header.nohb.html

spazapproved

Reaction score
I feel, the DW Control Beater is the top available bass drum beater out there. But that's my opinion, so what is your go to choice of beater?!

Here is why I love the DW Control Beater

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the Vic Kick wood and felt beaters. I especially appreciate that, due to their shape, they make even contact with the head even if the pedal becomes slightly misaligned.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought into the hype and got myself a Low Boy and it turns out that it was worth the hype for me. I really dig it.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm old school -- I'm using Yamaha medium felt conventional beaters on a double Speed Cobra.
The original Tama beaters are little hammers, and I went through two bass batter heads before I switched them out.

spazapproved

Reaction score
I bought into the hype and got myself a Low Boy and it turns out that it was worth the hype for me. I really dig it.
I have a set of Low Boy beaters.. was so stoked cause I got them color matched to my kit... but they ATE my bass drum head so fast... they just tore it apart. Was crazy.. and i had a pad on it!

Bigcode09

Reaction score
I mood from the DW double-sized to the wood Vickicks. The weight is more preferable

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently ran across an Ahead square felt beater at my local music store. So far I’ve just tried it on my Signia 22x18 bass and we’re getting along well.

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
A pair of Sound Percussion acrylic beaters I got about 20 years ago. Use them about 95% of the time. When they have too much attack I use a pair of hard felt.

Trilock_Gurtu

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a set of Low Boy beaters.. was so stoked cause I got them color matched to my kit... but they ATE my bass drum head so fast... they just tore it apart. Was crazy.. and i had a pad on it!
Weird, I've had a Low Boy on my practise kit for about a year now, with a patch on the head, and no issues. Been a great beater.

jakeo

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Lowboy with the leather face and no problems. I do have to make sure it's hitting flush.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although I prefer the sound of solid-felt beaters (I have a pair of DWs) their balance just doesn't suit my feet — not quite enough 'slam'.* So I'm using the felt sides of stock DW two-way beaters. (The trouble with those is that the felt eventually wears-down and they need to be replaced.)

*Since I'm using DW9000 pedals I might be able to adjust their feel for more slam, but a) Their feel is perfect with the stock 2-way beaters, and b) I'm too friggin' lazy to dick-around with them.

mzd

Reaction score
Although I prefer the sound of solid-felt beaters (I have a pair of DWs) their balance just doesn't suit my feet — not quite enough 'slam'.* So I'm using the felt sides of stock DW two-way beaters. (The trouble with those is that the felt eventually wears-down and they need to be replaced.)

*Since I'm using DW9000 pedals I might be able to adjust their feel for more slam, but a) Their feel is perfect with the stock 2-way beaters, and b) I'm too friggin' lazy to dick-around with them.
Have you tried moving the beater weight up on the felt beaters? If you bring it all the way up, that should get you pretty close to the weight of the two-way beater.
For me, the two-way beater is too heavy so I use the felt beater.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Years ago I used wood beaters with a protective pad on the batter head. These days felt beaters do just fine for me. I do use wool beaters on calfskin heads though.

Mike

Heavy Beech

Reaction score
I have used Danmar Beaters since the mid - ‘80s , and they’re still the best fit for me . Have some of Hard felt ones that I sometimes use , and theyre excellent btw - but primarily use their wood beaters . Solid feel and balance , the shafts don’t bend, and all their models can be had with a longer shaft if need be for larger bass drums . I use 26” bass drums most often and that’s an asset for hitting in center of drum. Love Danmar .

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you tried moving the beater weight up on the felt beaters? If you bring it all the way up, that should get you pretty close to the weight of the two-way beater.
For me, the two-way beater is too heavy so I use the felt beater.
Thanks, I have indeed tried this and it still falls a bit short. I really should fiddle around with the pedals' cam adjustments, because I much prefer the solid felt beaters.