What Are Your Favorite Drum Introductions?(not the best or most complicated)

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My pleasure - Gordon's jazz influences are on display for that intro, and he just kills it. He manages to swing and groove, all while sounding funky. It's as good as it gets. There was a reason he was in high demand. Glad it made your day!
Indeed his jazz influences are very prominent. And he does a masterful job combining them with the rock feel the song ultimately needs.

5stroke

Reaction score
Poinciana by Ahmad Jamal, with Vernel Fournier playing a sweet little groove at the very intro and maintaining throughout the song, with a few minor color splashes.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
This one is a super minimal intro part... just a couple of cymbal crashes, but it introduces the tune nicely and the tune is great IMHO. For me this album represents Allan Holdsworth's very best playing...

Last edited:

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about 1) Montrose Rock Candy, 2) Grand Funk We’re an American Band 3) Zeppelin When the Levee Breaks 4) Audio Slave Animal 5) Nazareth Son of a Bitch 6) Audio Slave Wooden Jesus 7) The Who Slip Kid / Magic Bus 8) Zeppelin The Rover 9) Frampton Money 10) Alice Cooper Under My Wheels
Money! Yes, by Frampton. Great bright, ringy, "British" kind of mix. Lively drums, they are.

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never heard this although these guys are all my age. I was a straight Jazzer during this time and all of that passed me by. However I am a huge EC fan and just finished listening to this. It is incredible on every level and hard to believe it was recorded so well Live back then. Gordon's drumming is so, so good!!! Thanks, made my day.
This is super-fine, developed rock drumming. Not "poundy" in the least. It's really a fairly jazzy approach to technique. It blew me away as a kid drummer coming up. It still does, and I should have studied it even more.

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For drum intros:
Billy Jean
Rosanna
Fifty Ways
edit:
and Take Five, of course!

Anything starting with that Motown tom-to-snare six stroke roll, might be my favorite pick-up. If you know what I mean, could you post an example?
Try "Ain't Too Proud to Beg," by the tempting Temptations.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Anything starting with that Motown tom-to-snare six stroke roll, might be my favorite pick-up. If you know what I mean, could you post an example?
Try "Ain't Too Proud to Beg," by the tempting Temptations.
The original, a Phil Collins's inspiration piece:

PC version with a Debbie Boone finish, complete with sticking demo.