What Are You Listening To?

marc3k

Reaction score
Maaan, somebody posted this in another thread and I can't stop playing it!

RayB

Reaction score
That's a nice list. Inspired me to dig up Something Cool by June Christie...if that doesn't melt your heart, you're a better man than I.
Nice list. Lately, my favorite list:

Chopin Polonaises (Maurizio Pollini, piano)
Topsy (Original Count Basie band)
Back in Your Own Backyard (Billie Holiday)
Polka Dots and Moonbeams (Count Basie at Newport, with Lester Young on tenor, Jo Jones on drums)
Sent For You Yesterday and Here You Come Today (same as above, w/Jimmy Rushing, vocals)
Free Falling (Tom Petty)

I've been drumming for over 50 years, still gigging, still practicing 2-4 hours daily. What I listen to often has no bearing on what I'm playing with my band. Nor do I necessarily listen for the drumming. Lester Young had the most beautiful sense of phrasing I ever heard. Billie Holiday, too. Jo Jones just playing his hi hat with that original Basie rhythm section...Father Time. Chopin gets to my heart. And I dig that Tom Petty song.
Sometimes I learn more about drumming when I don't listen for it.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I have no idea why. I have everything up to Duke. Then the wheels fell off for me. Selling England By The Pound and Trick Of The Tale are my two favorites. Then Steve Hackett left.

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Radiohead. This tune, and National Anthem are just great sings. Especially this one, and the video is perfect

Frankie Valli still. Who Loves you

Bobby Womack Across 110th St

Bee Gees Nights ob Broadway. Perfect groove for a great tune.

Great stuff