What Are You Listening To?

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Hines played piano like it was a trumpet, and Sweets Edison played trumpet like few others. They are the only two musicians on this album, which stands on its own musical merit. However, it is also perfect for drummers and/or bassists to play-along. Brushes or sticks work. Either way, listening pleasure or play-along, it's a treasure (IMHO, of course.)

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Been playing along with “Bitches Brew” lately. It’s got that hypnotic ambience that’s good for just working on your flow. “Thought is the enemy of flow.” — Vinnie Colaiuta

marc3k

Reaction score
Here is the rosetta stone for understanding Monty Alexander. Interestingly, on this album the legendary bassist, Leroy Vinnegar, traveled to NY to record this:

Did you catch that "who will I turn to" quote here? (29:26) I immediately identify it with Bill Evans. Any idea why Les plays this here?

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Did you catch that "who will I turn to" quote here? (29:26) I immediately identify it with Bill Evans. Any idea why Les plays this here?
Good catch (and association with Bill Evans). Why did Les play it? The same reason why Sonny Rollins quoted Easter Bonnet in the middle of a song when the clock ticked over to midnight on an Easter Sunday. I played with a pianist for almost eight years who would sometimes allow a chord progression to cause her to skip to another song with the same progression until she caught herself and got back on track. Or just fooling around and seeing if the audience is paying attention. I recall Dick Morgan (a pianist hero of mine) who quoted the Popeye The Sailor theme for two bars in a totally unrelated song. I wonder what inspired that :)

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
...also. Richard Carpenter quoting "The Shadow of your smile" during his solo in the song "Dancin' in The Streets"....

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You never stand in the same river twice .... after 50 years, I've 'discovered ' Abbey Road .

RayB

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakme (opera), Delibes

Buck Clayton "Swinging with Buck" 1937-1953

Sonny Boy Williamson, compilation, "Nine Below Zero"

Really interesting opera. I get the opera bug sometimes.
Buck Clayton was such a tasty player, no wonder he made so many recordings with all-time greats.
There have been a gazillion covers of Chicago blues, but for me, none top the sound of those Chess records. Love Sonny Boy Williamson. Also love the sound and groove of those drummers; Fred Below, Elga Evans, etc. The tempos were perfect for those tunes.
I've come to believe "time" is different in every era. It isn't determined by metronome time. We drummers are very precise today, chops up the wazoo. When I hear even the best drummers play that blues style, it always sounds too crisp and too fast, even though they're locked onto a click track. It's not that the old guys were better: they lived in a different world, a different "time." It's great we have them on recordings.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rolling Stone redid their Top 500 song list, to much wailing and gnashing of teeth (though something can be said for the best compromise to be where everyone is equally unhappy). So very much of it is music I simply don't care for and would never listen to. Some of the descriptions are so breathlessly hyperbolic they almost read as parody.

But it's healthy for me to eat things that aren't necessarily "yummy", so by god, listening to things that aren't to my taste has to be healthy, too.

So me and my wife have been sitting down and listening to 10 at a time each evening.