What are your favorite splash cymbal brands, sizes and types?

PJP

Reaction score
Great reply everyone, thank you for all of your advice.

Paul

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have an 8 inch A that doesn't really project enough and sounds kind of tinny for me. My go to is a 10 inch brass Meinl that I got with a low-end set and just kept the splash after selling the rest. It sounds great.

Spare is a 10 inch Wuhan which sounds bright but not a lot of penetration.

Last edited:

Bri6366

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 10" Paiste Signature that sounds great. I like the good old A. Zildjian Splash. I also like the Paiste 2002. They are harder sounding than my Sig.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The only splash I own is a little 10” HHX. Amazon used to sell them for $15-$20 all the time a few years back.

Easily the worst I’ve ever tried was an 8” Bosphorus New Orleans. Even wailing on it, it barely produced a whisper.

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
The only splash I own is a little 10” HHX. Amazon used to sell them for $15-$20 all the time a few years back.

Easily the worst I’ve ever tried was an 8” Bosphorus New Orleans. Even wailing on it, it barely produced a whisper.
Ha! Came here to post about the same HHX splash and the Amazon deal!

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have an 8" Zildjian that I used for long time in my dixieland days but rarely use it these days. Had it for 30 years .....my only Zildjian cymbal. All the rest are Bosphorus ...

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
How do you hit that cymbal at 1 o'clock?

"Go go gadget crash"?

:p
Hitting the splashes was the easy part.
Try playing those rides! :tard:
That setup didn't last long, but it's pretty much how the Ludwig kit looked when I first got it.

Elvis

Last edited:

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
8" & 10" Paiste Sig Dark Energy. For me, they are perfect. Fast, complex, very musical. If I need a different sound I usually use a Paiste PSTX or Rude series.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will second the love for UFIP Class splashes. I had 8" and 10", and they were wonderful and musical.

My all-time favorite splash was an Istanbul pre-split 8" - just marvelous, glassy, and the best splash-choke I've ever heard.

Years ago I used to have the Istanbul, both UFIP's, a Sabian China Kang, and a Zildjian Oriental Trash Splash - all set up at once. I was in a jazz/funk/blues band, and really liked the variety of sounds. Now I'm down to just one. I'm currently using a Zildjian 11" K Hybrid Splash, which I bought used off a friend of mine. I was very pleasantly surprised, and actually use it all the time.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve got a few that serve slightly different purposes. 12” wuhan has a very short decay and a little trash to it, and is probably the closest to a true old timey splash effect.

12” late 90’s A zildjian splash is very clean sounding and opens up instantly but a has a bit of sustain that puts it on the border of crash and splash

My favorite that gets the most stand time is a 13” Zanchi Vibra that is more complex than the zildjian but not as dirty as the wuhan and hits and dissipates very quickly

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
UFIP Class 10" and the UFIP Natural Series 10" - the Natural is interesting without being weird , a musical,melodic 'bark' .

I own a Paiste Traditionals 11" , a perfect bridge between a splash and a small thin crash . This is a keeper . I've held onto it since @ 2001 , unusual for me .

At 1:58 ,listen closely, you can hear my 11" Paiste - ( shameless promotion )

Last edited: