What Are You Doing Today as a Drummer?

kdgrissom

Reaction score
Coffee while practicing Songo, Cascara, up tempo Bossa, Chapin book on feet, pad work with rudiments and Stone....then beer!

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Heard that HS was there and Clapton asked well why am I here?
Yeah, well there will only ever be one Hubert Sumelin here,there or anywhere . Freddy Green , Charlie Christian,same thing . At least Clapton had an honest sense of humility ...

The original Fleetwood Mac did an album in Chicago too . They did better than OK .

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Flam patterns and their assorted variations (Flam-a-cues, Flam accents, Flam-a-diddles, ect..)

Been working thru these daily for months, maybe even years. Why? Because to me, they're pretty darn challenging and if ya don't use it -ya lose it, and I don't wanna lose it but to be honest progress is slow- yet I'm determined!

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Analyzing the occasionally awkward drumming on the Howlin' Wolf London sessions album and how it can be avoided .
The BB King sessions were spotty too, but still some good stuff, like Ghetto Woman with Dr John and Power of the Blues.
It's blues rock

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Getting my stuff ready for Saturday's festival gig. I am 95% committed to my recently acquired Super Classic Kit but the 22" bass is overly loud and I may want to tone it down to a 20" set.......ugh!

I'm also practicing a song I will play on the side stage - Dire Straits' Water of Love - very tricky! Also, working on some fills and endings for our regular songs......

Basically, overthinking it!

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
My bass player is involved in an original punk rock band and I’m helping record their demo so we had practice tonight.

polycrescendo

Reaction score
I'm getting to know a mysterious thick bamboo snare, running it though different tunings.
Also working on internalizing some open-handed spang-a-lang ride patterns, hope no one can hear me.

Philly James

Reaction score
I’m a guitar player (yeah, I know), who is trying to restore a family heirloom kit. (See Vintage Forum). Wish me a lotta luck. And, if I can make it there, I can make it anywhere....

Last edited:

shnootre

Reaction score
I’ve been writing out 2-bar linear funky beats in Finale and then learning them on the kit - dreaming of actually have these be the foundation of an album.

Also working on my LRF triplets and all the inverted diddles around the kit. And John Riley’s 3-voice comping in 8th notes (from Beyond Bop). And also thinking about how to nudge the French grip I’ve been working on for half a year into American.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
You should listen to the Drumeo Podcast with Tony TC Coleman. He'll explain why the drumming is crap.
I've been drumming 58 years, played in many blues bands, did a gig with Hooker, I knew when I heard it, I wouldn't say crap, just inappropriate. I will check that out to see if I agree. Thanks

edit: I can't find anything on Tony discussing those London sessions, his take on the blues is great, not everyone would agree. Blues in an arena is one thing, but not the whole thing. Blues is about what YOU bring to it, you don't follow someone else's rules.

the drummer and keyboardist support the solo dynamically while the bassman holds it down.

more interaction from the drummer with Buddy

this is rock drumming, feel ain't bad, too busy for blues.

busy but it works

Charlie Watts' take on a similar tune

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Trying to remember which heads I used to use on the previous Pearl fiberglass some years ago . It's a lot of fiddling around, changing heads and adjusting tunings .

Putting together a whole mess of drums for a photo on KIJIJI .

Working on my New Orleans rhumba(s), Teeny Weeny Bit etc.

Latest posts