRod

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Learn to love those marks. It means you are using your equipment. They won't hurt a thing. Remember your "factory fresh" cymbal that had fingerprint smudges on it? Even brand new they will have some marks. You could make it your goal to cover the entire surface with marks evenly from practicing.