What are these Ludwig shells?

makinao

Reaction score
Someone is selling these shells for USD 90. Any ideas what they are? My guess is a supra on the left and an acro on the right. Is this worth the time, effort, and money to restore?

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow too rich for my blood in that condition. Those drums need a ton of parts and elbow grease. Free might be the right price. Are you thinking of buying and restoring them?
Coy

Last edited:

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not worth the effort or investment in hardware.

GeeDeeEmm

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting, that shell on the right looks to have a embossed/extrude badge area... when did Ludwig do that?

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interesting, that shell on the right looks to have a embossed/extrude badge area... when did Ludwig do that?
They didn't. The B/O badge is still there, either coated with a layer of silver paint or sandblasted/sanded/polished (or however they removed the chrome from the shell) to the badge's underlying aluminum.

rock roll

Reaction score
The one on the right...is that a rare lug?
I saw a thread yesterday about Ludwig 405 's , it was the bongo snare thread... Someone had posted a pic of a rare snare with those lugs, only 4 known to exist.
was this lug normal for this model?

Rotarded

Reaction score
The one on the right...is that a rare lug?
I saw a thread yesterday about Ludwig 405 's , it was the bongo snare thread... Someone had posted a pic of a rare snare with those lugs, only 4 known to exist.
was this lug normal for this model?
That is a 5" chromed Supraphonic shell that looks to have been sanded, not an Acrolite, hence the imperial lugs.
The rare one you are refering to is mine. (DFO member P83 has another of the 4)

rock roll

Reaction score
That is a 5" chromed Supraphonic shell that looks to have been sanded, not an Acrolite, hence the imperial lugs.
The rare one you are refering to is mine. (DFO member P83 has another of the 4)
Thx..and congrats on the rare snare.

makinao

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I was eyeing the one on the right if the swivel nuts are in good shape, and if I could get it below US$50. But the seller hasn't replied yet. Stay tuned.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They didn't. The B/O badge is still there, either coated with a layer of silver paint or sandblasted/sanded/polished (or however they removed the chrome from the shell) to the badge's underlying aluminum.
Ahhh... the "badge" area looked so thick to me that I thought it may not be a badge and rather embossed/extruded directly into the shell.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you already have a bunch of extra Ludwig parts, then in my opinion two vintage Supra shells, even as ugly as these, are WORTH the asking price. Why? Because they will sound great.

If you don't have any extra parts already laying around, then it could cost quite a bit to make both of them whole again. Plus the time involved in making them look nice.

Stretch