What Are You Listening To?

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just ran across this @ YT.....The song is called "Bull Doze Blues" by an artist named "Ragtime Texas" (actually, Henry Thomas). Listen closely and I think you might recognize it under a different name, but the real kicker is the story that was posted on this page. Really demonstrates "The Power of Music".......

...and here's the story that was posted in response to this video.....

My great-grandfather fought in WW1 for England (he was Scottish), in 1918 he befriended an American soldier who offered him work on his family's cattle farm in Huntsville after the war.
Great grandad was lost mentally and craved a sea change, so he accepted the offer.
In the mid 1920s he wrote in his diary about seeing an amazing black musician called 'Rag Rhyme Texas'. His music reached him in ways no other white music had before, and it transformed his outlook forever.
He returned to Scotland in the Great Depression, and in 1968 his nephew played the Canned Heat version on his record player.
Great grandad nearly had a heart attack and broke down in tears, that panpipe chorus was unforgettable he said.
After much research my uncle found the record of Henry Thomas in the 70s, and we learned that his nickname was actually 'Ragtime Texas'.
This is a story our family passes down from generation to generation, and we owe Henry Thomas so much in helping our family out of a very dark place.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm reading ' Looking to get Lost " by Peter Guralnick and he's devoted chapters to these guys . The book's real good and the music even better.

Last edited:

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Man I really like Monk - and I think Ben Riley is becoming my favorite Jazz-Drummer - such tasty playing!
That picture looks like one from a documentary I saw recently on one of the subscription services. About a photographer guy who owned a NYC apartment and had the building wired up with microphones to record all the impromptu jam sessions that the jazz musicians who crashed there were doing. It's called The Jazz Loft. Give it a view. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/jazz-loft-w-eugene-smith-842577

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is so good, in so many ways.

So many...

And not the creepy old man way either hah!

..maybe a little. Feh!

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taylor Hawkins tearing it up with Alanis. Gary Novak did a stint with her as well, but this line up kicked so much ass.