What Are You Listening To?

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've been digging this newer songwriter from Wales, Cate LeBon... She's got a really unique style and her music is really well arranged (she's a great guitarist). Her music is one of the few things that can make me want to cry... it's that deep!

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can relate, I'm just a few years younger than you and though I've been a jazz fan (and more recently, a jazz drummer) for many years, I didn't really grow up with that music and only got into later, as an adult. I did however grow up with stuff like the Clash who I also love to this day... as well as all kinds of other rock type stuff, though the new wave/punk stuff that came out along with the clash in the late 70s-through the 80s is some of my favorites music.

I find that folks who are really into jazz that are my age and older, seem to have mostly sworn off rock music (though they might dig more subdued things like Steely Dan, but that's not really "rock."). I help to put on a yearly jazz festival and it's the younger players who are more like me and more agnostic about music. They all studied and can play the most complex, most subtle music, but they're likely to also be fans of Nirvana, hip hop and the like...
I am a huge Steely Dan fan too. Just haven't gone out of my way to listen to them in many years. I have not sworn off of rock music for good, I still listen to alot of newer prog. But I only have so much time left on earth and spend the bulk of my listening time to music I want to play on the drums or my guitar and it tends to be jazz, blues and acoustic guitar based singer-songwriter stuff

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
This compilation for Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffa has been on my listening schedule since so picked it up this week . Really great songs and both Matthew and Susanna are great .

You may recognize Susanna as lead singer of the Bangles .

I love the purity of her voice. She could make anyone sound great.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I am a huge Steely Dan fan too. Just haven't gone out of my way to listen to them in many years. I have not sworn off of rock music for good, I still listen to alot of newer prog. But I only have so much time left on earth and spend the bulk of my listening time to music I want to play on the drums or my guitar and it tends to be jazz, blues and acoustic guitar based singer-songwriter stuff
Yeah, Steely Dan seems to be one of those things that people either love or hate... which makes me a bit of an outlier as I'm kind of a fair weather fan. I have nealry all of their LPs and went through periods where I was listening to most every individual one a lot, but these days they mostly sit uplayed. They're one of those bands that though there's really nothing else when I'm in the mood to hear that kind of thing, I'm rarely in that kind of mood. Though the changes, the playing and the lyrics are very clever, there's something a bit "canned" about them which limits my appreciation. With jazz albums that I have (and I own quite a few), I generally like the ones where the leader has the same band from track to track rather than the ones where the lineup is different from song to song. I often like an artist's albums that have a sort of "regular working band" over ones that were done with an all-star lineup. SD sort of goes against all of these things, going for some kind of perfection over a real band vibe...

I still listen to a lot of heavy, angry rock stuff... It's as if at my advancing age, my teenage angst still hasn't worn off yet. Oddly the kind of music that I've really concentrated on playing in the last many years has been jazz and I enjoy playing some very introspective stuff.

Latest posts