What bass drum batter head should I get?

Johnny K

Reaction score
For classic small group jazz I recommend coated Ambassadors on both sides and a moleskin patch if needed. It worked beautifully for the essential jazz records of the day and is still the truest tonal combo for classic jazz and bebop .
Watched a video recently on YouTube where some guy did a shoot out with a bunch of different heads and he did the Ambassodor playing jazz licks and it thought it sounded the best for that. It has a sound like a large tom, like the old jazz recordings you speak of. On the other hand, with my coated P3 with a fuzzy ball beater I can get that booming sound like Joe Morrello.

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play mostly jazz, funk and maybe soft rock but nothing heavy. My bass drum is 22” thin and light and I don’t have bass drum batter heads laying around to try out and they are not cheap either to buy multiple and try them out. I wanted to know what is a good versatile 22” bass drum batter head I can stick to? Is coated or clear ambassador your go-to? I see lots of people using coated Powerstroke3 (the older model with blueish stripes). I like to have that controlled but boomy sound of 22” bass. i think Steve Gadd also uses powerstroke3 on his 22” bass.
I'd use coated bass drum heads for "acoustic" sounding music: old school jazz, blues, roots, classic big band. I'd use clear heads if I played more "electric" sounding music: fusion, rock, any "modern" music in general.

PS3 is very versatile. Kind of an industry standard. If it sustains too much you might need to muffle with a pillow or felt strip. If you decide it's too muffled or not bright enough, you can cut out some or all of the inner muffling ring.

I've actually gotten away from the PS3 and went back to Coated Emperor on my 20" kick; I like it better.

Also, every drummer should have spare bass drum and snare drum heads. So, don't feel it's a waste if you end up with an extra head - it might come in handy some day.

Jazzhead

Reaction score
My bass drum actually came with a clear Remo powersonic head (I have the original smooth white batter head too) and the powersonic I believe is pretty much like a clear PS3 but with extra muffling in the back. I think it will only makes sense to get a coated head now, either a coated PS3 or a coated ambassador/emperor. Coated PS3 is more versatile head than coated ambassador I believe. Which one should I go with?

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My bass drum actually came with a clear Remo powersonic head (I have the original smooth white batter head too) and the powersonic I believe is pretty much like a clear PS3 but with extra muffling in the back. I think it will only makes sense to get a coated head now, either a coated PS3 or a coated ambassador/emperor. Coated PS3 is more versatile head than coated ambassador I believe. Which one should I go with?
Coated PS3.

Houndog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to like the coated PS3 but I've become a huge fan of the Aquarian Super kicks on pretty much all my basses now (16/18/20/22). I don't like Aq. heads otherwise, but I really dig the punch. If you want some vintage boom, loosen your reso head (usually mine are Remo Fiberskyns)......
Hmmmm , I would think crank reso up a bit for vintage ???

Rick

Reaction score

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like the Emad w interchange foam rings on the outside of the head. Very easy to swap different size foam rings or none at all. Does anyone use these anymore or am I an army of 1?

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
For years I used nothing more than a clear Ambassador with various muffling. I too switched to a clear PS3 just because it's a good deal more controlled, with a ported coated Ambassador up front. Muffle to taste or none.

yamgb

Reaction score
I like the Emad w interchange foam rings on the outside of the head. Very easy to swap different size foam rings or none at all. Does anyone use these anymore or am I an army of 1?
Tried an SK1 and an Emad with the full ring on a stage custom birch 20" Emad made the drum sound "bigger" and more solid. SK1 did it no favours!

Latest posts