What Are Your Most Helpful Independence Exercises / Videos?

tbird8450

Reaction score
I'm sure a good number of folks here (including myself) were beginning drummers well before YouTube existed, but I'm coming back to drumming after a long break of well over 15 years and could use some help. I'm finding that certain aspects of playing have come rushing back very quickly, while with others it's been difficult to break the rust loose. In particular, disconnecting my right foot from my other limbs has been a big challenge. Years ago I used to be able to lay down a pretty fair Fool In The Rain shuffle beat, but now, yikes. It's a big mess of my right hand trying to follow my bass drum foot at all costs and when I try to add in the ghost notes on the snare, forget about it. I'm open to any effective exercises / videos that are focused on hand / foot independence and work well for you. I think I sort of powered through it via perseverance when I was younger and more pliable, but my brain is much more stubborn nowadays. Thanks.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of good ideas in this thread. Be sure to read into the 3rd and 4th pages.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Okay, you need to take two steps back before you step forward again. Play each limb separately before adding one then the other. This is a fairly simple groove as only three limbs are pretty much in use until the chorus. So, hi hat (swing feel) over and over again. Then add the bass drum and play them together over and over till you feel comfortable. Start the hi hat first, then add bass drum. Then start the bass drum and add the hi hat. Then start them together. The snare drum can be added with just the backbeat. Leave the ghost notes out til you are really swinging the groove. The idea is to get the swing on auto-pilot with the hats and bass drum together. Just focus on the snare beats and ghosting. Take your time, it may take a day or two. Relax.

tbird8450

Reaction score
Okay, you need to take two steps back before you step forward again. Play each limb separately before adding one then the other. This is a fairly simple groove as only three limbs are pretty much in use until the chorus. So, hi hat (swing feel) over and over again. Then add the bass drum and play them together over and over till you feel comfortable. Start the hi hat first, then add bass drum. Then start the bass drum and add the hi hat. Then start them together. The snare drum can be added with just the backbeat. Leave the ghost notes out til you are really swinging the groove. The idea is to get the swing on auto-pilot with the hats and bass drum together. Just focus on the snare beats and ghosting. Take your time, it may take a day or two. Relax.
Yeah, this is similar to what I've been doing. I'll keep at it. But I just brought up that one particular song as an example, I need to work on redeveloping my skills in this area generally. I did order Ted Reed's book on syncopation as well. That looks like it will be a help.

stevil

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been on a major Benny Greb kick recently. His Language of Drumming book is fun and very useful for building up your vocabulary and independence. It gets a lot of bonus points for being well written for solo use, by which I mean a reader without an instructor can get a lot from it on his or her own, whereas books like Stick Control and Syncopation need a bit of guidance to unlock their potential.

I'm also enjoying 4-Way Independence. It's a real mindbender and I confess that I'm nowhere close to making it groove, but it nevertheless feels beneficial.

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
David Garibaldi's Future Sounds helped me work through a lot and it's fun to work through.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure a good number of folks here (including myself) were beginning drummers well before YouTube existed, but I'm coming back to drumming after a long break of well over 15 years and could use some help. I'm finding that certain aspects of playing have come rushing back very quickly, while with others it's been difficult to break the rust loose. In particular, disconnecting my right foot from my other limbs has been a big challenge. Years ago I used to be able to lay down a pretty fair Fool In The Rain shuffle beat, but now, yikes. It's a big mess of my right hand trying to follow my bass drum foot at all costs and when I try to add in the ghost notes on the snare, forget about it. I'm open to any effective exercises / videos that are focused on hand / foot independence and work well for you. I think I sort of powered through it via perseverance when I was younger and more pliable, but my brain is much more stubborn nowadays. Thanks.
play along with this. Don't come out till you got it down fairly.....

i think you can do it
it's all in 4/4

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer by Jim Chapin is the gold standard for rhythmic independence. Although it is geared toward jazz, it will help to free up your limbs with any genre. I highly recommend at least getting started with a qualified teacher. A teacher can show you how to use the method correctly so you can eventually teach it to yourself.

If you can read rhythm, another great book is Progressive Steps to Syncopation for the Modern Drummer by Ted Reed. There are innumerable ways to utilize that book including playing the rhythms on bass drum, snare, bass and snare, while you play a rock groove, jazz groove, funk groove, Samba, etc. That book is an invaluable resource that every drummer should own.

Another option is a list of exercises that I posted in the in the thread “Comping Workout,” in the Teacher’s Lounge section. Again, it’s geared toward jazz, but you can play the exercises in any genre. Here’s a link to that thread:

Whatever method(s) you use, in my view, building coordination should start from the ground up - play all of the exercises very slowly, with a metronome, and own them before trying to play them faster. It’s not a race. Relish the journey.

Last edited: